Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 62MPH in 40MPH zone by laser gun at 2:44am
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
JVP1
Hi there,

I was driving on the A41 in London (Hendon Way) at 2:44am, roads were completely empty and I had just finished work. Didn't realise I was speeding but saw a marked police land rover parked in a side road. Immediately checked my speed and slowed down. They followed me within 5 seconds and pulled me over.

Officer said I had been speeding doing 62 in a 40 zone and it's all recorded and caught on camera - she then showed me the laser gun showing the speed. Held me there for about 10 minutes then proceeded to give me a verbal NIP and said I will be reported for speeding.

I received a letter yesterday which was a conditional offer of a fixed penalty (£100 and 3 points).

Now my licence is a bit screwed and I really cannot afford anymore points on there, I was wondering if I had any grounds to fight this case. The police officer took the reading from inside the police car however the letter does not state which speed they apparently clocked me at. Is it possible to request this information?

Currently at work so I can upload a picture of the letter when I get home.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

NewJudge
How fast do you think you were going?

The offence is exceeding the speed limit, not travelling at xxmph. If you are to successfully defend the matter you will have to convince the court that the reading taken by the officer was more than 50% adrift. Not an easy task.
peterguk
QUOTE (JVP1 @ Fri, 8 Jul 2016 - 13:23) *
Now my licence is a bit screwed and I really cannot afford anymore points on there

Which means what in terms of points? 9?

If so, you're looking at a 6 months totting ban.
JVP1
QUOTE (NewJudge @ Fri, 8 Jul 2016 - 13:34) *
How fast do you think you were going?

The offence is exceeding the speed limit, not travelling at xxmph. If you are to successfully defend the matter you will have to convince the court that the reading taken by the officer was more than 50% adrift. Not an easy task.

Yeah I understand but as I said I had just gotten off work and was really tired lol. Wanted to just get home at that point. I honestly don't remember. If I were to take a guess I'd say I was doing about 50ish seeing as it was completely dead at the time.

QUOTE (peterguk @ Fri, 8 Jul 2016 - 13:37) *
QUOTE (JVP1 @ Fri, 8 Jul 2016 - 13:23) *
Now my licence is a bit screwed and I really cannot afford anymore points on there

Which means what in terms of points? 9?

If so, you're looking at a 6 months totting ban.

In terms of insurance costs. It's costing me £1200 to be a named driver right now due to a previous totting up ban from no insurance incidents. If I were to declare another 3 points to the insurance company, I'm sure they will shaft the hell out of me
BaggieBoy
I'd say you have no chance to defend this based on what you have said.
JVP1
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Fri, 8 Jul 2016 - 13:56) *
I'd say you have no chance to defend this based on what you have said.

sad.gif am I out of the threshold for a speed awareness course?
NewJudge
QUOTE (JVP1 @ Fri, 8 Jul 2016 - 14:04) *
sad.gif am I out of the threshold for a speed awareness course?

Yes. 53mph is the usual cut off for a SAC.
The Rookie
You may want to also consider if you actually have valid insurance.

Given you have already had one totting ban I'd suggest any estimate of your speed is more than likely to be optimistic?
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 8 Jul 2016 - 14:35) *

Indeed, if you are named driver but are are also the main driver (or possibly the only driver), you may be complicit in insurance "fronting".

Given you have already had one totting ban I'd suggest any estimate of your speed is more than likely to be optimistic?

Since the totting ban was due to (presumably two) insurance offences, maybe not.
JVP1

Yeah, the insurance is definitely valid. They're completely aware of my previous driving history. It was actually a complicated situation; my insurance had run out (9 month policy) and it was a matter of 6 hours but the insurance company had already closed before I could get on the phone to them. Judge didn't care and gave me 6 points meaning my licence was revoked. I continued to drive and then got stopped a year down the line adding another 6 points and landing a 6 month ban.

Zero previous speed related incidences.
andy_foster

Presumably you mean that whilst we are not here to pass judgment on OPs seeking advice, it is often prudent to offer advice on other possible issues which the facts as stated tend to point towards, and which the OP might not themselves be aware of.

We are aware that some drivers have difficulty insuring their cars in their own names and try to save money by insuring it in the name of a lower risk driver, such as a parent, and adding themselves as a named driver. This is known as 'fronting', and is a very bad thing. The fact that you are paying to be a named driver suggests that this is a possibility, although it is far from conclusive. If you are 'fronting', you might not be aware of the legal implications - just google "fronting".

@OP please understand that the Rookie has deep rooted personal problems which result in a compulsion to criticise the actions of others, regardless of whether there are any grounds for criticism. Obviously, rational people would have read that your totting up ban was for insurance offences and nothing to do with speeding, let alone your perceived ability to estimate speed accurately.
southpaw82
It's not a question of your previous convictions, it's a question of whether the insurance company understand you're the main driver or not (not that's it's really anyone's business here but it may save you further pain down the road).
JVP1
@OP please understand that the Rookie has deep rooted personal problems which result in a compulsion to criticise the actions of others, regardless of whether there are any grounds for criticism. Obviously, rational people would have read that your totting up ban was for insurance offences and nothing to do with speeding, let alone your perceived ability to estimate speed accurately.

Lol. It's okay, I came here seeking for advice and I've got nothing to hide so it's all good. Appreciate the heads up though

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 8 Jul 2016 - 15:02) *
It's not a question of your previous convictions, it's a question of whether the insurance company understand you're the main driver or not (not that's it's really anyone's business here but it may save you further pain down the road).

Oh sorry I misunderstood. I am in no way "fronting" as per say. The car is owned and insured to my sister and I only use it occasionally when I am working a night shift which occurs maybe once per month. When I said it's costing me £1200 to be a named driver, that's because it only cost her £350 for her policy and to add me as a named driver was an extra £1200 on top of that. I am afraid that this is going to increase substantially and will affect me when I do get my ban cleared from my licence and get my own policy.
andy_foster
QUOTE (JVP1 @ Fri, 8 Jul 2016 - 15:17) *
it only cost her £350 for her policy and to add me as a named driver was an extra £1200 on top of that. I am afraid that this is going to increase substantially and will affect me when I do get my ban cleared from my licence and get my own policy.

If you are already considered a high risk, any further endorsements can be costly, however I suspect that it's the underlying IN10s rather than the ban that has made insurance so expensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.