Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Summons arrived - incomplete information - is it valid?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
bvgc77
Approx 5 weeks ago I was stopped after being caught travelling at 92.17mph on a single carriageway with a national limit (60mph) I received a verbal NIP and today I received my summons. The hearing is in approx 6 weeks time.

Under the "Acknowledgement and notice of plea" section, there is a paragraph "I plead guilty and ask the court to deal with this in my absence" Does this mean I don't have to go to court? I did the crime, I'm pleading guilty.

If so, is it true that the court cannot disqualify me if I am not there, or would they just call me back another time to be sentenced? Also, are they likely to be harsher (looks like I don't care) or more lenient (Doesn't want to waste our time trying to squirm out of it)

Also, there is a printed section headed "What information will the court be given" which is on Page 3, top right (sorry if this is stating the obvious, I've never seen a summons before - I don't know if they all look the same)

Typed (with a typewriter) over some of the printed text (it is VERY hard to read) is a paragraph detailing where the offence took place and that I drove the car in excess of the legal limit of 60mph. The concerning thing is where it is typed (over printed text) and the last sentence which states, in it's entirity "The speed recorded by means of" And that is it! Doesn’t state what the means of recording was. It took me about 5 minutes to be able to read the whole paragraph as it's feint black type over bold dark blue lettering.

Is this right that it can be incomplete or should I contact the court and see what's happening.

Any comments on the above appreciated
progbloke
Under the "Acknowledgement and notice of plea" section, there is a paragraph "I plead guilty and ask the court to deal with this in my absence" Does this mean I don't have to go to court? I did the crime, I'm pleading guilty... If so, is it true that the court cannot disqualify me if I am not there, or would they just call me back another time to be sentenced?

At 92 in a 60, it's just possible you might be banned unless you can show that a ban would cause exceptional hardship to others (not yourself). Send in your guilty plea and wait.

If you're then asked to attend, then they WILL be considering a ban and you MUST attend, otherwise they'll issue a warrant for your arrest. And if at all possible, use public transport or get a lift to the court otherwise if they ban you you won't get back. biggrin.gif
Pedro
QUOTE (bvgc77 @ Fri, 12 May 2006 - 14:11) *
Approx 5 weeks ago I was stopped after being caught travelling at 92.17mph on a single carriageway with a national limit (60mph) I received a verbal NIP and today I received my summons. The hearing is in approx 6 weeks time.

Under the "Acknowledgement and notice of plea" section, there is a paragraph "I plead guilty and ask the court to deal with this in my absence" Does this mean I don't have to go to court? I did the crime, I'm pleading guilty.

If so, is it true that the court cannot disqualify me if I am not there, or would they just call me back another time to be sentenced? Also, are they likely to be harsher (looks like I don't care) or more lenient (Doesn't want to waste our time trying to squirm out of it)

Also, there is a printed section headed "What information will the court be given" which is on Page 3, top right (sorry if this is stating the obvious, I've never seen a summons before - I don't know if they all look the same)

Typed (with a typewriter) over some of the printed text (it is VERY hard to read) is a paragraph detailing where the offence took place and that I drove the car in excess of the legal limit of 60mph. The concerning thing is where it is typed (over printed text) and the last sentence which states, in it's entirity "The speed recorded by means of" And that is it! Doesn’t state what the means of recording was. It took me about 5 minutes to be able to read the whole paragraph as it's feint black type over bold dark blue lettering.

Is this right that it can be incomplete or should I contact the court and see what's happening.

Any comments on the above appreciated

I ain't no expert on this but in a court of law the prosectuion has to prove guilt.
How the hell can they do that if they can't tell you which device recorded you speeding in the first place?
I wouldn't ask the court anything at all. No need to tip them off. I think this is a lot bigger than a mere typing error which could be overlooked by a court.
In the meantime don't plead anything at all.
As it's likely that you Could be Disqualified I would suggest some very good legal advice. Remember if you win the case you get the expenses back. I don't know the workings of the inner sanctum on this site but maybe chucking something into the pot and joining them would prove useful. I think this would very acceptable as an additional expense which you could claim back.
Does anyone out there know the website for Mr. Lophole, the one who got a reduction in the speed accepted for the Newcaslte United player recently?
cjm99
in a court of law the prosectuion has to prove guilt.
How the hell can they do that if they can't tell you which device recorded you speeding in the first place?
The device was a trafic policeman... rolleyes.gif

I received a verbal NIP and today I received my summons
Bluedart
I have heard them called many things Chris, but a "device"?
bvgc77
Thanks Pedro, that's what several of the people I've spoken to have said.

I've looked at "Mr Loophole"s website and some of the comments on this board. It appears that they pass your information on to a local solicitor.

Does anyone know a good solicitor in the West Yorkshire area?
andy_foster
If you plead guilty, the prosecution do not need to prove anything.
If there is a statement of facts the information therein will be used to determin your sentence, not your guilt - so if it states the alleged speed and speed limit, it doesn't matter if it says the speed was measured using an ouija board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.