Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New speed camera design...?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Technical Discussion of Enforcement Devices
«THÖMÅS®©™»
Note: VIDEO

There is one of these cameras near to my address and it is completely obscured by a tree trunk and you cannot see it until you are less than 10 feet from it. My question is this: Are they even legal?

Don't you have to be able to see it to be prosecuted by anything it captures?

I have not been caught by it by the way, I am just curious... Here are some pics for clarification...

When I go past it again, I will try and get some photo's of it for you from various distances.... This camera in the pic tho is exactly the same design.

I found this gem on the website: https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/personal/speeding

Rules and regulations for speed cameras

In 2001 the law was changed so that speed cameras had to be painted yellow to ensure visibility. Many other rules were also brought in regarding speed cameras.

The regulations decree that:

speed camera housings must be coloured yellow
camera housings cannot be obscured, e.g. by trees, bushes or signs
cameras must be visible from 60m away in 40mph or less zones and 100m for all other speed limit zones

signs must only be placed in areas where camera housings are located or where mobile cameras are in operation
in order to make them visible, mobile speed camera operators must wearing fluorescent clothing, and their vehicles should be marked with reflective strips
camera sites are to be reviewed at least every six months in order to ensure that cameras are adequately visible and signed.
peterguk
When looking for rules and regs. you need to find the legislation, not 3rd party websites.

AFAIK, there has been no legal requirement for cameras to be visible for some years, although i believe there are changes in the pipeline.
Jlc
It's a Truvelo D-Cam. It's type approved, some info here.
Rallyman72
And in April 2007 those guidelines quoted by the OP were withdrawn when 'income' from cameras was no longer kept by the SCP but went into central government coffers instead.

Why should you be able to see a camera in order to be prosecuted by evidence from it. If that were the case you'd be able to extend that principle so that a police officer had to be visible to prosecute a theft or a murder and that wouldn't happen would it?

What happened before we had speed cameras - why the police would sit out of sight and monitor a road and woe betide you if you were going too fast. You'd not always see them but you would soon hear a siren and see the blues, or, if you are old enough, hear a bell!
«THÖMÅS®©™»
I always thought that static speed cameras always had to be visible. The one near me is the only one that I know of that is obscured or completely hidden by street furniture/signs or a big tree trunk!
The Rookie
HSTORY
Speed cameras were in use for a while, then the Tony Blair government decided to significantly expand usage, to stave off complaints he told the country that speed cameras would 'have' to be visible, the camera partnerships self funding model was set up and they had to follow the DFT guidelines for conspicuity in order to keep the money, if they failed to follow the guidelines they could report themselves to themselves and decide whether they should keep the money or not ( c) Andy-F for description).

When Hypothecation (keeping the money) ended they no longer had to make cameras visible, as far as I know the DFT guidelines have never been withdrawn so if they decide a camera should be visible then those are guidelines they can follow when doing so.

Visibility (or lack of) has never been a defence in law.

Many older static cameras aren't in use, just the box left as a deterrent, in which case visibility is preferable. Even when in use, on average only 1 in 6 boxes contained a camera device though some of the others were fitted with dummy flash units.
JC Denton
What's interesting to me, is that a brand new camera system still requires a secondary flash unit to provide sufficient illumination at night...

JC.
emsgeorge
QUOTE (JC Denton @ Wed, 8 Jun 2016 - 17:56) *
What's interesting to me, is that a brand new camera system still requires a secondary flash unit to provide sufficient illumination at night...

JC.

Digital cameras require more light than traditional wet film cameras.

HD cameras need even more light ........

Hence why you still see banks with the huge wet film cameras for raids.
southpaw82
QUOTE («THÖMÅS®©™» @ Wed, 8 Jun 2016 - 02:51) *
I always thought that static speed cameras always had to be visible.

That is incorrect.
andy_foster
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Thu, 9 Jun 2016 - 12:21) *

That is incorrect.

I disagree. I have no reason to doubt the OP's claim that he always thought that static speed cameras always had to be visible.

Whilst Simon has pretty well summed up the background to the common misconception, I must take issue with him on 2 points. Whilst I appreciate the attirbution, I never copyrighted that phrase, so it is freely in the public domain. Also, why on earth put a space after the first bracket to avoid the forum software turning (c) into © when the purpose is to indicate copyright, rather than paragraph (c)?
southpaw82
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Thu, 9 Jun 2016 - 13:02) *
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Thu, 9 Jun 2016 - 12:21) *

That is incorrect.

I disagree. I have no reason to doubt the OP's claim that he always thought that static speed cameras always had to be visible.

Pedant!
«THÖMÅS®©™»
Lost me...
typefish
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Thu, 9 Jun 2016 - 13:50) *
Pedant!

laugh.gif

I do wonder whenever they'll get around to painting all of the HADECS kit yellow - yup, that was supposed to be a thing - not like you can see them from afar anyway...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.