Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Light
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
gadfly
Hi, can anyone help with this one?

I recently received an NIP for passing through a red light in Manchester 1.4 seconds into the red.

The car I was driving was a company car and the offence is dated from 20/09/16. The NIP was sent dated 21/11/16.

Since this is after the 14 day period, can I contest this, or does it being a company car rule this out (i.e. did the police have to go through the company to get my details / does this justify the delay)?

Cheers smile.gif

andy_foster
They do not need to justify the delay. Unless any o the statutory exceptions apply, what they have to do is serve a NIP on the driver or the registered keeper within 14 days of the date of the alleged offence. No more, no less. If they have served a NIP on the RK within the 14 days, the requirement is satisfied, end of.
gadfly
OK, sounds a bit grim.

So should I check with the hire company when this was received? If after 14 days (from the date of the offence), can I ignore it?
Gan
You haven't received a NIP; you've received an S172 request to identify the driver

Ignoring it is 6 points/£500 plus insurance problems for years
The insurance companies will wonder what you did that made the conviction your best option
Jlc
Ignoring is not a good plan. As noted, you would commit a separate (more serious offence) by not naming the driver.
andy_foster
QUOTE (Gan @ Tue, 6 Dec 2016 - 21:40) *
You haven't received a NIP; you've received an S172 request to identify the driver

I see that you have borrowed Simon's dictionary. The OP has received a NIP, however, it is not required by, and does not satisfy the requirements of s. 1 RTOA 1988.

Ignoring it is 6 points/£500 plus insurance problems for years
The insurance companies will wonder what you did that made the conviction your best option

QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 6 Dec 2016 - 21:43) *
Ignoring is not a good plan. As noted, you would commit a separate (more serious offence) by not naming the driver.

This.

QUOTE (gadfly @ Tue, 6 Dec 2016 - 21:20) *
So should I check with the hire company when this was received?

You can do. However they may well not be the RK - not unusual to be owned by a finance company and leased to the hire company for tax reasons.
NewJudge
It is quite unusual these days for the first NIP (which is the only one subject to the 14 day rule) to be served late.

Don't forget that any enquiries you might make do not stop the 28 day clock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.