Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Failure to SORN
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
waldridgekaiser
I've been a plonker and forgot to SORN my wife's car when the tax ran out on 1st July 2017.

It has sat on our drive for three months.

DVLA have written to me demanding £100 or £50 if I pay quickly and declare SORN.

The Letter says that Section 22 of the Road Safety Act 2006 has an offence of keeping a vehicle with no insurance (under section 144A) of the road traffic act- stating that on 31st May I was the keeper of a vehicle that was not insured.

In short, they've got me for £50 haven't they?

NB the car literally has not left the drive since February.
peterguk
QUOTE (waldridgekaiser @ Mon, 5 Jun 2017 - 18:28) *
I've been a plonker and forgot to SORN my wife's car when the tax ran out on 1st July 2017.

What dimension are you in?
Incandescent

It has sat on our drive for three months.

DVLA have written to me demanding £100 or £50 if I pay quickly and declare SORN.

The Letter says that Section 22 of the Road Safety Act 2006 has an offence of keeping a vehicle with no insurance (under section 144A) of the road traffic act- stating that on 31st May I was the keeper of a vehicle that was not insured.

In short, they've got me for £50 haven't they?

NB the car literally has not left the drive since February.

Pay the £50 and report car as SORN is best option, I reckon. As far as DVLA are concerned, your car is being kept on the public highway albeit illegally, so has to be insured and taxed. The fact it's on your driveway is irrelevant.
marshallaw
you need to declare sorn for both insurance and tax

You could try declaring sorn and then say you were on holiday or just be honest and say it slipped your mind or some other excuse asking them to waiver the 50 on this ocassion since the car hasn't been used, nor was it on the road... they might be gracious since it's only 5 days, especially if you declare it hasn't been on the public road during that time.

worth a try

QUOTE (peterguk @ Mon, 5 Jun 2017 - 18:31) *

laughing4.gif laughing4.gif laughing4.gif clock.gif
The Rookie
They'll have you for £50 on the 2nd July........ Until then you seem to be fine.
southpaw82
QUOTE (marshallaw @ Mon, 5 Jun 2017 - 19:06) *
You could try declaring sorn and then say you were on holiday

You're obviously new here. Never advise anyone to lie.
waldridgekaiser
QUOTE (marshallaw @ Mon, 5 Jun 2017 - 19:06) *
you need to declare sorn for both insurance and tax

You could try declaring sorn and then say you were on holiday or just be honest and say it slipped your mind or some other excuse asking them to waiver the 50 on this ocassion since the car hasn't been used, nor was it on the road... they might be gracious since it's only 5 days, especially if you declare it hasn't been on the public road during that time.

worth a try

QUOTE (peterguk @ Mon, 5 Jun 2017 - 18:31) *

laughing4.gif laughing4.gif laughing4.gif clock.gif

The plonker dimension!!!

I wish it was 1st July- the original post should have stated 1st June blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif
The Rookie
The issue isn't the SORN at all, the issue is it was taxed and not insured and that was from whenever the insurance expired.
waldridgekaiser
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 5 Jun 2017 - 22:16) *
The issue isn't the SORN at all, the issue is it was taxed and not insured and that was from whenever the insurance expired.

So that still applies even though the car was not in use or on the road?
notmeatloaf
I have found with the DVLA that if you write in complaining of almost anything, too confusing, too Welsh, what the hell is SORN etc. then they will rebuff you with the first two letters and then at the third they will put you in the "too much hassle" pile and cancel the penalty.

Not very scientific but it only costs three stamps to try.
The Rookie
QUOTE (waldridgekaiser @ Mon, 5 Jun 2017 - 22:25) *

Yes, the car must be 'taxed and insured' or SORN, any other status is illegal, the bit you quote clearly applies to the continuous insurance requirement, you needed to SORN it as soon as the insurance lapsed.
waldridgekaiser
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 6 Jun 2017 - 06:56) *
QUOTE (waldridgekaiser @ Mon, 5 Jun 2017 - 22:25) *

Yes, the car must be 'taxed and insured' or SORN, any other status is illegal, the bit you quote clearly applies to the continuous insurance requirement, you needed to SORN it as soon as the insurance lapsed.

Thank you- I really appreciate this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.