Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drove off before Enforcement officer printed ticket
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
barnewell
A Penalty Charge Notice came in the post today, it relates to my car, my wife was delivering some post to the Post Office and was inside the Post Office for no longer than 3 minutes, when she came out the Enforcement officer had just got to the car and said to my wife something like, "hang on a minute I need to print out your ticket" my wife said something like, "these are not double yellow lines, and I have only just been in the post office for a couple of minutes", she then got in the car and drove off. When she drove off the ticket had not been printed. A picture that was taken of the windscreen shows a sticker on the inside of the glass, not a Parking ticket. Any advice would be much appreciated
barnewell
Click to view attachment
peterguk
QUOTE (barnewell @ Thu, 6 Apr 2017 - 17:27) *
Any advice would be much appreciated

GSV?
ford poplar
GSV link to location? Was it a designated parking place?

or pay the discounted Penalty in time allowed.

barnewell
Click to view attachment

Sorry, what's GSV?
stamfordman
Google Street View:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1833746,0...#33;6m1!1e1

It's old though - 2009. There is a sign party obscured by leaves.

What is the time and date of the contravention.
barnewell
Yes, she was parked in exactly the position as the post office van in the Google Street view photo, 13:47, 28/03/2017
Chaseman
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Thu, 6 Apr 2017 - 18:07) *
Google Street View:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1833746,0...#33;6m1!1e1

It's old though - 2009. There is a sign party obscured by leaves.

What is the time and date of the contravention.

Might be worth going back to check if the parking restriction sign that Stamford refers to above is now fully visible. Otherwise "drive off" now allows the postal service of a ticket and has done for about 5 years or so. You used to be able to get away with it when the law required a PCN to be placed on the windscreen of the offending vehicle or handed to the person appearing to be the driver. If the ticket wasn't printed and you drove off then neither condition was satisfied, but that was then and this is now.
barnewell
i have just looked at he sign, it is un-obscured and clearly visible, is there no chance of an appeal due to delivering letters to the post office? She will have a receipt from the post office which will have a time on it.
hcandersen
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Driving away is foolish (and probably ignorant if the person thought that by doing so they could avoid a PCN).

Yes, we could look at the exemptions for delivering items and go on endlessly about their size and whether the car was necessary etc.

And if your account goes on then 3 minutes which has already become 2 might become one. And the hearsay may or may not be shown to be a true reconstruction of events.

Alternatively, why not save a lot of time and cut to the chase: pay the discount.
barnewell
That's fine, I'll just pay the charge. The thing that is annoying is Ashford Borough Council just send an Enforcement officer out to Wye (and other quiet villages) only to make money, not to sort out parking. Wye is quiet and sleepy during the middle of the day, there is no problem with any congestion, every 6 weeks or so a traffic warden gets sent out and tickets a load of cars and then he scuttles back into hiding somewhere

hcandersen
.. and tickets cars which deserve to be ticketed!

It's like a game, isn't it? I know I shouldn't, but I'll gamble £*** against the chance of getting caught.

Who's at fault? Your assessment of probability, the CEO/authority or the driver?

We've all done it. We all make these judgements, and sometimes we get it wrong.
ford poplar
What time did she park?

What are the SYL restricted hours on the yellow time plate?

Explain to wife what a SYL indicates.
DastardlyDick
QUOTE (barnewell @ Thu, 6 Apr 2017 - 21:20) *
That's fine, I'll just pay the charge. The thing that is annoying is Ashford Borough Council just send an Enforcement officer out to Wye (and other quiet villages) only to make money, not to sort out parking. Wye is quiet and sleepy during the middle of the day, there is no problem with any congestion, every 6 weeks or so a traffic warden gets sent out and tickets a load of cars and then he scuttles back into hiding somewhere

Usually Council's only send CEOs to "quiet" areas in response to complaints from residents/businesses.
tocsin1
QUOTE (hcandersen @ Thu, 6 Apr 2017 - 20:52) *

Driving away is foolish (and probably ignorant if the person thought that by doing so they could avoid a PCN).

HCA, can you elaborate on this? I was under the impression driving away at the very least prevents the council from gathering evidence to use against the RK, even if it no longer avoids liability.
DastardlyDick
QUOTE (tocsin1 @ Fri, 7 Apr 2017 - 08:30) *
QUOTE (hcandersen @ Thu, 6 Apr 2017 - 20:52) *

HCA, can you elaborate on this? I was under the impression driving away at the very least prevents the council from gathering evidence to use against the RK, even if it no longer avoids liability.

The only evidence they require is the reg. number and location, anything else e.g make, model etc is just confimation.
What you now have is a Reg. 10 PCN because the CEO was prevented from serving one at the time of the alleged contravention.
hcandersen
1. Adjudicators do not like motorists who behave in this way;
2. By missing the first PCN the appeals process is shortened by one stage so fewer opportunities to elicit info from the authority and give them the opportunity to commit a procedural impropriety;
3. Where the driver is not the registered keeper, somebody else gets the PCN and a demand to pay the penalty and might be miffed at the irresponsible driver putting them in this position. Also, if the car is leased/hired the hirer might add admin. charges as well as pay the penalty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.