Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [NIP Wizard] NIP for personal contract hire vehicle outside of 14days limit?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
wizbongre
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - April 2016
Date of the NIP: - 14 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 16 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - Scotland Road between Dryden Street & Juvenal Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L3, United Kingdom
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - My wife was driving the car on this day (we had swapped cars as I was taking the kids out for the afternoon.) She is a district nurse and was probably out on visits.

The car is a personal contract hire via Arval, with them as the owner and me as the registered keeper. The NIP clearly states the registered keeper should have received the NIP within 14 days but it appears they have sent the initial NIP to Arval and I have now received the 2nd.

Given I am the registered keeper and therefore I think I should have received an NIP within 14 days, I don't believe I have as it has arrived 16 days after the offence.

Am I clutching at straws?!

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - No
Was there a valid reason for the NIP's late arrival? - No

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The first NIP to the Registered Keeper must arrive within 14 days unless there is a valid reason why that was not possible, for example a recent change of details.

This link will take you to the advice provided by the RAC's legal team.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Fri, 13 May 2016 14:22:23 +0000
NewJudge
If you are the Registered Keeper how did the police get the details of Arval? Do you have the V5C (Registration Document)?
wizbongre
Good question.

No, Arval keep all of the V5C documents for cars they own. I have just had it confirmed over the phone I am the registered keeper - maybe I need to speak to them again and get 100% clarity on that.
NewJudge
It's my guess (and only a guess) that Arval are the Registered Keepers of the vehicle with you as the person who generally keeps it. If that is indeed the case the NIP only has to arrive with the RK within 14 days (which seems likely since what is probably the second one reached you in 16 days). There is no time limit on subsequnt NIPs.
wizbongre
Yes, that's what I'm thinking too. However I thought a V5C only had two entries, "owner" and "keeper"? Is there a specific "person who generally keeps it" entry, as that seems a bit vague? smile.gif

I might ask them to send me a copy for my own clarity. My wife has a clean license so I'm hoping worst case she will be able to take a SAC, which will be only marginally less annoying than listening to me moan at her for allegedly speeding in my pride and joy!
The Rookie
It is possible you are registered keeper in name but C/O at Arvals address, that means it will still have gone there first.

If Arval have the V5c, the reg keepers address cannot be yours.....the DVLA only send it to the RK address.
wizbongre
Now that makes a lot more sense - thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.