Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: County Council PCN left but wrong reg
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Muzzy1983
Evening all! Just a quick one...

Father just told me he got a PCN from local C.Council but they got his reg partially wrong. He has to pay by tomorrow for 50% discount.

Should he pay or ignore?

He has a personalised plate on a work van and they wrongly used the letter i instead of numeral 1.

He was unloading in a street that was permit only, so he is not disputing the fine etc as he overstayed the 20 min allowance.

All thoughts welcome

Thanks
Incandescent
Let's see the PCN, please and more considered advice can be given. The key thing is what they have recorded on their system. Might be prudent to look on-line if they have a facility for this, using the PCN Number. If your father ignores the PCN and waits for the NtO the discount will be lost if they have correctly recorded the Reg Number. And taking an I for a 1 would normally be regarded as de minimis (of no consequence) at adjudication.
John U.K.
He has a personalised plate on a work van and they wrongly used the letter i instead of numeral 1.

Was this a relatively modern plate ( AA99 ABC) or one of the older types (for example) ABC 123A?

If the modern it sounds as if the CEO (and the Council) needs to read the regs at
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/...d-number-plates
where he'll find that I and 1 are identical, but the letter I is not used (except. possibly - not clear in guidance - in the last three letters)

The works need to check their numberplates, if personalised, conform with the guidance in that booklet (the penalties are hefty!).

Where did the I/1 fall in the sequence?

Generally, a wrong number/letter is fatal to a PCN, but 0/O and I/1 may be a grey area.

What happens if he inputs the correct reg.mark into the 'View/Pay my PCN' site in the council website?
Take a screenshot of the result.
What happens if he inputs the incorrect (PCN) mark into a reg.number checking site?

How clear is it that it is a 'I', rather than an '1', on the PCN?

He has a choice:

EITHER ignore the PCN and if feeling public-spirited return a copy of the PCN to the Council with anonymous note saying he found it on the vehicle but as it does not bear his reg mark was obviously placed on the wrong vehicle. Keep original erroneous PCN very safe. They cannot re-issue PCN.

OR
Pay at discount. Attempt to do it online and either take screenshot of inability to pay with correct reg. or pay using incorrect reg.

It's a bit late in the day for you to post up the paperwork and expect more detailed advice.
----------------------

EDIT, my post crossed with Incandescent - sound advice there too.
PASTMYBEST
20 mins max for loading would need be signed. Was it? if not it is as long as required so you would have to show why it took so long
Chaseman
It comes down to what info the LA has recorded in its system. As such, John's advice is correct. See what the website shows. If the LA very clearly has the wrong reg. plate recorded then an NTO will not reach your Dad but might reach some innocent party who will say "it's not me". I very much doubt anyone in the LA parking department will spend the time inspecting the photos and trying to figure out whether a "I" should have been a "1" or vice versa. They will simply pursue the innocent party until it becomes clear there has been a cock-up and then drop it. But it is a gamble, you can't rule it out - don't pay at the discount rate and play double or quits while waiting to see if an NTO shows up, or pay at the discount rate when arguably you (or your Dad) might have escaped altogether.
Muzzy1983
Cheers guys.

The plate is x111xxx (with x being different letter obvs).

Will see if my Dad can go on the council/parking site if there is one.

The van is for work but he is self employed so no 'employer' involved

The online system clearly states the reg is xi11xxx. If I put his pcn number and real reg i.e. x111xxx then it also allows you to progress but shows number plate as xi11xxx. Not sure I am any wiser.

Additional info...if I put his reg or wrong reg but put 1 digit wrong in pcn number then it errors with a message that no pcn is found on their system. Therefore their system doesn't recognise an issue between i and 1 and seems to just go by pcn number.

No record on dvla/gov.uk website for the erroneous reg but clearly recognises his actual plate. It is legit/correctly spaced etc

It is only £35 so not sure if it is worth arguing/ignoring....??
Muzzy1983
QUOTE (John U.K. @ Sun, 6 Nov 2016 - 19:48) *

Was this a relatively modern plate ( AA99 ABC) or one of the older types (for example) ABC 123A?

If the modern it sounds as if the CEO (and the Council) needs to read the regs at
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/...d-number-plates
where he'll find that I and 1 are identical, but the letter I is not used (except. possibly - not clear in guidance - in the last three letters)

The works need to check their numberplates, if personalised, conform with the guidance in that booklet (the penalties are hefty!).

Where did the I/1 fall in the sequence?

Generally, a wrong number/letter is fatal to a PCN, but 0/O and I/1 may be a grey area.

What happens if he inputs the correct reg.mark into the 'View/Pay my PCN' site in the council website?
Take a screenshot of the result.
What happens if he inputs the incorrect (PCN) mark into a reg.number checking site?

How clear is it that it is a 'I', rather than an '1', on the PCN?

He has a choice:

EITHER ignore the PCN and if feeling public-spirited return a copy of the PCN to the Council with anonymous note saying he found it on the vehicle but as it does not bear his reg mark was obviously placed on the wrong vehicle. Keep original erroneous PCN very safe. They cannot re-issue PCN.

OR
Pay at discount. Attempt to do it online and either take screenshot of inability to pay with correct reg. or pay using incorrect reg.

It's a bit late in the day for you to post up the paperwork and expect more detailed advice.
----------------------

EDIT, my post crossed with Incandescent - sound advice there too.

Thanks for your response. Please see my post above which has responses to your questions. I don't have the PCN now. I was visiting my Parents last night, hence having access. I will probably just tell him to pay, although by ignoring, they would have to use their photos to identify their mistake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.