Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unsigned NIP
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
steady57
Got flashed in the face in Chesterfield on Sunday. Allegedly doing 36 in a 30 zone. An NIP came today but not signed and dated by the police at the bottom.

Is it legal?
andy_foster
Why would it be dated at the bottom?
steady57
QUOTE (steady57 @ Thu, 13 Apr 2006 - 18:39) *
Got flashed in the face in Chesterfield on Sunday. Allegedly doing 36 in a 30 zone. An NIP came today but not signed and dated by the police at the bottom.

Is it legal?

It says:

FOR POLICE USE ONLY

I HEREBY CERTIFY that I this day served the within-named defendant with a document of which this is a true copy, by sending it by post to him/her in a prepaid envelope addressed as above, being his/her last known place of abode.

Date..........................................Signature.........................
Rallyman72
It will be on their office copy - how can they sign and date it after posting it to you?
andy_foster
That's the certificate of service.
They sign their copy - "...of which this is a true copy...".
If they signed your copy, I'd have concerns about their honesty.
firefly
It would be of enormous help to actually see the NIP. Can you scan it and post it up? Remove any personal details, of course.
steady57
Dear FF,

Cant get it to paste here. The consencus seems to be that it is only their office copy that is signed.

Just wondered if they always come like this.

Steady57
jeffreyarcher
QUOTE (steady57)
The consencus seems to be that it is only their office copy that is signed.

You miss the point, Firefly wishes to see, inter alia, what evidence there is that the author of the S172 notice was acting on behalf of the COoP.
Barking Mad
For my tuppence worth:

I got 'flashed' this time last year.

They say they sent me a NIP whcih I never got at the time.

7 weeks after the 'offence' they sent me a letter chasing the reply I hadn't made.

Cutting to the quick...

At court, I produced my wife's original NIP (because I named her as a POSSIBLE driver at the time) and compared their copy - they both had a signature.

Once this had been accepted by the persecution, I pointed out the missing signature from their copy of the NIP they had said they sent me in April; I asked whether it was okay for them to break / ignore the requirements of the law on their side to convict me.

The magistrates agreed with me and threw out both failing to name the driver (where I had given an either or [me or the wife], but saying it was probably me), and the speeding charge - solely, so he explained (the chairman of the Mags) because the ticket office 'had not followed procedure' and they could not be sure whether the original, missing NIP had been signed or not...

Read the thread here: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=9425. And look at the scanned copies of the NIPs produced in court.

Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.