Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outstanding balance (debt) of PCN for failed to update address
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Pages: 1, 2
chge
Hi all,

I am in a weird position at the moment and I would like your help. It may be kind of long but I don't know the law very well so I need your guidance.

First things first, I would like to mention that I don't live currently in London, never did, but in Southampton and my nationality is Greek as is my driving license.

I've received today from Collect Services that I have an outstanding balance because I missed a "no turn left" (double-checked with google maps) sign in London Borough of Ealing, which I unknowingly missed.

The contravention as the letter says happened on 29th of August 2016 and the location, Gunnersbury Lane / Uxbridge Road, Acton (U) (which I think it means U turn). I've never received the notice (PCN) as it went to my old address which I failed to update because I moved into my new apartment somewhere at April of 2016 and here my case becomes tricky. If I am correct I updated the V5 before the 29th of August 2016, because the new V5 that I currently have mentions right next to the Doc. Ref. N field, the date 13/09/16 (13th of Semptember 2016) but I can't be sure or have evidence that this is the right date that I've send it for update.

I've never received anything else than that letter/notice today but I've managed to check the video with the contravention.

The outstanding balance is £513.00 and there is a Warrant to remove goods which will be re-issued to my new address.

Another thing is that I don't have an EU driving license but a European license driving which I am not sure If I can still use it as I am a resident for more than 1 year now in the UK.

My questions are

- Can I submit an Out of date appeal (and pay the original fine) or is it going to backfire on me because I failed to update the address?

- Is there something else that I haven't think to advice me?

- If I pay the bailiff, the full amount, do I have to do something further (summoned to court etc)?

- Can I pay the bailiff monthly (Probably not a question for this forum but I may got lucky)?

- Can I find by the car's registration number if I have other outstanding fines?

- I was under the impression that my license is valid but I can't find any records online (DVLA) for my license. How can I check if it actually is and if I have any points?

Thank you all in advance.
Neil B
QUOTE (chge @ Fri, 24 Feb 2017 - 21:52) *
Doc. Ref. N field, the date 13/09/16

That's quite prompt!

Easily attributable to an unfortunate timing of PCN and you move.

I'll help tomorrow; maybe later tonight.
stamfordman
QUOTE (Neil B @ Fri, 24 Feb 2017 - 21:56) *
Doc. Ref. N field, the date 13/09/16

That's quite prompt!

Easily attributable to an unfortunate timing of PCN and you move.

OP says he/she moved in April, so not so prompt...
chge
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Fri, 24 Feb 2017 - 22:27) *
OP says he/she moved in April, so not so prompt...

Exactly I moved in to my new apartment in April of 2016 and probably I've updated the address somewhere between August and September of 2016, which may be backfire if I make an appeal.
Neil B
Oh ok.

No big problem.

There is still an unfortunate coincidence.

It is NOT an 'appeal'.

More later.
Neil B
My questions are

- Can I submit an Out of date or is it going to backfire on me because I failed to update the address?
('Out of Time' Statutory Delaration). Is free.
And - depends how you handle it and what you write. No "backfire" - just succeed or fail - then a second chance possible.

- Is there something else that I haven't think to advice me?
Do you understand what an OOT application is? (This helps you write)

- If I pay the bailiff, the full amount, do I have to do something further (summoned to court etc)?
100% no.

- Can I pay the bailiff monthly (Probably not a question for this forum but I may got lucky)?
99.9% no.
Are you classed as a 'vulnerable' person?

- Can I find by the car's registration number if I have other outstanding fines?
No.

- I was under the impression that my license is valid but I can't find any records online (DVLA) for my license. How can I check if it actually is and if I have any points?
Take that question to Flame Pit section.

Bogsy
- Can I find by the car's registration number if I have other outstanding fines

You can do this if you remember what areas you have driven in. All you need to do is telephone the parking/traffic enforcement department of the relevant area council and ask them to search their database to see if any outstanding penalty charges are recorded against your vehicle's registration number.

Court forms can be obtained online.

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCT...cement%20Centre

It's quicker to download them and then email the completed forms to the court. It avoids delays in posting.

Did you notify the DVLA of a change in address before the contravention date of 29th August 2016? If you did but DVLA did not update their records until after the council applied to them for your vehicle keeper details then you must make this point clear in your out of time application. The PCN going to your old address might be a result of DVLA having more work than there resources can deal with in a timely manner rather than a fault of yours.
Bailiff Advice
I've received today from Collect Services that I have an outstanding balance because I missed a "no turn left" (double-checked with google maps) sign in London Borough of Ealing, which I unknowingly missed.

The contravention as the letter says happened on 29th of August 2016 and the location, Gunnersbury Lane / Uxbridge Road, Acton (U) (which I think it means U turn). I've never received the notice (PCN) as it went to my old address which I failed to update because I moved into my new apartment somewhere at April of 2016 and here my case becomes tricky.

If I am correct I updated the V5 before the 29th of August 2016, because the new V5 that I currently have mentions right next to the Doc. Ref. N field, the date 13/09/16 (13th of Semptember 2016) but I can't be sure or have evidence that this is the right date that I've send it for update

You moved in April and updated your V5C around August time. As somebody who assists with Out of Time witness statements day in and day out I can assure you that this time frame is far better than most that I see!!!

An Out of Time witness statement is a perfectly acceptable route for this matter.

Neil B
QUOTE (Bogsy @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 07:33) *
- Can I find by the car's registration number if I have other outstanding fines

You can do this if you remember what areas you have driven in. All you need to do is telephone the parking/traffic enforcement department of the relevant area council and ask them to search their database to see if any outstanding penalty charges are recorded against your vehicle's registration number.

Ah, yes, of course - and I sometimes do so myself.
My "No" referred to the possibility of a block enquiry to TEC.

Did you notify the DVLA of a change in address before the contravention date of 29th August 2016?

He said and docref 13/9/16 so likely sent around or before contravention date: Almost certainly before PCN issue

chge - are you still with us?
Bogsy
QUOTE (Neil B @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 11:53) *
Ah, yes, of course - and I sometimes do so myself.

It's also useful to call the local councils in the vicinity prior to buying a second hand car.
chge
Hi All,

Thank you very much for your replies (Everyone is very helpful here).

I am still here I am looking at the UK law and the European Law at the moment to check if there is something I can use.

I am filling the OOT as we speak but my concern is that I don't have any proof that I updated the V5 document before the PCN issued and frankly I don't quite remember.

Is that date on docref the date that DVLA changed the document or the date I've sent the request? If it is the former then I did before the PCN issued because the official DVLA site says that they need at least 4 weeks to process a request.

I am still afraid though, that they are going to complain about the delayed change of address.
Neil B
QUOTE (chge @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 14:07) *
I am still here I am looking at the UK law and the European Law at the moment to check if there is something I can use.

We know all the law relevant to the situation.

Is that date on docref the date that DVLA changed the document or the date I've sent the request? If it is the former then I did before the PCN issued because the official DVLA site says that they need at least 4 weeks to process a request.

Consensus opinion here is the former.

I am still afraid though, that they are going to complain about the delayed change of address.

'Afraid'? Of what?

Stay positive.
Show your draft statement here first.

Think!
You only have to tell the truth.

-

but I've managed to check the video with the contravention.

Are other details of the PCN on their website?
Ideall, the date of the PCN is very relevant.
chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 14:47) *
Are other details of the PCN on their website?

It shows the date and the hour at the bottom of the video.

the link to the video:

http://www.viewmypcn.co.uk/Default.aspx?r=...974e236094e1369

The date is correct (29/08/2016) is when I was in London to pick my family from the airport and we stayed in London for the Summer Bank Holiday. Why is it relevant?

Furthermore, I am attaching an image which is part of the V5C document with the Doc.Ref.N.

Just to be sure that I have the correct date.

https://ibb.co/e1iKqa
Neil B
No, the date of the PCN.

When was it issued?
chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 15:36) *
No, the date of the PCN.

When was it issued?

I can't possibly know that somewhere between 29th of August and 13th of September. I've never received anything other than bailiff's notice!
hcandersen
Possibly...

I receieved documents from enforcement agents in respect of an unpaid penalty charge arising from an alleged contravention which occurred on 29 August 2016.

At or around the 13 August 2016 I notified DVLA of a change of address (IMO April is an irrelevance so don't mention it), 13th being 4 weeks (the required period) before DVLA amended my records on 13th September - see attached copy of my V5C (all of the first 2 sides, not the little clip you've uploaded here).

To date I have not received any notices from the authority which I can only assume is due to DVLA providing them with my redundant details. I do not know whether DVLA advise authorities of any pending changes, it would certainly be prudent to do so as this type of problem could be avoided, but clearly they did not and so the authority, unbeknowns to them, presumably sent all notices to the wrong address.

I therefore request that my OOT application in respect of not receiving the NTO be granted.

chge
WOW,

That's impressive thank you so much for that!
Neil B
QUOTE (chge @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 15:43) *
QUOTE (Neil B @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 15:36) *
No, the date of the PCN.

When was it issued?

I can't possibly know that

You found the vid - how?

QUOTE (hcandersen @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 16:01) *
(IMO April is an irrelevance so don't mention it),

Ditto.
That's why I said 'think!'

(the required period)

I don't understand?
chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 17:02) *
You found the vid - how?

I found the video through the council, however the PCN is no longer available because it's overdue.

QUOTE (Neil B @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 17:02) *
(the required period)

I don't understand?

Based on their website DVLA Change of address in order to update the document it may take up to 6 weeks.
Neil B
QUOTE (chge @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 15:00) *

Why is it relevant?

?
You don't see how it's crucially relevant when it's the first document you didn't receive and,
being able to show for certain that this was an unfortunate matter of timing?

Since you have to wait until Monday to get the forms sworn/witnessed it might be prudent to try to get that info
from the Council.

--
I'm maybe being picky but I have some suggestions for the draft; when I get a mo.
chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 18:17) *
Since you have to wait until Monday to get the forms sworn/witnessed it might be prudent to try to get that info
from the Council.

I will call the council, on Monday, to find that information.

I'm maybe being picky but I have some suggestions for the draft; when I get a mo.

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Bailiff Advice
from the Council.

Me too.
Neil B
chge.

Let's just clarify what we are doing and what the statement actually is.

The three docs you should have received were PCN (not an NtO), then Charge Certificate
and finally an Order for Recovery.

If you didn't receive the first then the last, the OfR, would have given you an opportunity to
make a Statutory Declaration to say so (form PE3) and, gives a deadline for doing so.

When, like yourself, you receive none of the statutory notices, you miss that deadline.

Form PE2 is then, exactly what it says on the tin, 'Application to file a Statutory Declaration Out of Time'.

And that is the crux; you are requesting permission and, specifically, explaining why you could
not do so in the first place.
The draft does that but there are some specific sentences you can use to state this.

It seems our friend 'Bailiff Advice' is going to jump in so I'll wait to see what she suggests.

--

On the draft at the mo, there are two items which appear to be (for want of a better expression)
'made up' and, imo, unnecessarily so.
I'll highlight when I get a mo.

chge
Hi both,

Do you have any updates on the above?

I was looking again the draft given from Hcandersen and the 13th of August is not exactly true imo, as I can't remember when I updated the address. It's probably somewhere around there. Therefore, I will need to have proof for that which I don't.

Other than that, I can't see any other problems.

Let me know, if you have any comments.
peterguk
QUOTE (chge @ Sun, 26 Feb 2017 - 20:13) *

Posters give their time here for nothing, and some have a life outside of the forum.

It's been less than 10 hours ago, at a weekend!
Neil B
Exactly - and it's not necessary.

Where did 13th August come from - I don't think it was you?

It's fair to assume it was around that time - so 'mid-August or just 'August' or - re-jig to say similar;
that DVLA were processing your update at the relevant time.

Give me an hour, I'll try.

-

That also takes out the bit that is doing my head in "required" period.

There is no 'required period' in the context. We can't invent one just because DVLA give an indication how
long processing may take. No such 'required period' appears in legislation relevant to updating DVLA.

And - to use such a term in a statement about how you were unable to make a Statutory Declaration
in normal time (i.e. a required period) can only confuse.

Back before 10.30
chge
QUOTE (peterguk @ Sun, 26 Feb 2017 - 20:49) *

Posters give their time here for nothing, and some have a life outside of the forum.

Apologies, it wasn't my intention to sound rude or apply any pressure to anyone. Just a notification that I am here if they need anything. I can understand what they are doing and I thank them for that.
Neil B
QUOTE (chge @ Sun, 26 Feb 2017 - 21:04) *
QUOTE (peterguk @ Sun, 26 Feb 2017 - 20:49) *

Apologies, it wasn't my intention to sound rude or apply any pressure to anyone. Just a notification that I am here if they need anything. I can understand what they are doing and I thank them for that.

biggrin.gif I'm cool.

I did promise yesterday to get back and it's best to be as prepared as possible for tomorrow.

But thanks to Peter anyway.
Neil B
Ok.

I came up with this.
I hope you understand the colours.

Green is just me talking to you - do not include.

Red is to be added in if you find out PCN date and IF applicable + August bit is optional.

Any blue is to be taken out if using the red instead.

I have been unable to file a Statutory Declaration in the normally permitted timescale because I only became aware a Penalty Charge Notice had been issued when I received notice of enforcement from a bailiff, on xxth xxxxxx 2017. This referred to a contravention on 29th August 2016.

I have not received any of the statutory notices in respect of that contravention. I assume the PCN will have been issued shortly thereafter. OR >> I have since been advised by the Council concerned that a PCN was issued on xxth xxxxxx 2016.

There has been an unfortunate coincidence of timing as, at the relevant time, I had changed address and submitted my V5C [if you want add] in August to DVLA for update, which they duly completed on 13th September 2016. (if applicable) add > > AFTER the PCN was issued.
I enclose a copy of my updated V5C.

I can only assume that unknown to them, the Council were given my old address and sent the statutory notices there. Believing myself to have correctly notified DVLA of my new details I remained unaware of the PCN until now.

Neither myself nor London Borough of Ealing appear to be at fault in this matter which, as stated, has been an unfortunate coincidence of timing.

I respectfully ask that I be granted permission to file my Statutory Declaration at this time.

I left out HCA's bit about what DVLA would ideally do: Nothing wrong with it but what I've written is already a bit wordy. Just a space issue.

Couple of last minute bits of advice to come. Popping out; back cica 12.
chge
That is brilliant!!

One question though, should I also include bailiff's notice?

EDIT:
Another one, should I add my old and new address details in that text or the details at the top of the PE2 form with my new address will be sufficient?

Should I call, also DVLA and ask when did the receive my letter? Do they have that sort of records?
Neil B
QUOTE (chge @ Sun, 26 Feb 2017 - 22:39) *
That is brilliant!!

I'm never entirely happy with whatever I write here but it's got the essential bits in i think.

Adapt as you see fit. It's important you are happy with whatever you submit and - that it's the truth.

One question though, should I also include bailiff's notice?

I can't think that TEC would need it.
Then again, it proves the date you first became aware and the the more you attach as 'evidence' demonstrates
your strength of feeling.

Another one, should I add my old and new address details in that text or the details at the top of the PE2 form with my new address will be sufficient?

New address in top box.

Good point: Where we mentioned you 'moved home', you could add 'from xxxx to xxxx'.

Should I call, also DVLA and ask when did the receive my letter? Do they have that sort of records?

Might be useful if you later decide to proceed to the next stage (hopefully not necessary) so an e-mail enquiry
would suffice.
Certainly not something to delay this application.

Just a final bit more in a mo.
Neil B
Ok.

1/. You might need to phone for an appointment at County Court to get these sworn.

2/. Let us know if you get the PCN date from Council.

3/. On forms, you are 'respondent' (to the debt registered). So 'Applicant' field is 'London Borough of Ealing'.

4/. The text offered is for PE2. ONLY.

5/. PE3 also has a 'details' field but this is basically defunct. If PE2 accepted then PE3 gets automatically processed and accepted.
You could just tick box 'No PCN received' but, to keep them happy, you could write a sentence or two in the details field.
e.g. 'no PCN received due to change of address'.

Good luck.
chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 00:07) *

I will try to update you as soon as I can.

3/. On forms, you are 'respondent' (to the debt registered). So 'Applicant' field is 'London Borough of Ealing'.

I filled the 'Apllicant' field with my name smile.gif thank you for that

5/. PE3 also has a 'details' field but this is basically defunct. If PE2 accepted then PE3 gets automatically processed and accepted.
You could just tick box 'No PCN received' but, to keep them happy, you could write a sentence or two in the details field.
e.g. 'no PCN received due to change of address'.

Do I have to send them simultaneously, I read somewhere that first you send the PE2 form and if it's accepted the latter. It makes more sense to send them at the same time, but I don't want to provoke them with any reason.

Thanks again!
Neil B
Both together. Important.
chge

Morning, I called the council and they only have an automated system which you give your information and they will call you back in 3 working days. I know, it is important information, but should I wait for them to call me back?
Neil B
Your choice but you are at threat from bailiffs.

I'd get it filed.

Adapt the wording to say you've tried to find out - or - just as it is.

'---issued shortly thereafter'.

chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 10:37) *

Why am I at threat?

I updated it with the below

I HAVE ALREADY REQUESTED A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL PCN BY THE COUNCIL IN ORDER
TO CONFIRM THE DATE IT WAS ISSUED ON AND I SHOULD HAVE THIS INFORMATION IN APPROXIMATELY 3 DAYS.
peterguk
QUOTE (chge @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 10:39) *

Updated what?
Neil B
QUOTE (chge @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 10:39) *
QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 10:37) *

Why am I at threat?

I HAVE ALREADY REQUESTED A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL PCN BY THE COUNCIL IN ORDER
TO CONFIRM THE DATE IT WAS ISSUED ON AND I SHOULD HAVE THIS INFORMATION IN APPROXIMATELY 3 DAYS.

Bailiff ?

Currently able to seize your goods !

Once filed, enforcement suspended.
chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 10:45) *
Bailiff ?

Currently able to seize your goods !

Once filed, enforcement suspended.

Ohh, apologies, that's my thinking too, I thought you said that if I don't fill the PCN date I will be at threat smile.gif.
I amended the PE2 form with the above line I hope it suffice.

Thanks again Neil smile.gif
Neil B
How did you get on chge?
chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 15:32) *
How did you get on chge?

I've sent the letter... around 14:00, I sworn fealty to the queen tongue.gif (no I didn't). Two forms one attachment. The final text that I used on PE2 is the below (no major addition, differences than the one given by Neil B - thank you).

I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FILL A STATUTORY DECLARATION IN THE NORMALLY PERMITTED TIMESCALE BECAUSE I ONLY BECAME AWARE A PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE HAD BEEN ISSUED WHEN I RECEIVED NOTICE OF ENFORCEMENT FROM A BAILIFF, ON 24TH FEBRUARY 2017. THIS REFERRED TO A CONTRAVENTION ON 29TH AUGUST 2016.

I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY OF THE STATUTORY NOTICES IN RESPECT OF THAT CONTRAVENTION. I ASSUME THE PCN WILL HAVE BEEN ISSUED SHORTLY THEREAFTER. I HAVE ALREADY REQUESTED A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL PCN BY THE COUNCIL IN ORDER TO CONFIRM THE DATE IT WAS ISSUED ON AND I SHOULD HAVE THIS INFORMATION IN APPROXIMATELY 3 DAYS.

THERE HAS BEEN AN UNFORTUNATE COINCIDENCE OF TIMING AS, AT THE RELEVANT TIME I HAD CHANGED ADDRESS AND SUBMITTED MY V5C EARLIER IN AUGUST TO DVLA FOR UPDATE, WHICH THEY DULY COMPLETED ON 13TH SEPTEMBER 2016. IN A DATE WHICH IS PRESUMABLY AROUND THE TIME THE PCN WAS ISSUED.
I ENCLOSE A COPY OF MY UPDATED V5C.

I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT UNKNOWN TO THEM, THE COUNCIL WERE GIVEN MY OLD ADDRESS AND SENT THE STATUTORY NOTICE THERE. BELIEVING MYSELF TO HAVE CORRECTLY NOTIFIED DVLA OF MY NEW DETAILS I REMAINED UNAWARE OF THE PCN UNTIL NOW.

NEITHER MYSELF NOR LONDON BOROUGH OF EALING APPEAR TO BE AT FAULT IN THIS MATTER WHICH, AS STATED HAS BEEN AN UNFORTUNATE COINCIDENCE OF TIMING.

I RESPECTFULLY ASK THAT I BE GRANTED PERMISSION TO FILE MY STATUTORY DECLARATION AT THIS TIME.

Neil B
Sent by letter?

Doesn't it give the e-mail address on the forms?
chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 16:49) *
Sent by letter?

Doesn't it give the e-mail address on the forms?

I could sent it by email? It doesn't give any emails only that address

Traffic Enforcement Centre
St Katharine’s House
21-27 St Katharine’s Street
Northampton, NN1 2LH

I've download the form from here
PE2
Neil B
Yeah, normal to e-mail. I don't think you can now - not sure.

Other form was PE3 ?

--

Maybe phone to check they've received it - wednesday?

Keep copies handy as they can help to frnd off bailiff if he shows.
chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 27 Feb 2017 - 17:05) *
Yeah, normal to e-mail. I don't think you can now - not sure.

It doesn't mention email anywhere to be honest. I would prefer sending by email though.

Other form was PE3 ?

Yes. Forms PE2, PE3 and the copy of the V5C document.

--

Keep copies handy as they can help to frnd off bailiff if he shows.

I don't think that the warrant has been issued yet to my new address but of course I scanned the documents and have them in any case.

Neil B
Any news?
chge
Hi All and Neil,

Apologies for my late response but due some serious health issues I totally forgot this.

QUOTE (Neil B @ Wed, 19 Apr 2017 - 12:01) *
Any news?

Yes actually, everything went smoothly, they accepted my declaration without any hesitation and the council sent me again the original PCN which I paid (the amount which if I paid it the first 14 days is less approximately £65).

I am not quite sure if I have to repost what I've finally sent or if that is, but I want to thank @Neil B, a very much big thank you as you were exceptional. If you ever find yourself around Hampshire area or Southampton especially, I owe you at least a beer.

Thank you again all of you! This forum rocks!

Neil B
Sorry to hear you've been unwell but WELL DONE! biggrin.gif

Now we just have to wonder 'how'.

Either the Council didn't object or -

OOT wording was persuasive enough to convince TEC CO to accept, irrespective of Council objection.
chge
QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 12 Jun 2017 - 16:19) *
Now we just have to wonder 'how'.

Either the Council didn't object or -

OOT wording was persuasive enough to convince TEC CO to accept, irrespective of Council objection.

Probably the former because from TEC they send it back to Council to check if they are going to object it, which never happened.

But, I think I had a solid case, it was easier to accept my OOT under these facts and your wordling was pretty solid and to the point which made it easier.
Again, thank you!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.