Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ParkingEye - again
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
Celera
I've been a big fan of this site for ages and read many case studies, but haven't been on for a long time so am just worried that things may have changed since my days of browsing the forum.

My son had a diabetic incident and I had to rush him to hospital, where I was caught by ParkingEye's ANPR system. Do the same steps of appealing to them, asking them to supply POPLA code if they choose to reject the appeal, write to POPLA and state my case about charge not being consistent with loss of income on their part etc... or has something changed along the way? I've tried looking at the stickies etc. but I'm not confident as someone has told me of changes - changes I can't see anything about on here.

Thanks in advance for your help
Jlc
The 'loss of income' ('Genuine pre-estimate of Loss') no longer works in isolation. Following ParkingEye v Beavis.

The hospital may be prepared to assist - contact them in the first instance. However, do not lose your opportunity to appeal as there's still ways they throw the towel in.
Celera
Gah. Had a feeling things weren't as simple as they used to be.

So, assuming the hospital won't help (I'm not saying they won't, and I'll speak to them - but just covering the possibility) would you be able to update me on the best action to take?

Typical that I used to have time to read this forum (always entertaining) and now I'm actually affected I haven't kept my knowledge up to date!
ostell
Contact Patient Advice And Liaison Service at the (PALS) at the hospital and ask them, because you were concerned with an emergency, to get PE to cancel the charge.

In the meantime write an appeal to PE, putting it in here for critique first.
Celera
Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to sort something as a response.

My presumption is to appeal over basically anything to ParkingEye, who will reject it out of hand, and then create a proper appeal for POPLA - Is that correct?

Also, I've added the notice sent through, just in case anyone could possibly give me a bit of a heads up as to anything specific I should be using or saying in my appeal.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Jlc
QUOTE (Celera @ Fri, 9 Sep 2016 - 10:23) *
My presumption is to appeal over basically anything to ParkingEye, who will reject it out of hand, and then create a proper appeal for POPLA - Is that correct?

Yes - there are now very few circumstances were they'll uphold an appeal to them. They play the numbers game as an early cancellation definitely means they won't be getting paid...
Lynnzer
Need a better photo of this if you can get one.

The parking arrangements are covered here.

I am actively working on something myself for a "relative" in one of the hospitals a little further south from you.

The 20 minute free parking is a trap.
My "relative" knew about the need to pay before (s)he went for an appointment. It was obvious that parking time would exceed the free 20 minutes so as soon as (s)he was parked went straight to the ticket machine and made payment by VISA.

The problem is that payment cannot be made for a time within the first free period. It has to be made for a period in excess of that. So although the assumption was that parking time had been paid for, a PCN still came through the post.

Now, I have searched for planning and Advertising consent for their use of signs and ANPR.
It appears they don't have permission.

So that's a useful appeal point as indicated on the Pranksters Blog

The first point of contact should be the hospital itself though as they have authority to override a ticket for exceptional cases and an emergency such as yours would fall within that description. If PALS won't listen, remind them that their contract with ParkingEye has within it that cases such as yours would be quite legitimately withdrawn.

Must check to see if there's a current contract out in the t'internet that can be accessed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a friend in more or less the same situation 6 or 7 weeks ago.
Had to make an emergency call to the hospita and had no cash or credit card with him. It was an emergency so that's the last thing on your mind.

I told him to send a cheque for the amount of time he parked, to the hospital with a letter explaining the situation. He got ther cheque returned and the cxharge was cancelled.

If you do it that way, a cheque will make them open their eyes, rather than a "please let me off" letter.
So give this a try.

On the evening (or whatever) of the DATE, I had an emergency situation when I had to rush my son into hospital. It was an emergency so the last thing on my mind was to take my wallet with me.

I then fell foul of the parking restrictions as I was entirely unable to make payment. This was not a deliberate attempt to avoid payment.
I now have a ticket for a fine from Parkingeye.

I enclose a cheque for the loss you inadvertently suffered, to show my honest intentions, and ask if you would please inform ParkingEye to cancel this charge.

I'd send it to the Estates manager.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.