Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Obstructed sign
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
luxardo77
The photo attached shows a junction leading from a 30 mph zone onto a dual carriageway. There are 2 signs indicating 50 mph but one is obscured by the traffic light and the other is angled to face traffic from the right and is difficult to read.

After turning left you enter an A road (A66) which is a dual carriageway with barriers separating the carriageways.
In the absence of signage to the contrary the speed limit after turning left would be 70 mph.
There are no signs after this junction indicating 50 mph for about a mile.
My question is if you were caught at 70 mph in the area between this junction and the next 50 mph sign could you plead not guilty on the grounds that the signage was not clearly visible ?

Click to view attachment
Jlc
Is this a real case or hypothetical?

I note the picture is taken conveniently to mostly block the 50 sign...

Got a GSV link?
morrisman
QUOTE (luxardo77 @ Thu, 8 Dec 2016 - 09:49) *
The photo attached shows a junction leading from a 30 mph zone onto a dual carriageway. There are 2 signs indicating 50 mph but one is obscured by the traffic light and the other is angled to face traffic from the right and is difficult to read.

Shirley then if you are in a 30 and see no signs telling you otherwise you would assume you were still in a 30?
sgtdixie
If you propose using a photo like this in court it would almost certainly be inadmissible as it has been taken from a specific location which would exist in only a moment in time to prove a point. If it was admitted and was attached to evidence under oath that the sign was not visible it could verge on perjury.

Give us the location so we can judge for ourselves if the rest of your story is as true.
Jlc
QUOTE (morrisman @ Thu, 8 Dec 2016 - 10:12) *
Shirley then if you are in a 30 and see no signs telling you otherwise you would assume you were still in a 30?

Possibly - which is why I'd like to see the location. As if you've missed the 50 sign, equally you would have missed the NSL sign - so you can't presume (for a while at least) the limit has changed. (Caveat things like street lighting)
luxardo77
GSV link ?????
paulajayne
QUOTE (luxardo77 @ Thu, 8 Dec 2016 - 12:43) *
GSV link ?????

Google street view
Jlc
Real case? What's the alleged speed?

GSV.
luxardo77
http://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.56009...54.57h,7.32p,1z

This is facing the opposite side the picture was taken coming from the right hand side (and turning left as facing)
BaggieBoy
You keep avoiding the question being asked, is this a real case?
luxardo77
It happened to a friend of mine he was caught doing 65 mph after turning left but before the next sign indicating 50 as the limit, he accepted a fixed penalty
Jlc
QUOTE (luxardo77 @ Thu, 8 Dec 2016 - 14:29) *
It happened to a friend of mine he was caught doing 65 mph after turning left but before the next sign indicating 50 as the limit, he accepted a fixed penalty

The terminal signs aren't best but appear 'legal' (Latest TSGRD seems to have lowered the 'standards'). Although the first repeater is a way off - it could be clearer.

A fixed penalty was probably the right move - but it's not 100% clear cut. (But would probably fail at court and be costly)
4by4
The GSV link seems to show a system of streetlighting on that section of road.

If you missed the signs and you claim there are no repeaters, then you should really assume that a 30mph limit is in force.
captain swoop
A66 is 50 all the way from the junction to Preston Park west of Stockton all the way across the Tees, past Thornaby and Teesside Park ( where this is) right through to the east of Middlesbrough. Apart from the A19 all roads leading on to it are 30.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.