Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP 36 in 30 in Derby
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Jacek
1. The name of the Constabulary: Derbyshire
2. Date of the offence: 22/03/06
3. Date of the NIP: 27/04/06
4. Date you received the NIP: 29/04/06
5. Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): A514 Osmaston Road, Derby, Opposite Cotton lane
6. Was the NIP addressed to you?: yes but my long polish surname was mis-spelt. Adressed to “Dr” but my licence is “Mr” since I am not a medical Dr but used as professional title at place of work
7. Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery?: Not sure, unfortunately envelope shredded same day
8. Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle : Think so – long term company vehicle, will check later this week
9. How many current points do you have? : 0
10. Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons.:

Don’t’ think I was speeding, go past this Gatso few times a year. no flashes as usual, very surprised to get NIP. Ironically the police headquarters or some thing like that is down Cotton Lane. NIP states alleged offence is suppoprt by photographic evidence but does not name device i.e Gatso.

I understand that if you sign and return NIP you are admitted the claimed offence, glad I found this site because that is what I would have done . Is my best option "RAC letter" or ask for photos?

How accurate are the Gatso cameras, (look like the older type with the picture taken from the rear). Is there any ambiguity over the speed I was travelling at, the margin seems very tight is it 36 +/-2mph?

Have taken the advice and read NIP carefully and noticed the differences with the mis-spelt name and professional title, is that significant? NIP not signed and dated on bottom but stamped as “signed G.J.Hall CTO manager” with printed date on top.

I would be grateful for any advice on how best to proceed.

Thanks

Jack
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (Jacek)
8. Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle : Think so – long term company vehicle, will check later this week

I doubt very much that you are the RK. It would be most unusual for a company to put you down as the RK of their vehicle.
If you are not, the 14 day rule doesn't apply (although the RK must still receive their's within the 14 days), so the RAC letter would be a non-starter.

QUOTE (Jacek)
I understand that if you sign and return NIP you are admitted the claimed offence, glad I found this site because that is what I would have done

You're not admitting the offence; you're admitting that you were the driver of the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence; not quite the same thing.

QUOTE (Jacek)
“signed G.J.Hall CTO manager”

Does it say something like, 'for / on behalf of the Chief Constable'?
If not, that very point will soon be the subject of a High court appeal, although not soon enough to help you.
You could still try running it, though, absent ny better ideas from anyone else.
djtaylor
[quote name='jeffreyarcher' date='Mon, 1 May 2006 - 02:40' post='105742']
G.J.Hall CTO manager”[/quote]
Does it say something like, 'for / on behalf of the Chief Constable'?
If not, that very point will soon be the subject of a High court appeal, although not soon enough to help you.
You could still try running it, though, absent ny better ideas from anyone else.
[/quote]
I think he'll find that it says:-

Signed G. J. Hall C T O Manager
Authorised by the Chief Constable
for the issue of notices under
Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988

In my case, I responded with an unsigned NIP with agent letter (hadn't found Pepipoo by then), they wrote back and said that:-

"the for enclosed does not bear the signature of the driver admitting their responsibility. Would you please complete one of the parts 1 to 4 as appropriate."

I responded asking where on the form it asked for a confession to which the response was to be contacted by an enforcement officer at a mutually agreeable time.

Their view of mutually convenient was to turn up announced but I was out and they kindly left me a phone number. I waited two weeks and and then sent PACE (by which time I had found Pepipoo).

Didn't hear from them again. Alleged Offence date was 30/6/04 so no worries for me there.

If the OP needs any info from the site, I don't mind going round to take piccies if it helps.

David.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.