Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paid By Card But Didn't Realise Payment Declined
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Luckwudaveit
My wife went to pay using a debit card at a South Lanarkshire Council pay & display machine. She selected the payment amount, entered the PIN and what she assumed was a ticket appeared. There was no error message on the machine.

She returned to the car and displayed the ticket.

On returning, she had a PCN. She checked the ticket and it turns out it is a Card Void Receipt. It is printed on the same sticker as a ticket and says "Pay & Display Use sticker on back to fix to window".

Lesson learnt the hard way or grounds to appeal?

Incandescent
Frankly, I can't see that getting past an adjudicator, and it would never get past the council. The "ticket" that came out is plain enough so whilst you can make an appeal based on mitigation, I can't see any statutory grounds to get the PCN cancelled. However, the machine not displaying any processing error is something in your favour and if you want to stand your ground, might be the best way forward.

"I put my card into the machine, entered the details, and got a ticket which I displayed. So the machine acted exactly as I expected, my card was returned, and I received what I took to be a ticket. In my haste to get to an appointment, I did not read the ticket closely assuming it was a valid P&D ticket. It seems to me that the action of the machine was misleading. The correct action would surely have been to return my card, and display a message on the machine, and not issue a piece of paper that most people will assume is a parking ticket"

Luckwudaveit
Thanks for the reply. Considering whether it's worth an appeal or not.
Incandescent
QUOTE (Luckwudaveit @ Wed, 25 May 2016 - 20:18) *
Thanks for the reply. Considering whether it's worth an appeal or not.

You could submit an informal appeal on the lines I wrote before the discount period expires. Most councils will re-offer the discount if they reject the appeal, and it normally says so on the back of the PCN. If it doesn't you'd need to check with the council.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.