Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M6 Gantry Cameras
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
spunky
I was driving along the M6 yesterday. Not sure of the exact location, but I was on my way to Telford, and it was before the M54.

In a very stupid moment, I accelerated and went a reasonable amount above the 70mph speed limit (I think triple figures wouldn’t be incorrect), as I was doing this I passed under an overhead gantry, I braked sharply as I realised, but couldn't be certain of the speed I was doing, although I would say it was almost certainly over the limit. No speed limits were shown on the signs at all.

My friend was travelling behind me, and says he did not see a flash. I also didn’t notice one. It was a reasonably dull day (very overcast and grey skies), so assume a flash would have been reasonably obvious?

I have been looking online, and have seen conflicting information. What I really want to know is, if there are no speed limits shown on the signs, are the cameras active? And if they are active, is the flash visible?

From the little knowledge I have picked up from my research, I don’t believe they are HADECS-3 cameras, they are just normal Gatsos…I think at least, perhaps somebody could confirm:

Failing the above, I suppose I just have a very nervous 14 days to wait. I am incredibly anxious, and hate not knowing stuff, I wish there was some way of finding out for sure either way!

Jlc
They are HADECS 2.

No limit displayed would mean NSL but we can't say whether they were active or not. Some areas do enforce on inactive signs.

A flash would likely to have been noticeable.

Only a 14 day wait for sure I'm afraid. (Anything over 78mph could be pursued and over 95mph would see a trip to court)
spunky
I thought that might be the case. Shame there is no definite list of which are active when off, and which aren't...it would certainly settle my nerves!

I think the absolute fastest I was doing was 120...but I am fairly sure it would be less than that by the time I had braked, possibly more like 90-110.. I assume this will be penalised fairly heavily?!

I have a clean licence currently (been driving 12+ years), and really do need my licence to work (I am an electrical estimator, and have to visit customers to look at jobs etc). A ban would more than likely affect the company (and the employees because there wouldn't be as much work if I couldn't get out and quote.

Is losing my licence at all likely (as in having to re-take my test)? That would be absolutely disastrous. If not, if a ban is on the cards, it it possible to request points rather than a ban? Points would probably be more of a deterrent too, because I would have to be very careful for the foreseeable future!

AntonyMMM
You can ask but the punishment is their choice not yours. At 100 you may get away with 6 points, at the higher speeds you suggest a ban would be almost certain. The number of cameras on motorways now makes getting caught inevitable if you are choosing to drive at that sort of speed - strange if your licence is that important to you.

At this stage, just wait the 14 days ... sounds like you may have been very lucky.
spunky
It was a moment of madness, which I am now very much regretting. Regardless of whatever the outcome, it has very much made me think my actions more carefully in the future.

If it does go to court, would it have to be a court local to the M6? That is very much not my area at all, and is some 150+ miles away. If I had to attend court, I know not to drive there in case I do get banned...so attending may be very difficult!
AntonyMMM
IF it goes to court (and you don't even know if you were flashed yet ) then the case would be heard at the court in the area concerned - not one convenient to you.
spunky
That would pose somewhat of a problem then!

Thanks everybody's advice so far. I shall sit nervously for another 13 days with everything crossed! I will update either way in the future.
AntonyMMM
Are you the reg keeper of the vehicle you were driving ?

If it is leased or a company car, then the time frame to get a notice to you could be much longer than the 14 days.
spunky
Yes, it is my own personal car (not leased or anything), and I am the registered owner.
andy_foster
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/pears
spunky
At the danger of sounding like a total idiot, I completely do not understand what that link is for?
BaggieBoy
I think AF is suggesting you "grow a pear"...
spunky
Ah! I see!

I am a natural born worrier, I just like to know all the eventualities of things so I can prepare myself for the worst. It'd be absolutely wonderful if nothing came of it, but I like to know what could happen if it does.

Apologies for being pear-less!
spunky
My 14 days are up tomorrow (Sunday). As yet, I have received nothing. I am the registered keeper, the car is not leased, I have the v5, and the address on the v5 is correct and has not changed at all.

Although tomorrow is day 14, we get no post on a Sunday. What happens if something comes Monday? Is it just automatically timed out, regardless of there being no post service on a Sunday?

I have read that the letters are deemed delivered after 2 days, which would mean for a theoretical Sunday delivery they would have posted it Friday. Would they risk leaving it that late? Or can I assume I'm all clear?
DancingDad
QUOTE (spunky @ Sat, 25 Mar 2017 - 12:35) *
My 14 days are up tomorrow (Sunday). As yet, I have received nothing. I am the registered keeper, the car is not leased, I have the v5, and the address on the v5 is correct and has not changed at all.

Although tomorrow is day 14, we get no post on a Sunday. What happens if something comes Monday? Is it just automatically timed out, regardless of there being no post service on a Sunday?

I have read that the letters are deemed delivered after 2 days, which would mean for a theoretical Sunday delivery they would have posted it Friday. Would they risk leaving it that late? Or can I assume I'm all clear?

If you are referring to the interpretation act and deemed service of letters, 2 business days assuming 1st class post.
So posted Friday, deemed delivered Tuesday.

Whether this effects the 14 days for a NIP, no idea.
The Rookie
It doesn't, if day 14 is a Sunday they either have to hand deliver it or the effective limit is 13 days to the Saturday.
spunky
Excellent. Sounds like I have been very very lucky then!

Lesson learnt! 2 weeks of sleepless nights, no appetite, and worst of all...a massive bollocking from the wife. I better treat her to a posh meal out to celebrate!

If something does come through next week, however unlikely now, what would my next move be?
QUOTE (spunky @ Sat, 25 Mar 2017 - 13:18) *
Excellent. Sounds like I have been very very lucky then!

Lesson learnt! 2 weeks of sleepless nights, no appetite, and worst of all...a massive bollocking from the wife. I better treat her to a posh meal out to celebrate!

If something does come through next week, however unlikely now, what would my next move be?

Don't tell the wife?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.