Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help... 105-110 speed camera in 70 + undertake
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
perleman
Hi,
I was stuck bvehind 3 vans doing 70 on a NSL 2 lane dual carriageway. Clear dry conditions, alone in car, not a taxi driver & driving a normal car not towing etc.
I could not understand why they were all in the outside lane doing 70, up a hill, inside lane clear.
I undertook them and indicated speed was something in the 105-110 range. My speedo does not over-read by 10% but more like 1-2mph
Camera van parked in central reservation at top. It is possible they couldn't get me as blocked by the cars I was passing or were more focused on the distance but I'd say they prob got me
I know I now have 14 days to wait but can anyone shed some light on whether I can get done for the undertake or just the speeding from the van, how to minimise the likely penalty and what I can expect that to be, it was in dorset
I am the sole breadwinner in my household with wife and baby, can manage without car for a bit but far from ideal for my job
I know it was stupid thing to do so hopefully I won't get chastised for that here.
Thanks
Jlc
It's quite likely they'll have a video stream of the event. It's possible they could pursue the undertake as careless or dangerous driving but it is more likely they'll simply pursue the speeding.

That speed is not necessarily a ban but you should expect one - (if caught) a court appearance would be inevitable.

In terms of sentence:

As above, discounted by 33% for a guilty plea, costs of £85 and surcharge of 10% of the fine.

But as you note, a nervous 14 days.
perleman
Thanks
In terms of representation, is this recommended for something like this? Or is it fairly open & shut, turn up, look smart, say I made a stupid decision & will not do again & hope the Mag is reasonable?
How do I select recommended representation if required?
Should I use a local firm or can any national firm help ( but charge travel expenses?)
I already have 3 poiunts sad.gif
Thanks
The Rookie
If you are pleading guilty it's highly unlikely that legal representation would be worth the £300+ you'll be paying them, a defendant turning up looking reasonably smart and 'falling on their sword' is going to give a similar result.

If you turn up 'bricking it' that does you know harm at all, it shows you are taking it seriously.

Assuming they caught you at all, but I'd work on the basis they did and that you are now on 9 points, don't go getting any more while the case is 'pending'!
perleman
Thanks!

I thought this would be the case.
I have a powerful car which I have been thinking of selling anyway as it is too easy to speed in. Would it potentially be looked on favorably if I place the ar for sale?
Should I mention that I was rushing as my pregnant wife is suffering from severe pregnancy sickness and I was on a long drive home from a work meeting to help her put our baby to bed which is 100% true? (Could get a note to prove this)
Or am I better keeping it simple and just appologising for making a stupid decision and saying I won't do again? I get very nervous in this type of situation so will definitely be shaking etc without doubt

Thanks
peterguk
QUOTE (perleman @ Tue, 20 Sep 2016 - 19:21) *
Thanks!

I thought this would be the case.
I have a powerful car which I have been thinking of selling anyway as it is too easy to speed in. Would it potentially be looked on favorably if I place the ar for sale?
Should I mention that I was rushing as my pregnant wife is suffering from severe pregnancy sickness and I was on a long drive home from a work meeting to help her put our baby to bed which is 100% true? (Could get a note to prove this)
Or am I better keeping it simple and just appologising for making a stupid decision and saying I won't do again? I get very nervous in this type of situation so will definitely be shaking etc without doubt

Thanks

Keep it simple. Lapse of concentration, very sorry etc.

All to easy to make things worse - you could have called her an ambulance, long journey suggests over-tired... etc.
Earl Purple
A single action, i.e. undertaking and speeding, will mean you normally only get points for one of them but can be fined for both.

However the points for 105 on a motorway is quite severe enough...

Jlc
It's possible they could progress a careless/dangerous charge. That could be up to 9 points or a year's ban/retest (worst case scenario).

But chances are they'll simply progress the speeding - 6 points or possibly a short ban.

Wait until the NIP arrives.
BertB
QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Tue, 20 Sep 2016 - 21:12) *

The OP wasn't on a motorway though. How severe are the points on a dual carriageway?
Logician
QUOTE (BertB @ Wed, 21 Sep 2016 - 11:50) *
QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Tue, 20 Sep 2016 - 21:12) *
The OP wasn't on a motorway though. How severe are the points on a dual carriageway?

There is no difference at all in terms of points between a motorway and a dual carriageway and indeed any other type of road, all that matters is the limit and the speed. The theoretical maximum fine is greater on a motorway, that is all.

Jlc
Indeed, although there may be a different endorsement code on the licence (SP30=Road, SP50=Motorway) - which might be loaded differently by insurers.
perleman
Well today is day 15 and nothing through so fingers crossed
I know sometimes they come later than this but I am the RK and it isn't a lease car etc so hopefully I am in the clear...
Ben
Logician
Is the car new to you? Is your correct current address on the V5C - worth physically checking. If none of these things provide the answer to the absence of a NIP, you may be right, your car was shielded from the camera van by other vehicles. You cannot be convicted of speeding if you were not spoken to at the time and the RK does not receive a NIP by day 14 unless there is a reason.
perleman
QUOTE (Logician @ Wed, 5 Oct 2016 - 15:38) *
Is the car new to you? Is your correct current address on the V5C - worth physically checking. If none of these things provide the answer to the absence of a NIP, you may be right, your car was shielded from the camera van by other vehicles. You cannot be convicted of speeding if you were not spoken to at the time and the RK does not receive a NIP by day 14 unless there is a reason.

I've had the car 4 years and I know it is correctly registered as I got a parking eye fine 2 weeks ago (which I have also managed to cancel) so am feeling quite lucky at the moment! But I won't pull a stunt like that again. It has been a very uncomfortable 2 weeks, lesson learned.
Logician
Good, but check all the same as the postman might have realised what an incorrect address should have been and delivered it to you, while a relief postman did not. Unlikely, but best to be 100% sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.