Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Convicted of not paying Vehicle Excise Duty
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Ralph_Pink
I've had to move a fair bit because of work and unfortunately forgot to update the registered keepers document; I updated my drivers license and in my head that was driving-related-moving-house admin complete.

A few months ago I went to MOT my car and then realised that the my tax was out by about a year. I therefore taxed the vehicle immediately for the coming year and then contacted the DVLA urgently to see if I could repay the years worth of arrears that would have accrued.

I asked for a summary of the fines (plural unfortunately) in writing and an invoice detailing how I could I pay them off.

I received 2 letters:
1) Detailing some of the outstanding fines that needed to be paid - I've done this already
2) A letter stating that one of the fine was prosecuted successfully in June of this year

I should also point out at this point that I'm a doctor - a criminal conviction albeit a minor one as I keep being told this is, will still have mega implications for me and I'm pretty terrified of the whole situation if I'm being honest

1 further point to add: My name was mispelled at the time of the conviction.

I've sought a bit of legal advice - I've been advised to make a statutory declaration. I'll be making this shortly. Getting the case number from the court was not as easy as you might expect since my name was mispelled.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on what to do after I've made this declaration - I'd happily pay the fines if the criminal conviction is not re-prosecuted.

The only thing I can think to do is make the statutory declaration in front of a solicitor, post it to the court via registered mail and wait for a summons to arrive in the post so that I'm not sentenced the same day, which I've been told can happen if you make the declaration in person at the court.

In the mean time I'm thinking of writing to the DVLA and explaining the above, explaining that the case will be re-opened and begging them to drop the case and allow me to pay the fines as out of court settlements.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks
southpaw82
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'd have to disclose it but I'd imagine it would be closed very soon by the GMC - link.
Ralph_Pink
Thanks for the reply - I've had a look at that link

With regards to writing to the DVLA once the statutory declaration has been made, are they likely to drop the case if I offer to pay them before the rehearing/retrial date?

They state that they cannot deal with a case once a magistrate has made a ruling on it but the stat. dec. will null and void any previous ruling.

Thoughts?
Logician
QUOTE (Ralph_Pink @ Sat, 15 Oct 2016 - 15:34) *
Thanks for the reply - I've had a look at that link With regards to writing to the DVLA once the statutory declaration has been made, are they likely to drop the case if I offer to pay them before the rehearing/retrial date? They state that they cannot deal with a case once a magistrate has made a ruling on it but the stat. dec. will null and void any previous ruling. Thoughts?

A stat dec nullifies any determination by the court, but not the fact that an information has been laid, and the court should proceed as soon as possible with a new trial. The DVLA could withdraw the matter at that stage but I suspect that they will adopt the position that once the matter has gone to court, it should be dealt with by the court and it is too late for an out of court settlement.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.