Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speeding in Switzerland
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
alrighte
QUOTE (s.cooper @ Thu, 16 May 2013 - 10:14) *
Help!

Last night i had a police officer turn up at my house who was sent from the home office to ask me to come in for a recorded statement.
It happened back in nov 2011 and i'd heard nothing about it until now.
They have a very clear photo of me, and i was driving far too fast, 40km over on an autobahn. bad and stupid.

I have no income and still live at home. So will I have to go to prison!?

any help would be appreciated

yes i was driving too fast, my fault, no one elses.

Hi S.Cooper,

Apologies for the post on an old thread, however I find myself in a similar situation as yourself! You are the only person I have come across in 2 days of searching the web / forums that seems to have received the same notice from the Swiss authorities.

The long and short of it is that I was caught doing 96kph in a 50kph area (4kph short of instant jail time). The Swiss website dictates that this is punishable by a fine of 120 x day salary + court fees, or I take 120 days of kind hospitality from a Swiss prison.

My 3 options are:

- Pay the fine (120 x days salary = ££,£££) ;
- Attempt to show my income is considerably less than what it is to lighten the blow;
- Ignore and never visit Switzerland again, hoping they don't chase me up in the UK / another EU country with which they have a cross-border deal.

I'm struggling to find solid legal advice in the UK and, although I haven't yet, I'm reluctant to contact a Swiss firm who may not have my own best interests at heart!

Could you please tell me what you ended up doing and any information you found in regards to considering non-payment? Any light you may be able to shine on this from a first hand experience would be invaluable to me right now!

Thanks,

A very worried Alex
peterguk
QUOTE (alrighte @ Mon, 21 Nov 2016 - 11:02) *
QUOTE (s.cooper @ Thu, 16 May 2013 - 10:14) *
Help!

Last night i had a police officer turn up at my house who was sent from the home office to ask me to come in for a recorded statement.
It happened back in nov 2011 and i'd heard nothing about it until now.
They have a very clear photo of me, and i was driving far too fast, 40km over on an autobahn. bad and stupid.

I have no income and still live at home. So will I have to go to prison!?

any help would be appreciated

yes i was driving too fast, my fault, no one elses.

Hi S.Cooper,

Apologies for the post on an old thread, however I find myself in a similar situation as yourself! You are the only person I have come across in 2 days of searching the web / forums that seems to have received the same notice from the Swiss authorities.

The long and short of it is that I was caught doing 96kph in a 50kph area (4kph short of instant jail time). The Swiss website dictates that this is punishable by a fine of 120 x day salary + court fees, or I take 120 days of kind hospitality from a Swiss prison.

My 3 options are:

- Pay the fine (120 x days salary = ££,£££) ;
- Attempt to show my income is considerably less than what it is to lighten the blow;
- Ignore and never visit Switzerland again, hoping they don't chase me up in the UK / another EU country with which they have a cross-border deal.

I'm struggling to find solid legal advice in the UK and, although I haven't yet, I'm reluctant to contact a Swiss firm who may not have my own best interests at heart!

Could you please tell me what you ended up doing and any information you found in regards to considering non-payment? Any light you may be able to shine on this from a first hand experience would be invaluable to me right now!

Thanks,

A very worried Alex

IMHO, if you intend returning to Switzerland at some point, then pay it. Driving at twice the legal limit in any country is a serious offernce so expect them to want their piece of justice.
The Rookie
EU countries can recover fines in the UK over a set limit (£400 from memory), I'm not sure if Switzerland's 'half way house' EU status allows them to do so or not though.

What are the EXACT instructions on the notice you have about what they 'want' you to do next?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.