Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late NIP in company Car
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
jmacq
Hi,

I was caught doing 50MPH in a 30 zone. Classic national speed limit to rural 30 zone scenario.

I was in a company car at the time, the registered owner is the company. I have seen the NIP today, it dates the NIP as 21/02/17 and the offence as 25/01/17.

I understand the NIP needs to be issued within 14 days to the registered keeper, regardless who is driving. Could someone advise on this?

Due to time Dorset Constab have taken to send the NIP, do I have grounds to decline it? How should I proceed? .... it seems clear they have nearly doubled the limit.

Thanks for your help!!:)
Jlc
You need the company to show you the v5. (It is more likely the car is leased and they are not the registered keeper)

Regardless, you cannot reject a notice - the requirement to name the driver is still live.

If the NIP is 'late' (only the 1st one has the 14 day requirement) then you may have a 'defence' to the speeding charge at court.

50 in a 30 is a trip to court anyway:

peterguk
QUOTE (jmacq @ Thu, 23 Feb 2017 - 16:57) *
I was in a company car at the time, the registered owner is the company. I have seen the NIP today, it dates the NIP as 21/02/17 and the offence as 25/01/17.

Almost unheard of for NIPs to be sent out late. Odds are it is leased to your company.
jmacq
The company is the registered keeper. The NIP is dated the 22nd of Feb and was sent directly from the ticket office to the company.

My understanding is that if a NIP was sent to the lease holder, then they would have forwarded it on. But that would change the date the NIP was generated?
peterguk
QUOTE (jmacq @ Thu, 23 Feb 2017 - 18:00) *
My understanding is that if a NIP was sent to the lease holder, then they would have forwarded it on. But that would change the date the NIP was generated?

The company is the registered keeper.

Your understanding is wrong. Lease company would reply to their NIP naming your company. Your company would receive their own NIP some time later.

When did you see the V5C confirming it is registered to your company?
Jlc
Indeed, it would be great if the NIP did clarify but they don't. It is extremely unlikely this is the 1st. Even if the company does hold the v5 then there's still other possibilities.

As noted before, the driver nomination is required regardless.

Make sure you've had sight of the v5 and check the documentation reference at the bottom of page 2 to confirm
when the DVLA details were updated - as a recently updated form may have lead to a previous keeper for example.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.