Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 68 in 60 on motorway - any chance of getting off?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
westfield666
Hi all,

I posted on here years ago when I had passed my test and got two tickets in first 2 years (clever I know!) but with your great advice managed to get a only a 7 day ban instead of having to retake my test.

10 years later and I may have been foolish again.

Received S172 NIP on 15/11/2016 for offence on 13/10/2016 (but company car so can't challenge the 14 day delivery thing) with recorded speed of 68 in 60mph on M4. It seems bit unlucky as national police chiefs’ council (npcc) recommends plus 10% plus 2 mph, and on the 'gosafe.org website it states "WHAT IS THE ENFORCEMENT THRESHOLD? GoSafe enforce within National NPCC Guidelines..". - Would this not mean the speeding offence starts at 69 mph?

Is there any point me challenging/appealing on above 'recommendation'? Bit pee'd off as last one I got was 34 in 30 and I stupidly just paid and took the points on that, but this will put me on 6 points and work will not be happy (they're already laying people off and imagine this could cause me serious issues).

I will start being far more careful driving now!

Thanks for any help/advice

Regards

T
fedup2
10% of 60 is 6 plus 2= 68 init?
BaggieBoy
The 10%+2 is where enforcement starts, it's not the highest speed you can do without being prosecuted. So in a 60, 68 is is the lowest speed that would see enforcement.

If the offence was in England or Wales then that speed would normally see an offer of a speed awareness course instead of the points but only if you haven't done one in the last 3 years.
Peter Hardy
Nope. 68
The Rookie
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Mon, 12 Dec 2016 - 22:12) *
10% of 60 is 6 plus 2= 66 init?

No it's 68!

And that is where enforcement starts which is why the OP has a NIP.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Mon, 12 Dec 2016 - 21:12) *

Really? 6+2=8 when I went to school.
fedup2
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 12 Dec 2016 - 21:16) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Mon, 12 Dec 2016 - 22:12) *

No it's 68!

And that is where enforcement starts which is why the OP has a NIP.

Edited due to typo even MY maths isnt that bad smile.gif

QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Mon, 12 Dec 2016 - 21:17) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Mon, 12 Dec 2016 - 21:12) *

Really? 6+2=8 when I went to school.

I missed that day.
squaredeal
QUOTE (westfield666 @ Mon, 12 Dec 2016 - 22:00) *
...Bit pee'd off as last one I got was 34 in 30...

Sure about that, or is that a guesstimate?
Logician
QUOTE (westfield666 @ Mon, 12 Dec 2016 - 21:00) *
Bit pee'd off as last one I got was 34 in 30 and I stupidly just paid and took the points on that

Bet it wasn't!

Enforcement normally starts at 35.

NewJudge
QUOTE (westfield666 @ Mon, 12 Dec 2016 - 21:00) *
Would this not mean the speeding offence starts at 69 mph?

Is there any point me challenging/appealing on above 'recommendation'?

It is important to realise for future reference that the “10% + 2mph” guideline allowance does not create a new higher limit. The idea behind the “allowance” is to reduce the number of possible challenges that may be made on the basis of inaccuracies of measuring equipment/methods. (It is harder to argue that you were not travelling at more than 10% above the limit than it is to argue you were not travelling at 1mph above the limit).

As soon as you exceed the speed limit you commit an offence. For the reason I outlined above enforcement normally starts at the (Limit + 10% + 2mph) level but you would have no grounds to challenge any action taken at below that level. The offence is still one of exceeding the speed limit, not of exceeding it by any particular amount. If you faced an allegation of speeding below the "allowance" you would still face the same task to secure an acquittal - that is, you would have to show that the evidence that you had exceeded the limit was not to be relied on.
andy_foster
Not that it helps the OP, but many years ago, before the police started to receive funding directly from disposing of speeding offences, the ACPO guidelines were largely treated as an ersatz limit - enforcement started 1mph above the guidelines, so his assumption isn't unfounded, merely outdated and of no assistance.
sgtdixie
Actually before cameras only Traffic cops did enforcement and we usually used 40 or 45 in a 30 as the threshold. When camera units started offering courses they tried to force us to go down to ACPO thresholds. Not surprisingly that was ignored, however many of the current generation of police officers appear to fall in line with this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.