Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Untaxed vehicle fine
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
J4G3D
Recently had a little run in with the DVLA, please allow me to explain..

My relative asked me to put their SORN car on my unused driveway for a few months, last month i had roofers around to lay down a new roof, they also requested access to the drive to put a skip on for 1 week.

So i parked the SORN car on the road outside the house. However it appears one of my trouble making neighbours (Who all the other neighbours dislike), had reported it untaxed. The clampers came and clamped it and demanded £100 i think it was plus ordered to pay for tax. I paid this out of my own pocket as i felt it was my fault and even taxed it, which i plan to cancel and get my relative to declare it sorn again seen as its back on the drive and not in use. Thinking that was the end of that, my relative got a letter through the door demanding a further £445 as a out of court settlement.

I was made redundant last year, i am currently unemployed and im living off my savings. I am NOT claiming state benefits as i refuse to. £445 is just too much for me to pay.

I just want some advice, what the chances of it going to court?. Can i call to explain the situation?. I can see doing a google search that other people have received a out of court settlement of £100. Mine is £445 on top of the £100+ for the clamping and £225 for tax seems extortionate considering it was on the road for 4 to 5 days.

Wish i knew this would happen before helping out others.
Logician
If you ever attended a court dealing with unpaid road tax, you would be amazed how often cars taken off driveways on to the road for just a few hours are caught. DVLA will then ask for tax back to the last time the car was taxed. You can therefore expect both the DVLA and the court, if it goes there, to be very cynical about your story, but by all means ring up and try to negotiate a lower settlement, mentioning you unemployed state.
I would also think again about not claiming benefits, you presumably paid NI when you were working, that is National Insurance and the idea is that you pay in when you can afford to and are entitled to a benefit when and if you need it. It is not any form of charity.
fedup2
If it had been me I would have contacted the car owner and requested they took care of their vehicle for the week while the driveway wasn't available.

You had to know that putting a sorn vehicle on a road had it risks.

Why you would refuse to claim for benefits I'm not sure, especially as your stamp wont be being paid and that could have consequences.

Its good you have took responsibility after all it was your decision though the fines do seem excessive.What you can do about that I'm not sure.
J4G3D
QUOTE (Logician @ Fri, 15 Jul 2016 - 12:59) *
If you ever attended a court dealing with unpaid road tax, you would be amazed how often cars taken off driveways on to the road for just a few hours are caught. DVLA will then ask for tax back to the last time the car was taxed. You can therefore expect both the DVLA and the court, if it goes there, to be very cynical about your story, but by all means ring up and try to negotiate a lower settlement, mentioning you unemployed state.
I would also think again about not claiming benefits, you presumably paid NI when you were working, that is National Insurance and the idea is that you pay in when you can afford to and are entitled to a benefit when and if you need it. It is not any form of charity.

Hmm i wonder if the £445 is calculated based on how long it has not been taxed?. If thats the case i don't think its been taxed for 1.5 years. The tax is £225 a year. So maybe they're basing it on that?, if so i have cctv proof the car was on the driveway and i can also show how long it was outside on the road. Doubt they'd want to see that though.

I choose not to work at the moment, due to a very very bad experience with my last job i was at for 8 years. So i think its only right to live off my own savings rather than claim benefits and get forced into any old job by the job centre. I will work when ready to, and definitely for the right job. hopefully self employed though.

QUOTE (fedup2 @ Fri, 15 Jul 2016 - 13:08) *
If it had been me I would have contacted the car owner and requested they took care of their vehicle for the week while the driveway wasn't available.

You had to know that putting a sorn vehicle on a road had it risks.

Why you would refuse to claim for benefits I'm not sure, especially as your stamp wont be being paid and that could have consequences.

Its good you have took responsibility after all it was your decision though the fines do seem excessive.What you can do about that I'm not sure.

Some people think outside of the box, i was not doing that at the time unfortunately. I literally thought nothing of it.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (J4G3D @ Fri, 15 Jul 2016 - 13:23) *
So i think its only right to live off my own savings rather than claim benefits and get forced into any old job by the job centre.

I was out of work a few years ago for 10 months, I claimed contributions based JSA for 6 months, the job centre never once tried force me into a job, in fact they just let me do my own thing with regards to job seeking.
J4G3D
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Fri, 15 Jul 2016 - 13:29) *
QUOTE (J4G3D @ Fri, 15 Jul 2016 - 13:23) *
So i think its only right to live off my own savings rather than claim benefits and get forced into any old job by the job centre.

I was out of work a few years ago for 10 months, I claimed contributions based JSA for 6 months, the job centre never once tried force me into a job, in fact they just let me do my own thing with regards to job seeking.

A friend who is due to sign on in Sept has had a few meetings with the job centre. They've said you HAVE to make a number of job applications and interviews every 2 weeks. If you fail to apply/attend interviews in those 2 weeks your money will be stopped. When my friend told the adviser that she wants to apply for only jobs relevant to her interests and past experience/qualifications, They've advised her that any job is better than no job and she must apply for anything thats available at the time. I think it must be a new thing. I think working somewhere where you don't want to be is a bad thing, but at least you can keep looking for other jobs while working. Anyway, that's a story for another day i think tongue.gif
The Rookie
So what part of that is taking a job?

You have to show you are seeking a job (Job Seekers Allowance), if you had to go to an interview it's easy to make yourself less attractive than another candidate if you want to.
southpaw82
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 15 Jul 2016 - 16:22) *
So what part of that is taking a job? You have to show you are seeking a job (Job Seekers Allowance), if you had to go to an interview it's easy to make yourself less attractive than another candidate if you want to.

Is this really relevant?

J4G3D
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 15 Jul 2016 - 16:22) *
So what part of that is taking a job?

You have to show you are seeking a job (Job Seekers Allowance), if you had to go to an interview it's easy to make yourself less attractive than another candidate if you want to.

True, but honestly i am happy living off my own money.

Anyway.. another story for another day smile.gif

Has there been any cases of getting this out of court settlement reduced for any reason?.
peterguk
QUOTE (J4G3D @ Fri, 15 Jul 2016 - 22:48) *
Has there been any cases of getting this out of court settlement reduced for any reason?.

Call them and ask them. They can only say no.
J4G3D
Called them, after a hard time actually getting through to speak to someone!.

They said they have no info to hand to respond to queries over the phone. All should be done in writing.

Well there's 6 days till the deadline to pay the out of court settlement. If i send in a letter today, how on earth will they respond within 6 days!?
nosferatu1001
They wont.

Whcih isnt their issue....
peterguk
QUOTE (J4G3D @ Mon, 18 Jul 2016 - 12:44) *
Well there's 6 days till the deadline to pay the out of court settlement. If i send in a letter today, how on earth will they respond within 6 days!?

Not their problem. Their argument will be you chose to do nothing til 6 days to deadline.
J4G3D
QUOTE (peterguk @ Mon, 18 Jul 2016 - 12:58) *
QUOTE (J4G3D @ Mon, 18 Jul 2016 - 12:44) *

Not their problem. Their argument will be you chose to do nothing til 6 days to deadline.

The letter was received 3 days ago to my relative.

The letter is dated 13th July.

In total there is 9 days to pay the out of court settlement!.

What happened to the standard 21 days or 30 days that even councils offer on parking fines..etc.?
Bipolar
Send the letter in anyway, DVLA are about as organised as a bunch of two year olds so the chance of them initiating court action immediately is pretty slim. And they can always withdraw any court action anyway albeit obviously past the deadline the ball is more firmly in their court.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.