Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP addressed to company
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
DanK1
Hi

I have a NIP (Kent Constabulary, 46 in 30) addressed to my company, X Limited. The letter states "If the addressee above is a Limited Company then the request for information below is for the attention of the Company Secretary". I am the sole Director of this company. The company does not have a Company Secretary (not required for small companies).

Answering the question on the NIP Wizard "Was the NIP addressed to you personally?" I answered No. The advice is to do nothing i.e. wait for a personally addressed NIP. Is this correct given the information above? Could I be charged under s172 if I ignore this either directly or indirectly as the sole director?

Additional information: Before checking this site (sorry!) I emailed for the photographic evidence from my company email address (firstname.surname@company.etc). The email reply was addressed Dear Surname. However, the attached letter was Dear Sir, again addressed to X Limited. Now they have my name am I just putting off the inevitable i.e. revised NIP in post?!

All help gratefully received.

D
Jlc
The company would be prosecuted for a s172 offence if the driver is not named. Whilst points could not be awarded the fine could be large.
Logician
If a company has no Secretary, then the functions devolve on to the directors and therefore you. If you do not respond the company is likely to be prosecuted as set out by Jlc. If the reason for the failure to respond is with the connivance of a director, that director can also be prosecuted personally. No revised NIP is necessary, you would be well advised to respond to the one you have to avoid any prosecution. If you are already on 9 points, failing to respond would avoid a disqualification at the expensive of a large fine for the company, and possibly for yourself although that it unlikely. We could not however advise you to take that course of action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.