Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP recieved - Switzerland!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
The Rookie
Well just got back from a trip overseas and found a 'NIP' on the mat from Zurich Police, if I pay the fine (Thinking Switzerland I thought this may be HUGE!) it 'dissolves' the matter with no admission of guilt, or I have to nominate a driver (or concur I was driving and ask for a hearing) was tempted to forget it but I may want to visit Switzerland agian sometime!

NIP was for 60kph in a 50kph, they give a 5kph allowance so the fine was for 5kph over the limit and was for CHF40 or a measely 17.54 so I guess I'll just pay up, interestingly the people I were working with got done the day before for 56kph, fine is CHF30! I'm sure its no coincidence that its in a 50kph (30mph) main road on the way to the airport!

Just thought this would interest people. not really asking for advice as I have decided to just payup as -ve implications (no points) and cost are small, while potential future implications (being refused entry/arrest at airport) are worse!

Simon
Maths For Fun And Insight
I doubt if Pepipoo would succeed in Switzerland - they might be famous for cheese, chocolate, music boxes, watches and cuckoo clocks - but one doesn't often hear the expression "those rebellious Swiss". biggrin.gif
avonne
Couldn't the UK take a leaf out of their book.
Rallyman72
But perhaps we do not want to take too many - National Service - Guns - Motorway Tolls - motorsport is illegal etc.
The Rookie
Well yes, I thought the 'fine only' approach to minor speeding was more honest (its for revenue - ther I can say it) and less harmful (no points) than our over the top approach!

Simon
Tam1
To add to this, i was stopped recently in cyprus doing 128kmh in a 100kmh limit (empty motorway, down a big hill)

On the spot fine of £21 ... but i didnt have the money on me, and i was flying back to the UK later that day, they just let me go ..

If only the UK had common sense like that.
Red Kev 01
I may appear to be daft here but why would you pay a speeding fine in another country i thought that you were exempt or is that just wishful thinking coz what i am implying is what if you were caught drink driving for instance are you liable for prosecution in another country?
monoi
If there is one country I would never want to move, it is switzerland.

Anyway, I got flashed for a 130 in a 100 3 years ago. I never answered them, got a 530euros fine which is outrageous by any reckoning. I think they sent me their bank details a couple of months ago, they are not the fastest people on earth.

I have been there several times since, but I avoid the place if I can (which it is thankfully).
The Rookie
Red Kev, why would I pay it, so I don't get arrested next time I visit would seem a good idea.....hear about the UK girl who got done for underage drinking in the US (20years and 9months so under 21) next visit out she got arrested and thrown in jail, was in for nearly a week as she hadn't done her alcohol abuse course she was sentenced to...its not worth the risk!

Simon
LBinCH
If you don't intend going to or through Switzerland again, don't pay it.

Speeding here is simply another pay-as-you-drive thing. The tolerance is low but the fines are low and you don't get points.

If I was in the UK, I would have probably 30 points by now. In fact, another fine dropped into my mailbox for 120 francs, about £50, for 100 in an 80kph zone (the wife, actually). They round-down nicely....best I've done is actually speedo showing 120 in an 80, flash, with overreading speedo and their adjustments it came out at 99 - kerching-ing in at 120 francs again.

I don't even bother nominating the driver; I just cough up.

Having said that, I am sure PePiPoo would be less successful if the draconian points+pounds became just pounds.... wink.gif
The Rookie
As I'll probably be back, I thought I would pay!

Simon
Slowpoke
QUOTE (LBinCH @ Fri, 19 May 2006 - 08:58) *
stuff

Wow, one post in 20 months! Don't be shy now that you've broken your duck, LBinCH! biggrin.gif
PaulD
For the cost of the fine, it hardly seems worth NOT paying it! You never know with the Swiss - they may just be waiting for you with guns next time you go otherwise!

I got pulled in the 'States years ago - California - I had the hire car flat out, about 105, saw the trooper coming and managed to get it down to about 90 before he clocked me. Well, I wasn't going to outrun a 5 litre mustang in a 1.5 litre Mitsubishi, was I? Trooper was as nice as pie, very polite, no sarcasm, and when I explained to him that I wouldn't be in the country when the ticket came due, he just said 'That's up to you, sir - I've told you what you should do.'

Now - when was the last time you had a copper exercise that kind of common sense and courtesy over here - and at nearly twice the legal limit?

I never did pay the fine - would you believe they actually sent a reminder to my address in the UK a few weeks later? blink.gif
Marty2k3
QUOTE (PaulD @ Thu, 25 May 2006 - 00:50) *
For the cost of the fine, it hardly seems worth NOT paying it! You never know with the Swiss - they may just be waiting for you with guns next time you go otherwise!

I got pulled in the 'States years ago - California - I had the hire car flat out, about 105, saw the trooper coming and managed to get it down to about 90 before he clocked me. Well, I wasn't going to outrun a 5 litre mustang in a 1.5 litre Mitsubishi, was I? Trooper was as nice as pie, very polite, no sarcasm, and when I explained to him that I wouldn't be in the country when the ticket came due, he just said 'That's up to you, sir - I've told you what you should do.'

Now - when was the last time you had a copper exercise that kind of common sense and courtesy over here - and at nearly twice the legal limit?

I never did pay the fine - would you believe they actually sent a reminder to my address in the UK a few weeks later? blink.gif

what exactly did he advise you to do?
PaulD
From memory, he told me that I had a time period (7 or 14 days I think) to respond by either paying up or requesting a hearing/traffic school etc. When I told him I was only in the country for another few days, that's when he said it was up to me, and he'd advised me accordingly. To be honest, I think his attitude was that he'd done his bit by pulling me for a little chat, and I'm sure he was aware that I wouldn't be there to answer any follow up.
Red Kev 01
So basically its up to yourself if you want to pay the fine, its just i got flashed by a camera in Dublin on Sunday whilst i was on my bike at the rained off Mondello Park BSB round. i was around the 3 figure mark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.