Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2x speeding tickets issued in 1 week - park viaduct
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
thehyper
Hi,

I have received TWO Notice of Intended Prosecution for speeding on the same street in the same week ! :-(

Alleged Offense:
Speeding - exceed 30 mph on restricted road - manned equipment Contrary to sections 81 and 89 of the road traffic regulation act 1984 and schedule 2 to the road traffic offenders act 1988.

1. speed offense 45mph
2. speed offense 41 mph

both in a 30mph zone (it is a dual carriage way).

I don't believe I was speeding - I drive a large people carrier, which sadly was recently involved in an accident. The car has been repaired but it could be that the speedometer is off ? I have proof of the recent car accident (through insurance) - is this an avenue worth exploring ?
And what is the buffer in a 30mph ?

Can anyone help ? Thanks guys
Jlc
There's no 'buffer' but further action is normally taken at 35mph and above.

A 'faulty speedo' is not a defence and may be an offence in its own right.

One of those excesses would see the offer of a course, the other 3 points £100.

Regardless of whether the speedo was correct or not I would hope you could tell the difference between 30 and 40+ mph?
thehyper
QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 10 Nov 2016 - 15:56) *
There's no 'buffer' but further action is normally taken at 35mph and above.

A 'faulty speedo' is not a defence and may be an offence in its own right.

One of those excesses would see the offer of a course, the other 3 points £100.

Regardless of whether the speedo was correct or not I would hope you could tell the difference between 30 and 40+ mph?

Park Viaduct (Luton) is a dual carriageway, normally 40mph.
For safety reasons the speed has been restricted to 30mph. No clear signage though. Will drive past today to have a look.

Thanks for your input.
Jlc
I had a quick look on Google Street View. Definitely signed as 30mph - saw some terminal signs and there's a system of streetlighting that makes it a restricted road (30mph) unless there's signs to the contrary. But a real look is required - do you know where caught, 'exactly'?

And indeed, the referenced legislation is for restricted roads - here.

You can ask for photo's to assist in the identification of the driver - they may supply... (But the 28 day clock doesn't stop)

But even if it was 40mph, your speeds were in excess of that. (Whilst less than the 46mph threshold for usual action - it doesn't assist a defence...)

The best way to check your speedo is to use a SatNav with speed function. (Usually your speedo will be slightly above the SatNav 'actual' speed)

QUOTE (thehyper @ Thu, 10 Nov 2016 - 16:32) *
No clear signage though. Will drive past today to have a look.

As above, the 'signage' may well be the street lighting and lack of signs to the contrary... When you check don't go too fast wink.gif
peterguk
QUOTE (thehyper @ Thu, 10 Nov 2016 - 16:32) *

30 mph limit in 2007

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=18528
The Rookie
QUOTE (thehyper @ Thu, 10 Nov 2016 - 17:32) *
For safety reasons the speed has been restricted to 30mph. No clear signage though. Will drive past today to have a look

Not sure what you mean by normally 40mph, the normal DC speeds are 70mph with no street lighting or 30mph with street lighting if there are any 'normal' speed limits at all.
baroudeur
I know the road well. The OP could not have missed the camera van on the first occasion as it is placed on the central reservation and comes into full view as one drives round the curve and down the ramp to the roundabout. Park Viaduct
baroudeur
QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 10 Nov 2016 - 17:48) *
I had a quick look on Google Street View. Definitely signed as 30mph - saw some terminal signs and there's a system of streetlighting that makes it a restricted road (30mph) unless there's signs to the contrary. But a real look is required - do you know where caught, 'exactly'?

at each end of Park Viaduct.

Park viaduct eastbound Park Viaduct westbound

Terminal signs (30 discs on posts) ...where?
Logician
QUOTE (baroudeur @ Sat, 12 Nov 2016 - 15:00) *
QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 10 Nov 2016 - 17:48) *
at each end of Park Viaduct. Park viaduct eastbound Park Viaduct westbound Terminal signs (30 discs on posts) ...where?

No, I cannot see any but they are not required as you approach it from a 30mph road, and in fact repeaters, which is what they would actually be, are not allowed. All that can be placed there are the road markings which are present.

thehyper
Hello guys,
thanks for your feedback

so sounds like I will have to take this one on the chin then ?

Mobile speed cameras...you....@=2£$!!!!!!
baroudeur
QUOTE (thehyper @ Thu, 17 Nov 2016 - 16:57) *
Hello guys,
thanks for your feedback

so sounds like I will have to take this one on the chin then ?

Mobile speed cameras...you....@=2£$!!!!!!

You are not alone.

This link reports on the locations used by Beds police. Picking two days in the last quarter of 2015 reveals that Park Viaduct, in a four hour period caught 116 speeding motorists or one every two minutes.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.