Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parked in Suspended Bay - Signage Query
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Lstarr
Hello,
I was hoping someone could offer some advice on a parking ticket have I have been issued for parking in a suspended bay.
I was away in Wales for a week and returned late at night to park outside my flat (in the dark) then went inside to get a temporary permit to put on the car. I do not normally drive in London and so did not notice any parking suspension signs before I went away (9 days earlier)
One of the parking signs was attached to a pole and resting on the floor while the other was at the beginning of the suspended bay, unfortunately I parked between the 2 signs (approx. 10m away from any sign) and so did not see them. When I returned to my car after work the next day the whole bay was full and every car had a ticket - this highlights how easy it was to miss the signs.

I have now received a Notice to Owner but want to appeal this and so was wondering what the best course of action would be? I also wrote to the council prior to this NTO but they failed to answer many of my queries - I suppose the replies are very general so they can be relevant to all!

I will upload all information I have shortly

Thank you very much for your help!
Lstarr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/144682442@N02/shares/25Q033

All images are on the attached link

Any help you can give is much appreciated!
stamfordman
The signage looks inadequate to me and I like your point about the sign saying 'opposite'. There are experts here who can advise you on the positioning and wording of the signs. I would say that if it gets to adjudication it might be a tad hard to say you didn't see the signs and then say they are not properly worded but again experts are at hand...

In short, the position of the signs alone should be worth a shot in front of an adjudicator in my opinion.

My view on these situations is that the council has a duty of care to its residents who pay good money for their permits and council tax - this is no way to treat your customers.
Lstarr
Thanks very much stamfordman for your reply.

Hopefully some of the experts will share the same opinion...

I have never received a parking ticket and am very careful when parking so would have never parked somewhere suspended intentionally.
If there was no work going on during the day I parked does that mean a ticket should not have been issued?

The council are still yet to give me Thames Water's application for the request for the suspension so I will chase this up in my reply to them.

Thanks again!
PASTMYBEST
The sign states that parking is suspended opposite number 5 that is outside number 8 where you parked stupid but does give the correct location.

But are the signs adequate to inform the average person, IMO no. If as you say you are aware of the normal restriction you would have no need to look at the sign, and a casual glance
would not Necessarily bring the suspension to your attention as the signs are not easily visible

GSV

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.576911,-0...3312!8i6656
Mad Mick V
The sign at floor level is the critical piece of evidence esp if the OP parked at night. So, as stated, the signage is inadequate and that is the principal ground of appeal.

The second ground is the sign itself. Are they really saying the suspension lasts for two hours-- the CPZ times? For waterworks?

There are recognisable doors on that side of the street so they post addresses on the opposite side of the street which is perverse and unreasonable. For instance given the GSV below which No.1 are we talking about?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5768126,-...3312!8i6656

So the signage is inadequate in that it cannot be seen but also inadequate in that it is confusing and misleads.

I would take this through to adjudication if necessary.

Mick
Lstarr
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all your insight and expertise - very helpful.

I also thought there was no way it is 'just' or lawful to put a sign resting on the floor and expect people to be able to see it!

I will draft a letter tonight and post it on here for your opinions focusing on the points you've all raised.

Thanks again
Lstarr
I have put together a (very rough) draft for my appeal to the council. If you could have a glance over it and critique it I would really appreciate it! If you have any additions to the letter please let me know and I will add them in. Thanks again for your advice.

Having received a parking ticket for parking in a suspended bay on Monday August 8th 2016 I am appealing the fine for the following reasons;

1) I do not feel the signs were adequate for informing drivers of the suspension.
I returned from Wales at approximately 11pm on Sunday night to park outside my flat, there was one space left with the rest of the bay full. As I am aware of the parking restrictions in place on the road I did not go out of my way to check the signs. The suspension sign was attached to a low pole and resting on the floor, this is not something you can expect a motorist to look out for when parking, especially when it is dark

2) The wording on the sign
i) The sign stated the parking was suspended 'opposite 1, 3, 5, 7' I was parked outside number 8, there are very legible door numbers on the side of the road I parked on. Using the term 'opposite' is confusing as there are 2 properties number '1' and two properties numbered '3' on the same side of the road
ii) The wording on the side states that the bay was suspended from 10am - 12am, I do not think it could be possible that a parking bay would only need to be suspended for 2 hours for water works to be completed.

Further to the above I would appreciate it if, as per my previous request, you can send through Thames Water's application for suspension.

I would appreciate it if you could withdrawer this parking ticket based on the reasons above, the signage being inadequate due to location of the signs and also wording on the signs. As the bay was full of vehicles (all with tickets which I returned from work) it is clear the signs were overlooked by many other motorists as well, likely for the reasons I have stated above.

I am a resisdent of Cecile Park and pay for a parking permit to lawfully park on the street and so I hope you will understand that this was a genuine error which would not have occurred hd the council fulfilled their role to provide clear and understandable suspension signs.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Mad Mick V
Looks good--send them the photo of the dropped sign.

Mick
PASTMYBEST
QUOTE (Lstarr @ Wed, 9 Nov 2016 - 21:32) *
I have put together a (very rough) draft for my appeal to the council. If you could have a glance over it and critique it I would really appreciate it! If you have any additions to the letter please let me know and I will add them in. Thanks again for your advice.

Having received a parking ticket for parking in a suspended bay on Monday August 8th 2016 I am appealing the fine for the following reasons;

1) I do not feel the signs were adequate for informing drivers of the suspension.
I returned from Wales at approximately 11pm on Sunday night to park outside my flat, there was one space left with the rest of the bay full. As I am aware of the parking restrictions in place on the road I did not go out of my way to check the signs. The suspension sign was attached to a low pole and resting on the floor, this is not something you can expect a motorist to look out for when parking, especially when it is dark

2) The wording on the sign
i) The sign stated the parking was suspended 'opposite 1, 3, 5, 7' I was parked outside number 8, there are very legible door numbers on the side of the road I parked on. Using the term 'opposite' is confusing as there are 2 properties number '1' and two properties numbered '3' on the same side of the road
ii) The wording on the side states that the bay was suspended from 10am - 12am, I do not think it could be possible that a parking bay would only need to be suspended for 2 hours for water works to be completed.

Further to the above I would appreciate it if, as per my previous request, you can send through Thames Water's application for suspension.

I would appreciate it if you could withdrawer this parking ticket based on the reasons above, the signage being inadequate due to location of the signs and also wording on the signs. As the bay was full of vehicles (all with tickets which I returned from work) it is clear the signs were overlooked by many other motorists as well, likely for the reasons I have stated above.

I am a resisdent of Cecile Park and pay for a parking permit to lawfully park on the street and so I hope you will understand that this was a genuine error which would not have occurred hd the council fulfilled their role to provide clear and understandable suspension signs.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Deleate the bit in red it is not relevany and you do not need to admit to an error, the signage was inadequate pure and simple
Lstarr
Thanks again everyone, I am putting together a formal letter to send to the council.

I will keep you updated with their response!

Thanks again,

Laura
Lstarr
Hi All,

Just to update I got a letter this morning saying Haringey has cancelled the PCN!

Thanks again biggrin.gif
John U.K.
Well done smile.gif

Do post your final reps and the Council response (redacted as usual) to help others.
Lstarr
Uploaded is the councils reply.

The letter sent to them was as above with the modifications suggested and some images attached.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.