Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP potentially outside 14 days.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Kevin85
Hi all, this is my first post.

Firstly, I'm really impressed with PePiPoo.

Secondly, apologies if this question features in one of the many pieces of information on here. I've spent a while reading them, but couldn't find anything that directly relates to my case.

I've received an NIP, well out (38 days) of the 14 day limit. However, the vehicle in question is still registered to my previous address. The NIP I have received has my current details on it. There is no mention of the NIP being sent to my previous address.

Could anyone advise me on the best course of action?

Thanks
Jlc
The 14 days only applies to the first NIP - given you have the car registered at a previous address then it would seem likely it went there first.

Is this an address you have access to? (You may be committing a separate offence and you may have been lucky if the NIP has found you now...)

Regardless of any 'late' NIP the obligation to name the driver remains.

What was the alleged speed/limit?
Kevin85
If that is the case, I'm very lucky they 'found' me at my current address.

I don't have access to it, but I could knock on their door and ask for any mail addressed to me.

The alleged speed and limit is 97 in a 70. sad.gif
Jlc
You should update your v5 asap.

That excess can only be dealt with at court:

As the calc, discounted by 33% for a guilty plea, costs of £85 and surcharge of 10% of the fine (min £30).

It is possible you will have to attend court if they consider a short ban.

QUOTE (Kevin85 @ Thu, 1 Dec 2016 - 20:36) *
If that is the case, I'm very lucky they 'found' me at my current address.

'Lucky' in the sense you could have been convicted in your absence for a s172 charge.

QUOTE (Kevin85 @ Thu, 1 Dec 2016 - 20:36) *
I don't have access to it, but I could knock on their door and ask for any mail addressed to me.

You can explore this but it is likely they issued the 1st NIP in time. (And they will have an evidential trail as such)

Perhaps they returned it as 'not known at this address' - and the Police may have used the insurance database.
Kevin85
I've checked the dates, and I was working the day of the alleged offence. 7am-7pm shift, and the NIP's time states near to 4pm.

I didn't have annual leave that day. Also, The stretch of road isn't somewhere I'm ever on.
Jlc
So you seem to have eliminated yourself from driving - who was then? (Or is there another explanation?)
Gan
Ask the police to check their photographs and confirm the identity of the vehicle
Make a note of who you speak to

If the car could have been there, but not you driving, ask for photos to help identify the driver
If they confirm the registration but the car wasn't there at all, return the S172 with a covering letter and include photos of your car from different angles for them to compare
Jlc
A misread is possible - eliminate the possibility first.

If not then either the vehicle was there or someone else has the plate too... if you alert them of a possible clone then they won't release pictures... indeed, they may ask you to supply one of your own!
Kevin85
How would you suggest I contact the police re confirming the identity of the vehicle? On the back of the NIP, it states there is no requirement for the police to provide any documentation at this stage.
The Rookie
You simply phone them, be polite and explain you don't believe your car was on that road at that time and could they check the photo's please.

The other option is a polite letter asking for 'a copy of any photos you may have that would help confirm the drivers identity' despite what the letter says (which is true, they are not REQUIRED to) they will almost certainly send you some and then you can confirm it yourself.

If you call first the chances of getting photo's is remote, as you've already wasted 9 days I'd suggest getting a wriggle on!

You've avoided answering the question, if it wasn't you, who else could have been driving.......
Kevin85
My vehicle was with me, at work, inside a London Underground depot. I don't know who was driving.

I'll draft a letter, requesting photos.
peterguk
QUOTE (Kevin85 @ Fri, 9 Dec 2016 - 19:39) *
My vehicle was with me, at work, inside a London Underground depot.

So 100% not your car, must be a mis-read or clone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.