Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP for contravening a red light at 0mph?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
edboy123
I have a NIP contravening a red light but it says i was doing 0mph!?

Is there any harm in phoning the number on the letter to ask why this is and that i dont remember doing it etc just for clarification?

Should i just respond with confirming my details? would i be confirming that i was doing 0mph though? (as this i know is wrong) i know i went through the light but maybe the camera wasn't working i dont know. Or could it be a typo or printing error?

I have heard that this 0mph just means that i wasn't speeding?? ( I was worried that i might have been and caught for speeding too as seperate points too as i accelerated to try and get through on amber)

Any idea on what points i would get and whether id be disqualified and for how long? (I v been driving for 2 months) huh.gif
southpaw82
It's a combined form. If you were speeding and the light was green it would mention your speed. If the light was red it won't mention your speed. You're only naming the driver, not agreeing anything else. Non-issue.
peterguk
QUOTE (edboy123 @ Fri, 25 Nov 2016 - 13:52) *
Any idea on what points i would get and whether id be disqualified and for how long? (I v been driving for 2 months) huh.gif

Depending on circumstances, 3 points and £100 fine. or possibly a course.

If you've only been driving 2 months and already jumping red lights, then maybe you need to wind it in a bit???
BaggieBoy
Some forces use the same NIP format for speeding and red light offences, so seeing 0 MPH for a RL offence is perfectly normal.

How this will be dealt with depends on how long the red light had beed showing before you moved over the stop line, it it only a couple of seconds then a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100 is the most likely result, although some forces do offer a course for this offence, cost is roughly the same but carries not points. If the time into red is longer then expect to go to court, the points will still be 3 but the fine will be higher and their will be costs added.
BertB
i accelerated to try and get through on amber

Note that amber means stop, the same as red, unless it is unsafe to do so. Speeding up to get across on amber would see you earn a tug from the BiB should they be present and in all likelihood a second set of 3 points and revocation. Not to mention that you have just learn that it is difficult to judge when the lights will go red anyway.

For your first two years, it literally isn't worth the hassle of having to retake your test just for the sake of staying within 10% of the speed limit and slowing down on amber, ready to stop at the red.
Jlc

But you didn't - RLC's do not activate until red is illuminated (and indeed a short time after that).

As already noted, amber means the same as red. Stop. However, if you are so close to the stop line and cannot stop safely then you may treat the light as green and proceed - that is by maintaining your speed and not accelerating.
QUOTE (BertB @ Fri, 25 Nov 2016 - 14:10) *

Note that amber means stop, the same as red, unless it is unsafe to do so. Speeding up to get across on amber would see you earn a tug from the BiB should they be present and in all likelihood a second set of 3 points and revocation. Not to mention that you have just learn that it is difficult to judge when the lights will go red anyway.

For your first two years, it literally isn't worth the hassle of having to retake your test just for the sake of staying within 10% of the speed limit and slowing down on amber, ready to stop at the red.

Should read "stopping on amber unless unsafe".
BertB
QUOTE (666 @ Fri, 25 Nov 2016 - 14:34) *
QUOTE (BertB @ Fri, 25 Nov 2016 - 14:10) *

Should read "stopping on amber unless unsafe".

It should, especially as it contradicts what I already wrote. laugh.gif

In reality it was advising slowing down rather than speeding up!
Pete P
Refresh yourself on the highway code: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-cod...rolling-traffic

AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident
edboy123
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Fri, 25 Nov 2016 - 15:59) *
Some forces use the same NIP format for speeding and red light offences, so seeing 0 MPH for a RL offence is perfectly normal.

How this will be dealt with depends on how long the red light had beed showing before you moved over the stop line, it it only a couple of seconds then a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100 is the most likely result, although some forces do offer a course for this offence, cost is roughly the same but carries not points. If the time into red is longer then expect to go to court, the points will still be 3 but the fine will be higher and their will be costs added.

only go to court if your disputing it tho don tyou?
BertB
QUOTE (edboy123 @ Tue, 13 Dec 2016 - 13:41) *

How this will be dealt with depends on how long the red light had been showing before you moved over the stop line, if its only a couple of seconds then a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100 is the most likely result, although some forces do offer a course for this offence, cost is roughly the same but carries not points. If the time into red is longer then expect to go to court, the points will still be 3 but the fine will be higher and their will be costs added.

QUOTE (edboy123 @ Tue, 13 Dec 2016 - 13:41) *

You'll need to physically "go to court" if you dispute it. If you plada guilty you can usually do that by post, and the court will sentence you in your absence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.