Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exported vehicle - still showing as SORN
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
Lodesman
May I ask for advice please.

I drove my son's car to Southampton in December 2015 and left it in the hands of the exporters.

I returned home and declared it SORN (the VED was due to expire at the end of December). Shortly after this my son sent off the V5 declaring that the car had been exported.

My query is that, if I check the .gov website it still shows the vehicle as SORN (and no MOT of course), should the site still be showing this ?

The car will be away for three years and may, or may not, be re-imported when my son returns.

Thanks in advance.
Glacier2
Has it been registered in another country?
peterguk
QUOTE (Lodesman @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 09:09) *
Shortly after this my son sent off the V5 declaring that the car had been exported.

Has he received confirmation from DVLA?

If not, has he called DVLA?
Lodesman
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 09:34) *
Has it been registered in another country?

Yes, from February 2016.
Glacier2
In that case the new country will send the V5 back to DVLA marked exported. There is no further UK liability.
Lodesman
QUOTE (peterguk @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 10:38) *
QUOTE (Lodesman @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 09:09) *
Shortly after this my son sent off the V5 declaring that the car had been exported.

Has he received confirmation from DVLA?

If not, has he called DVLA?

1. Don't know

2. Don't know

I'll contact him and ask. No point in worrying at this stage anyway as SORN lasts for 10 years.

I'm only concerned that, by doing nothing, it could come out of the woodwork way down the line and bite when original details have become fuzzy in the mind.

Thanks for the comments.
nigelbb
Will the authorities in the destination country actually contact the DVLA? I don't believe so. When I exported a car to France a few years ago I regretted not declaring SORN but informing the DVLA it was permanently exported. When I came to bring the car back to the UK it would have been easier just to take off the French plates & de-SORN it.
panther12
QUOTE (Lodesman @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 12:15) *
I'll contact him and ask. No point in worrying at this stage anyway as SORN lasts for 10 years.

Is that right as I thought once they changed it from having to sorn every year then it remained sorn until there was any change.
Steve_999
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 11:59) *
In that case the new country will send the V5 back to DVLA marked exported. There is no further UK liability.

From the OP: ". . . . Shortly after this my son sent off the V5 declaring that the car had been exported."
Glacier2
I would love to know how it was registered without the V5.
nigelbb
QUOTE (Steve_999 @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 19:35) *
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 11:59) *

From the OP: ". . . . Shortly after this my son sent off the V5 declaring that the car had been exported."

You don't send off the whole V5 when declaring a permanent export you just send the relevant portion duly completed
Lodesman
Indeed, the only section of the V5 sent off was the tear-off notification of export, my apologies if I inadvertently misled anyone.

As to whether the country where he has registered the car was bothered about the existence of a V5, I cannot comment.

As I said, after speaking with him, I will clarify the car's status with the DVLA on his behalf (doubtless encountering all sorts of confidentiality issues on the way).
nigelbb
When I registered a U.K. car in France I still had to get a document confirming Tyoe Approval. As it was an MG F & MG had gone out of business I had to pay an exorbitant fee >£100 as I recall) to get a copy of the relevant document.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.