Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hillingdon Council PCN
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
jjssj
Contravention: 62 Parked with one or more wheels on or over a footpath or any part of a road other than a carriageway

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28vf4ag1bxp5yqp/front_pcn.jpg?dl=0 (front of pcn)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbggzx9s10jq6kk/back_pcn.jpg?dl=0 (back of pcn)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i23hb7ytbqobuva/d...ce_pcn.jpg?dl=0 (Example of how I was approximately parked vs if I was parked on the road)

CODE
Letter Example

I note that the council consider my vehicle to have been parked on land not considered by them to be carriageway. I assume therefore that the council consider this land to form part of a footway.

It is necessary to bring to the council’s attention that a carriageway and a footway do not lawfully exist by default, what actually exists by default is “road” otherwise known as highway. The public have a right of way over any land considered “road” and the means of how the public traverse over it is not restricted by default. Therefore, unless statute regulates the means of travel on a road or part of a road, then it is a free- for- all for any type of traffic, be it by foot, by car, by horse or by bicycle etc as they carry the public who have a right of way. Various acts of parliament were created to bring some order to the use of roads by such traffic. The most notable being the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

The 1984 Act enables a council to regulate by order not only vehicular use on a road but also pedestrian use, see sections 2(3) and 6(1). Therefore a council is able to restrict what class of traffic can use a road or part of a road. Therefore, a right of way for those on foot only (a footway) is not identified simply because a kerb and paving slabs has been laid down, nor is a right of way for the passage of vehicles (a carriageway) identified simply because the council lay tarmac. The 1984 Act clearly treats pedestrians as a class of traffic as equally as it does bicycles, buses etc and therefore any part of a road restricted to use only by those on foot (a footway) is required to be identified in a traffic order in the same way for example, that cycle tracks and bus lanes need to be identified by order.

Procedural Impropriety
The Vehicle in question was parked in the direction of going to Gledwood Drive, if I had not parked on the kerbed carriageway (footpath) it would have obstructed traffic coming in both directions and the vehicle in question would of acted as a blind spot causing an obstruction. As there are two paths one bearing to the left and the other towards the right both blind spots to traffic coming from Glewood Gardens

I’ve attached a manipulated image of Gledwood gardens (data obtained from google maps) The fictitious image example of the difference it would make to the traffic flow and safety by either parking on the carriageway or parking on the kerbed carriageway (footpath).  
Fig 1 shows a car parked off the kerbed carriageway and Fig 2 shows a car parked on the kerbed carriageway (footpath)

Considering the above, for the alleged contravention to be lawfully correct then it is requisite that a traffic order does identify the location where my vehicle was parked as being restricted to use by those on foot only. Therefore I require the council to confirm whether or not the area of road where my vehicle was parked is identified in any order as being a footway. Where an order does exist I require a full copy to be made available to me. If no such order exists then the part of “road” where I parked remains unrestricted highway whereby a right of way for any class of traffic is applicable. Thus that part of road can lawfully be considered as carriageway and as such the contravention did not occur meaning the penalty charge should be cancelled immediately.

I look forward to your reply

Any help would be appreciated
DJ Lexy
I'm not an expert on Traffic Orders, but I don't think any of that stuff applies to London.

Parking on the pavement there has been banned since 1974 by the Greater London Council (General Powers) Act 1974.
jjssj
I can show numerous examples where I've parked and others have parked on the kerb due to road access by cars.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gw20bvo9aoi2t8/L...arking.jpg?dl=0

The image above is showing Gledwood crescent which is just off Glenwood gardens where I received my PCN. I don't see any tickets on these vehicles, I never do.

This is my first ticket for this type of contravention.
peterguk
Council photos of your contravention please.
jjssj
The alleged contravention occurred today, I've just accessed Hillingdon parking payment system and I can't seem to locate the photo's through their parking system - I've recorded their website/system screen using Camtasia - about to upload to dropbox to ask whether there's a clerical error, photos haven't been uploaded yet or there are no photo's.
peterguk
QUOTE (jjssj @ Wed, 2 Nov 2016 - 16:52) *
The alleged contravention occurred today, I've just accessed Hillingdon parking payment system and I can't seem to locate the photo's through their parking system - I've recorded their website/system screen using Camtasia - about to upload to dropbox to ask whether there's a clerical error, photos haven't been uploaded yet or there are no photo's.

There will be photos. If the contravention only occurred today, how do you expect the photos to be on their website already? I wouldn't bother asking if there has been a clerical error yet. rolleyes.gif
DancingDad
Very nice write up.
Total load of doggy do but impressive.
The contravention comes from Greater London Council (general powers) act 1974 section 15
Which can be paraphrased as any part of a road that is not carriageway.
So for your write up to be successful, prove you were on a carriageway.
jjssj
Any help would be appreciated. I think I'm going to go on the lines of - carriageway defence + how would a narrow road work - there's another road just off Glenwood gardens - Glenwood close that is narrow there are always cars parked on the pavement.
Incandescent
Well, sorry to tell you, but you are bang-to-rights and would do well to pay the discount, as you'd lose at adjudication. Any appeal you submit to the council will be refused, so if you really want to fight them, you have to forego the discount and go through the various stages ending up at London Tribunals. BTW, Glenwood Close may have part-footway parking allowed, buyt you's doesn't. Many streets in London permit off-carriageway parking, but it has to be specifically signe.
jjssj
Gledwood Close has no signs. But thanks for the heads up, I've does this before with Westminster and got the PCN Cancelled, just required any input.

hcandersen
As per others, the contravention is proved by the photos and you acknowledge that this is where you were parked.

By all means submit a challenge because provided this arrives no later than 15 Nov. they would re-offer the discount if it was unsuccessful. At that point you would have lost nothing. But if you want them to exercise discretion, then I suggest you use yours when you compose your challenge.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.