Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possibly caught by a Truvelo Camera...
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
jnc90
As above I'm in that nervous 2 week period waiting for a letter through the door after having a close call with a camera on the A4226. Did some research and looks like it was a Truvelo camera with the built in infra red flash pointing head on towards me. From reading how they work however the set up of the camera is not as expected. It simply had the usual lines you see with a GATSO in one lane (not the lane I was in) but couldn't see the 3 lines across the road that would seem to be the expected set up with Truvelo cameras?
Not sure if pasting a link to the Google Maps street view will work but this is the spot...
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4219105,-...#33;6m1!1e1
In case that doesn't work for some people I've also screenshotted it and attached the images.

Also, on that Google maps link, if you use the tool in the top left to jump back to street view from 2008, the camera is still there but pointing in the opposite direction and the 3 lines across the road are in place?

I did slow down pretty quickly on seeing it and was certainly within the 40mph limit by the time I got to the GATSO lines in the opposite lane. Although I know they don't flash like usual cameras I've read that the IR flash is still quite noticeable just not blinding, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see anything go off. Can anyone judge whether you think I've been done by this one?

Cheers smile.gif
Jlc
Firstly Truvelo's do not use IR flash. They use a normal flash with a magenta filter and is very noticeable.

They usually operate in a forward-facing operation - like this. The speed is measured by buried sensors (here) and the time is calculated for the front wheels to travel to the 3 tightly spaced lines (10cm apart). The camera then flashes and if the wheels are within the lines then the speed is corroborated.

However, they can operate in a more normal rear-facing mode - like a Gatso. The current setup appears to be this - so it appears you weren't caught?

The manual with more information is here.
jnc90
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 10:11) *
Firstly Truvelo's do not use IR flash. They use a normal flash with a magenta filter and is very noticeable.

They usually operate in a forward-facing operation - like this. The speed is measured by buried sensors (here) and the time is calculated for the front wheels to travel to the 3 tightly spaced lines (10cm apart). The camera then flashes and if the wheels are within the lines then the speed is corroborated.

However, they can operate in a more normal rear-facing mode - like a Gatso. The current setup appears to be this - so it appears you weren't caught?

The manual with more information is here.

Thanks for the reply! If it is being used in the style of a GATSO then is it also true for these cameras that they would have to use the lines in the road to gauge my speed and only work on rear facing cars, like a GATSO? If so then hopefully I should be fine in the direction I was travelling in and the fact I was under 40 by the time I got to the lines anyway.

Thanks very much for putting my mind at rest Jlc:)
Jlc
The primary measurement is by buried sensors - there doesn't appear to be any on your side of the road...

The enforcement threshold is from 46mph anyway so it's seems likely you're safe.
andy_foster
You've been cr*pping yourself for 2 weeks because you passed a speed camera below the speed limit and it didn't visibly flash?
jnc90
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 10:31) *
The primary measurement is by buried sensors - there doesn't appear to be any on your side of the road...

The enforcement threshold is from 46mph anyway so it's seems likely you're safe.

Great stuff thanks mate! Been very helpful. From reading a few articles online and from what you've said it doesn't look like it could be set up like a standard Truvelo as it would require the 3 lines spanning across the road to legally prosecute anyway even if the sensors were in place and if it is being used in the style of a Gatso then I wouldn't have been worried in the first place smile.gif Just an unfamiliar looking camera unit threw me off!

QUOTE (andy_foster @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 11:20) *
You've been cr*pping yourself for 2 weeks because you passed a speed camera below the speed limit and it didn't visibly flash?

Didn't say anything abiout 'cr*pping' myself and it's been 2 days not 2 weeks. As I have explained above was worried I might have been caught out by a type of camera I'm unfamiliar with (which many sites state does not use traditional flash) and the set up of which didn't seem to match up with what was described from my research so had no idea how it worked.
peterguk
QUOTE (jnc90 @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 11:38) *
it would require the 3 lines spanning across the road to legally prosecute anyway

Incorrect. Rear facing Truvelos can use dragons teeth as per your photos.

http://www.drivesafe.org.uk/Safety-Cameras...es/Truvelo.aspx
Jlc
QUOTE (peterguk @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 11:49) *
it would require the 3 lines spanning across the road to legally prosecute anyway

The 3 narrow spaced lines (10cm apart) are used in front-capture and dragons teeth in rear-capture indeed. But the OP was approaching on the non-teeth side.
peterguk
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 11:53) *

The 3 narrow spaced lines (10cm apart) are used in front-capture and dragons teeth in rear-capture indeed. But the OP was approaching on the non-teeth side.

Agreed.
jnc90
QUOTE (peterguk @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 12:06) *
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 11:53) *

Agreed.

Cheers both, yeah was on the opposite side so looks like I'm okay thankfully smile.gif
Rallyman72
I tripped a Truvelo in the daytime last year (never heard anything) and I can say that, in front facing mode, you definitely know that it has gone off!
Jlc
QUOTE (Rallyman72 @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 18:43) *
I tripped a Truvelo in the daytime last year (never heard anything) and I can say that, in front facing mode, you definitely know that it has gone off!

Indeed, apparently at night time they can cause quite a fright. As I never speed I would never know... angel12.gif
jnc90
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 19:59) *
QUOTE (Rallyman72 @ Tue, 17 May 2016 - 18:43) *

Indeed, apparently at night time they can cause quite a fright. As I never speed I would never know... angel12.gif

The filter on the flash not really doing much then? huh.gif
Jlc
Nope, just a magenta tinge:

The Rookie
There is plenty of evidence that that change of colour reduces the post flash blindness effect versus a white light.
jnc90
Just to update everyone, been over 2 weeks now since what I thought was my close call and nothing through the post so looks like you guys were correct! Thanks again all! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.