Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Met Police / Heathrow
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
3narf
Hi

Yesterday, at Heathrow T3 pick up/drop off, I was given a parking ticket by a Met Police PCSO fake copper.

I was picking up my wife and kids after a 9hr flight; I'd left them in a cafe at the terminal and picked up my car from a staff car park (I work at LHR).

I pulled in the car, opened boot and waited for my wife; she emerged with kids and baggage and gestured for me to help as she was struggling. I trotted across the road, all of 20yds, to help with the bags; when I turned round less than 10 seconds later, this hobby bobby was writing a ticket! She must have waited for me to go then walked up.

As soon as she saw my staff parking pass she went into the 'you should know better' diatribe; I struggled to keep my cool but the whole thing was ludicrous. The terminal was quiet, I was in the proper pick up/drop off area and as far as I'm concerned I didn't leave the car unattended. I could not get this idiot to see sense, unfortunately, and I have no doubt she would have 'put the boot in' if I'd carried on protesting, resulting in my car park pass being revoked. She was even suggesting that as an airport employee, I shouldn't be using the pick up/drop off!

The parking ticket doesn't mention an option of fighting the case, it just says I can pay or go to court. As an amateur I can see a couple of possible avenues to fight it; it says I was on a clearway which I would dispute, and the previous vehicle's details, from the previous ticket, seems to have leaked through, or she'd written the wrong vehicle make initially then written over it. Anyway, I'm currently at work but I can scan in the ticket tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks again, Andy
southpaw82
You don't appear to know what a "hobby bobby" is (it's not a CSO).

Have you been given a fixed penalty notice?
peterguk
QUOTE (3narf @ Sat, 13 Aug 2016 - 18:40) *
it says I was on a clearway which I would dispute

Either the road was signed as a clearway or it wasn't.

QUOTE (3narf @ Sat, 13 Aug 2016 - 18:40) *
the previous vehicle's details, from the previous ticket, seems to have leaked through

And...?
stamfordman
Having done several airport pick-ups lately I think you'll find that there are only drop off not pick up points now. I guess you can get away with it if everyone is ready to get in the car though. But most people go to meet flights.
DastardlyDick
You'll have been "done" under Airport By-Laws, which, IIRC state that "No person shall leave any vehicle:
(a) Unattended when its engine is running; or
(b) With a removable ignition key unattended when the ignition key is in the vehicle."

Given your situation, I'd pay up.
J.Hickinbottom
QUOTE (DastardlyDick @ Sat, 13 Aug 2016 - 19:06) *
You'll have been "done" under Airport By-Laws, which, IIRC state that "No person shall leave any vehicle:
(b) With a removable ignition key unattended when the ignition key is in the vehicle."

paperwork before surrender.

DastardlyDick
QUOTE (J.Hickinbottom @ Sat, 13 Aug 2016 - 20:51) *

You're right of course, but given that the OP reckons Heathrow will revoke his parking permit if he makes a fuss......?
emsgeorge
QUOTE (DastardlyDick @ Sat, 13 Aug 2016 - 21:15) *
QUOTE (J.Hickinbottom @ Sat, 13 Aug 2016 - 20:51) *

You're right of course, but given that the OP reckons Heathrow will revoke his parking permit if he makes a fuss......?

yes, yes they will revoke it, if too much fuss gets to the right people. As I know, as some of us can't drive airside any more either.

Tartarus
How long is unattended? Evidently more than five seconds given the nature of the ticket being written if true!

Having done countless drop offs and pick ups from the "departure" area of both Heathrow and Gatwich for family members over the years, I have noticed them clamping down more severely on people waiting around for even five minutes in the zone in the last couple of years. Normally results in a loop of the road or going off to the local supermarket and waiting there instead. Why I've found it's actually been better to be late, cos then you aren't waiting around.
DancingDad
A copy of the thing please?
Without we are only guessing at any action.
southpaw82
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sun, 14 Aug 2016 - 11:54) *
A copy of the thing please?
Without we are only guessing at any action.

If it's an FPN, how will a copy assist?
peterguk
Can a cop issue a PCN, or only a FPN?
southpaw82
QUOTE (peterguk @ Sun, 14 Aug 2016 - 15:43) *
Can a cop issue a PCN, or only a FPN?

It was a CSO, not a police officer. However, if this was an airport bye law offence I believe they'd need to be designated in the bye laws to issue notices. Unless it's a PCN I don't see the value of seeing a copy.
DancingDad
At the moment, I assume an FPN
But don't know.
A copy tells us all.

But all the Op tells us is a Parking Ticket with option to pay or go to court.
Which can describe anything including a PPC ticket
southpaw82
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sun, 14 Aug 2016 - 16:04) *
But don't know.
A copy tells us all.

So he needs to tell us what it is, he doesn't have to show us.
SatNavSam
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 14 Aug 2016 - 16:51) *
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sun, 14 Aug 2016 - 16:04) *
But don't know.
A copy tells us all.

So he needs to tell us what it is, he doesn't have to show us.

Either, or both. But do it.
3narf
Sorry, people; I was away again.

It is a fixed penalty notice.

I just noticed the date is wrong as well, in addition to the error made in vehicle make.

It is signed as a clearway but it's also signed as pick up only.

I can scan in the ticket still, if it helps.

TBH I think it's highly unlikely my car park pass can be taken off me for this. The woman seemed vindictive enough at the time to accuse me of abusing her (I told her I had nothing but contempt for her; this wasn't abuse, it was true); some of the mud might have stuck if she did but she missed her opportunity. Just faceless beaurocrats to deal with now.
peterguk
So two choices: pay up or take the matter to court.
3narf
I guess so. It's down to if I can be bothered.

I'll probably get legal advice as I'm sure there's a possibilty of the ticket with its errors being inadmissable as evidence.
localdriver
QUOTE (3narf @ Mon, 22 Aug 2016 - 16:48) *

Pick up only or Drop off only? Most of the forecourts are clearways with only the drop off exception.

peterguk
QUOTE (3narf @ Mon, 22 Aug 2016 - 17:47) *
I'll probably get legal advice as I'm sure there's a possibilty of the ticket with its errors being inadmissable as evidence.

Isn't that what you're doing here?

QUOTE (3narf @ Mon, 22 Aug 2016 - 17:47) *
I'm sure there's a possibilty of the ticket with its errors being inadmissable as evidence.

It won't be inadmissable as evidence. Whether it proves the offence is another matter.

Post up a copy of the FPN (redact VRN and name/address) and let's see. Some errors are of no consequence since it was a roadside stop.
southpaw82
Any errors on the FPN are of very limited value, since the FPN isn't more than a scrap of paper once the case goes to court. If those are her only original notes it might be possible to do something with it (such as confuse her in court) but it's quite a long shot and I'd not be taking the gamble (p.s. this is legal advice).
3narf
QUOTE (localdriver @ Mon, 22 Aug 2016 - 17:54) *
QUOTE (3narf @ Mon, 22 Aug 2016 - 16:48) *

Pick up only or Drop off only? Most of the forecourts are clearways with only the drop off exception.

It says 'clearway, short term parking for pick up only'

Thanks all. I'll try scan tomorrow...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.