Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LEGAL CHANGES
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
purplekim
Hi all

After an exhausting challenge on a yellow crossing contravention from council (since last year) which was declined, I have found that the law has changed:

I thought it would be good to list these changes on a thread. So here goes:

1. You lose your right to challenge after 14 days and are liable for the full ticket? If you appeal after that date you are liable for the full amount.
2. If you appeal after 14 days you do not have the right to pay the discounted rate - you pay the full amount as it is after 14 days.
3. Contacting the local authority and being in deadlock doesn't help as the 14 days would have passed.
4. Improper procedure doesn't apply if the council delivers the letter to the wrong address, even after being informed of the situation and then re-issues the ticket after the 28 day deadline.
5. Tickets have different regulations on them.

This was confirmed by the Appeals Office and the payment due (50% or full amount is at the council's discretion) - appeal and they make more money!! Hence lets be as unhelpful as possible!! And never respond within the time scales.

Basically designed to reduce the number of appeals, ensure that councils get your money.

Cant believe English law has got to this stage!!
DancingDad
Those are not changes, they are interpretations and may be totally incorrect.
Some like challenging after the 14 day period and losing discount have been there since year dot in parking and moving traffic decriminalised legislation
Neil B
QUOTE (purplekim @ Wed, 18 May 2016 - 10:39) *
Hi all

After an exhausting challenge on a yellow crossing contravention from council (since last year) which was declined, I have found that the law has changed:

I thought it would be good to list these changes on a thread. So here goes:

1. You lose your right to challenge after 14 days and are liable for the full ticket? If you appeal after that date you are liable for the full amount. Unlikely but possible - but it's not a change
2. If you appeal after 14 days you do not have the right to pay the discounted rate - you pay the full amount as it is after 14 days. Same as has always been
3. Contacting the local authority and being in deadlock doesn't help as the 14 days would have passed. You submit reps or you don't?
4. Improper procedure doesn't apply if the council delivers the letter to the wrong address, even after being informed of the situation and then re-issues the ticket after the 28 day deadline. It might do if we had details
5. Tickets have different regulations on them. Que?

This was confirmed by the Appeals Office and the payment due (50% or full amount is at the council's discretion) - appeal and they make more money!! Hence lets be as unhelpful as possible!! And never respond within the time scales. Stupid idea

Basically designed to reduce the number of appeals, ensure that councils get your money.

Cant believe English law has got to this stage!!

This is all nonsense.

If it relates to a PCN you've had then let's have the details.
John U.K.
I am confused sad.gif
Are you talking about this thread?
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=100963

If so, you left us at the point of registering the appeal... It might be helpful to know what happened next?
Did it get to adjudication? If so, what is the case number.
Neil B

Make of that what you will.
DancingDad
QUOTE (Neil B @ Thu, 19 May 2016 - 10:40) *

Make of that what you will.

The delay in this case was due to the Appellant moving address I find no procedural improprieties committed by this Authority

WTF?
Authority stepped right out of process.
And while a PI as such does not exist in moving traffic, gross errors still can cancel a PCN.

Love to see what the OP put into their appeal, cos they had the ammo.
The Rookie
Given the error laden rant in the first post, I'm guessing the appeal wasn't particularly well researched or presented perhaps?
Neil B
Decision 9/5/16 so HEADS UP KIM - just a few days left to apply for a review - and get it right this
time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.