Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP - Bike and a camera van
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Jannerboy
Hi,

I received a NIP on Thursday, 36 in a 30.

However, it was a bike (not sure if it was me) caught by a manned van, so front facing. The supporting pictures all show the front of the bike, no registration plate is visible.
I have contacted Northhants police who state they don't have video or camera evidence of the license plate but they do have a statement from the camera operator who took the plate details down (my bike).

I know of at least one bike, exactly the same as mine, in the area with one letter difference in the registration - mine ends in MVF & the other ends in MVH.

Is it wise to fight this?

Incidentally I have 3 points and did a driving course (different county) just before Christmas.
Jlc
Was the bike at the given location at the date/time advised?
samthecat
Were you riding your bike at the offence location at the alleged time?

If you were then likely to be you, if not then it can't be. Do the pictures match your riding gear?
southpaw82
Essentially, you seem to be asking if they can prove it was your bike rather than saying it wasn't your bike and being aghast at this gross injustice. The question I would put to you is what response you're intending to make to the s 172 notice to name the driver and subsequently what you will say in court?
peterguk
QUOTE (Jannerboy @ Mon, 3 Jul 2017 - 13:46) *
I received a NIP.

However, it was a bike (not sure if it was me) caught by a manned van, so front facing. The supporting pictures all show the front of the bike, no registration plate is visible.

So go on then, if they don't have a record of your reg, plate, how did they get the NIP to you? Lucky guess?
Jannerboy
QUOTE (peterguk @ Mon, 3 Jul 2017 - 16:13) *
I received a NIP.

So go on then, if they don't have a record of your reg, plate, how did they get the NIP to you? Lucky guess?

Did you read all my post?
Jlc

I believe the OP is suggesting that the plate could have been misread (MVF/MVH) and it could have been the other similar bike rather than his.

Yes, that's a possibility but unlikely. But the key question remains is whether the OP's bike was at the given location/time/date...

Incidentally I have 3 points and did a driving course (different county) just before Christmas.

Are you a 'New Driver' (within 2 years of passing test)?
The Rookie
Back on track, right now the Police don't have to prove anything, they have made an allegation. If you look at it sensibly they can't prove anything yet as their is no defendant to prove anything against.

If your bike was there at that time then you reply naming the rider, if it was not your bike then tell them it was not.

If its the former you would be free to take it to court and plead not guilty and get them to prove beyond reasonable doubt it was your bike in the photo, its a gamble and if the rider (you?) looses costs will be circa £620 plus fine (no discount) and surcharge.

If its the latter and they decide to prosecute the same applies except instead of speeding they would be seeking a conviction for failing to ID the rider which is 6 points and a bigger fine.

36 in a 30 will result in an awareness course (unless the rider has done one already with the offence date less than 3 years before this offence).

So unless you know damn well it wasn't your bike, the sensible thing is to suck it up and name the rider who can take the course.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (Jannerboy @ Mon, 3 Jul 2017 - 16:17) *

Did you read post #3?
Jannerboy
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 3 Jul 2017 - 16:24) *
Back on track, right now the Police don't have to prove anything, they have made an allegation. If you look at it sensibly they can't prove anything yet as their is no defendant to prove anything against.

If your bike was there at that time then you reply naming the rider, if it was not your bike then tell them it was not.

If its the former you would be free to take it to court and plead not guilty and get them to prove beyond reasonable doubt it was your bike in the photo, its a gamble and if the rider (you?) looses costs will be circa £620 plus fine (no discount) and surcharge.

If its the latter and they decide to prosecute the same applies except instead of speeding they would be seeking a conviction for failing to ID the rider which is 6 points and a bigger fine.

36 in a 30 will result in an awareness course (unless the rider has done one already with the offence date less than 3 years before this offence).

So unless you know damn well it wasn't your bike, the sensible thing is to suck it up and name the rider who can take the course.

Thank you
Logician

If eligible, which the OP is not as he did a course just before Christmas.

peterguk
QUOTE (Jannerboy @ Mon, 3 Jul 2017 - 16:17) *
I received a NIP.

Yes thank you.
The Rookie
QUOTE (Logician @ Mon, 3 Jul 2017 - 17:18) *

If eligible, which the OP is not as he did a course just before Christmas.

Indeed, but we don't know if he may or may have been riding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.