Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN issued code 01 but for parking in a 'taxi rank'
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Mickyas
Hi, hope I'm not posting in the wrong place etc as I'm a newbie.
My wife has just been issued a PCN with code 01. She parked in a ' taxi rank', which is never used by taxis, but other motorists to park. The 'taxi rank' is not on the road, but a 'layby, with no yellow lines just 1 road marking saying 'TAXIS' and a small sign saying At any time except taxis'.
Not sure whether to cough up or fight them 😊.
Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
John U.K.
As usual, for best advice please post up PCN (both sides)

Do not attach docs/photos, but use this method:
Photo or scan. see http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=36858&st=0
for how to do it. I use Tinypic for stage 2 with no problems.
STAGE 1 takes care of resizing. If you use Tinypic for Stage 2, on the left each image in Tinypic is a list of links. Highlight and copy the entire link 'for forums' from the list for each image - beginning with IMG and ending /IMG (include all the square brackets [] ), and paste each link into your post. Each copied and pasted link will embed a thumbnail link in your post.

Using the attachment method is not advised as it means quickly running out of attachment space.
Redact/obscure personal details, PCN no. Reg No.

Also post up a GSV (Google Street View) link to the location.
LEAVE IN all dates/times; precise location, Contravention code and description.
Peter MCR
I think code 01 would be wrong for this situation. But lets see all the details.
SX4
Sign in picture shows a no waiting restriction with an exemption for taxis not a taxi rank sign so code 01 would be correct, but I can't see any yellow line which would be needed to enforce the restriction .
Unless it is in a restricted parking zone usually in areas where there is an exemption for lines like pedestrian zones or heritage towns where lines would spoil the look of area
Mickyas
Thanks guys...i think I've managed to edit/ upload a couple of pics of the PCN as requested...hope this works.😊😊😊

SX4
Durham is an historic town so there could be areas that are restricted parking zones with an exemption for yellow lines but only the TRO would show that , but looking at that photo it looks a fairly modern area not part of historic Durham.
Near where I live there is a village where they have done away with yellow lines on the cobblestone streets but there is still the signs which show restricted waiting the council have made it a RPZ
John U.K.
Please repost the front of PCN, leaving in all dates and times, as these are critical to the enforcement process, and adda link to GSV
Mickyas
Sx4...it isn't Durham city, it's Stanley.. .a small town 10 miles from Durham.
DCC (Durham County Council) actually covers a MASSIVE area and numerous towns.
There's no yellow lines etc there, just the 'TAXIS road marking.

Hope this is ok, John U.K..

This is not a pedestrianised street or narrow and there are no driving restrictions. On the opposite side of the road to the taxi bay there are yellow lines, but none on the side of the taxi bay.
DancingDad
Streetview doesn't help, think this is the spot but 2009 and obvious differences in layout.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.8677692,-...3312!8i6656
Mickyas
Dancingdad. Yes, that's the area, but as you said, an old image...there's no yellow lines there now, just a small 'no stopping' sign.
DancingDad
TRO
https://tro.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/T...Durham/DU82.pdf
Restriction is No Waiting at any time except Taxis.

Please confirm, No Stopping sign or No Waiting sign (diagonal red cross or single diagonal red line)
Mickyas
Thanks Dancingdad...makes for interesting reading...several things stand out
1. Masterplan DH176 - Shows an area as being a 'footway/verge' which is in fact the area designated/signed 'taxis', the footway (pavement) runs around the edge of this area.
2. The plan shows signage as being 'No waiting at any time on footway' when sign on the street actually says 'no waiting at any time except taxis'.
3. The plan shows signage 'loading only' but there is no signage showing that on the street.
I wonder if those facts will have any relevance?
DancingDad
QUOTE (Mickyas @ Sat, 27 May 2017 - 07:36) *
Thanks Dancingdad...makes for interesting reading...several things stand out
1. Masterplan DH176 - Shows an area as being a 'footway/verge' which is in fact the area designated/signed 'taxis', the footway (pavement) runs around the edge of this area.
2. The plan shows signage as being 'No waiting at any time on footway' when sign on the street actually says 'no waiting at any time except taxis'.
3. The plan shows signage 'loading only' but there is no signage showing that on the street.
I wonder if those facts will have any relevance?

Might be reading different plans here smile.gif

The No Waiting Except Taxis area is light blue, runs from Eastern end to just after the inset part where you seemed to have been parked.
Seems to be on carriageway as there is no footway in your photo or (dated) streetview
Hard black line ends that restriction then light blue shows Loading Only.
Inside light blue is a red area No Waiting at any time on footway.

This may not be latest TRO though is the latest held in TPT library.
Article 9 on page two refers to the contravention and I do make that waiting.

Traffic Signs REgulations and General Directions 2016 shows the Taxi bay marking 1028.2 as designating an area reserved for taxis, which would infer the contravention shown by the marking as being in a taxi bay.
But the Upright sign is also specified and as a Waiting restriction.

I know we could argue that the PCN is for the wrong contravention and TBH worth asking them to explain why on 01 in a challenge, during the discount period.
But not sure I would want to risk the discount.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.