Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Width Restriction - used bus lane, now fined.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Cabopino
I recently travelled down an unknown (to me) road, where I was greeted by one of this disgusting width restrictions. It was on an industrial estate, so not a main road of any description.

Like many, I took the decision that as I was the only car on the road, I would use the bus lane, as opposed to the certainty of causing damage to the tyres and rims on my car.

This is in the Ealing borough of London, and I have now received a penalty charge notice.

Is it worth me pursuing the idea of measuring the width of the gap, the width of my car, and appealing to their better nature, or do I give in and pay a fine which has no correlation to any loss of earnings for the council?
PASTMYBEST
Post up the pcn redact only personal details leave in date time and location. Get the video, what does it show
peterguk
QUOTE (Cabopino @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 13:07) *
to the certainty of causing damage to the tyres and rims on my car.

Never heard of a width restriction being too narrow for a normal car. Out of interest, what car?
MrChips
Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but if your car couldn't fit through the width restriction does that not mean it's not permitted to continue down that road?
PASTMYBEST
QUOTE (MrChips @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 14:32) *
Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but if your car couldn't fit through the width restriction does that not mean it's not permitted to continue down that road?

yup and as peter said never seen one that narrow. Back in my younger day's I used to squeeze a HGV through a 6 foot 6 width restriction, It sure peed the coppers off
Cabopino
QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 13:54) *

Never heard of a width restriction being too narrow for a normal car. Out of interest, what car?

I drive a fairly normal sized saloon car. I just don't like to chance the damage when it's about a centimetre either side to play with.
peterguk
QUOTE (Cabopino @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 15:16) *

I drive a fairly normal sized saloon car. I just don't like to chance the damage when it's about a centimetre either side to play with.

That's why i'm asking. Can't say i've ever seen a width restriction only a few mms wider than a normal car. There's normally at least 5% either side.
PASTMYBEST
Without further info. we cannot give you advice
Cabopino
QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 15:39) *

That's why i'm asking. Can't say i've ever seen a width restriction only a few mms wider than a normal car. There's normally at least 5% either side.

Okey doke. My OP didn't say my car physically wouldn't fit, it said I avoided it as they are overly narrow, and the road situation at that time I deemed to be safe and reasonable to use the larger space.

So we can all sit here and pretend we would sail through one of these things with a few centimetres either side and not give a second thought to some expensive alloys on a very new car. That's definitely the feedback I asked for in my original post, isn't it.
peterguk
QUOTE (Cabopino @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 15:57) *
QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 15:39) *

Just trying to ascertain whether you had a right to proceed down the road or whether you should have been restricted due to size. Now we know. rolleyes.gif

Okey doke. My OP didn't say my car physically wouldn't fit, it said I avoided it as they are overly narrow, and the road situation at that time I deemed to be safe and reasonable to use the larger space.

So we can all sit here and pretend we would sail through one of these things with a few centimetres either side and not give a second thought to some expensive alloys on a very new car. That's definitely the feedback I asked for in my original post, isn't it.

Well at least we know the reason for not using the restriction was laziness as opposed to yuor vehicle being too large.
PASTMYBEST
We have made so comments re this and your right not what you want to hear, so sorry. But we need to see the location, and the PCN to ascertain the contravention cited
and the restriction is signed correctly, and if there are any error with the PCN it happens quite often.

Give us the information and we can try to help
Cabopino
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 16:05) *
We have made so comments re this and your right not what you want to hear, so sorry. But we need to see the location, and the PCN to ascertain the contravention cited
and the restriction is signed correctly, and if there are any error with the PCN it happens quite often.

Give us the information and we can try to help

Thank you Sir. The PCN is not with me, Mrs Cabopino called to give me the good news. The location for interest is here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5462493,-...#33;6m1!1e1

As mentioned, I knew full well I was taking a chance to avoid potential damage - let's face it these things aren't set out to be easy to pass through, but I wondered if this post might trigger any information about a stance which could mitigate me, even if it was a classic 'let off first time' as some councils do on parking tickets.

The contravention took place at around 3:15pm on a weekday. As you'll see from the road style, I took the opportunity to use the larger space, as it wasn't a main road, so to speak.

DancingDad
By the looks of that, you contravened both Blue "keep left" sign and "No Entry" signs.
Which are clearly visible from some way away and have an escape route immediately by them (road to the right)

We really need to see the PCN to find if any technical issues arise, otherwise, IMO, not a chance of winning.
PASTMYBEST
That there is no advanced warning, and the width restriction sign is turned may offer some hope. you need to get the video
and see if the width restriction sign can be seen.

From GSV it does look narrow.

If you cannot get hold of the PCN The ask Mrs for

The date of contravention
The date of issue of the PCN
What the contravention is including code

And lastly for now it will state at the top the regulations used London local authorities act or Traffic management act
we need that in full to work out timescales. But get the PCN ASAP
Cabopino
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 17:01) *
That there is no advanced warning, and the width restriction sign is turned may offer some hope. you need to get the video

And lastly for now it will state at the top the regulations used London local authorities act or Traffic management act

I wondered about that sign... wink.gif

I'll upload the PCN when I get home later, if you see the update to this post I'd be very grateful indeed. Quick question - if I ask for the video, do I lose the opportunity to pay a reduced penalty if no mitigating is there? Thanks for your input - really appreciated.
PASTMYBEST
QUOTE (Cabopino @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 17:19) *
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 17:01) *

I wondered about that sign... wink.gif

I'll upload the PCN when I get home later, if you see the update to this post I'd be very grateful indeed. Quick question - if I ask for the video, do I lose the opportunity to pay a reduced penalty if no mitigating is there? Thanks for your input - really appreciated.

Can't really answer that without knowing the regs have a look at the council web site see what they say
Cabopino
Apologies for the delay. Here is the letter concerned. Any thoughts gratefully received!

DancingDad
Sorry to be blunt but pay the discount
peterguk
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 18:01) *

Is that relevant bearing in mind OP could have travelled through the width restriction had he chosen too? (as opposed to driving a restricted vehicle).
jdh
There's no 'except buses' plates there on the 'no entry' so how do buses legally use it? Are the signs correct as per the order?
Cabopino
Here's the video: https://viewmypcn.co.uk/view.aspx

And here's the location again: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&...ePnD7EQpx8IbzAN

As I watch this evidence again, I wonder if I was fully aware, since I turned out of a side road, and didn't have any signage to warn me of this before having to make a prompt decision.
DancingDad
QUOTE (Cabopino @ Wed, 30 Mar 2016 - 11:43) *
.....As I watch this evidence again, I wonder if I was fully aware, since I turned out of a side road, and didn't have any signage to warn me of this before having to make a prompt decision.

It won't wash with an adjudicator.
Very clear No Entry signs, perhaps the most visible and recognisable sign on our roads.
Easily visible from many yards away or if joining from any side roads leading to restriction.

A schedule 36 sign so no order needed, it is a contravention against the sign.
Doesn't matter if the width restriction sign was turned, local buses sign missing or turned, two ruddy great big No Entry signs.

I think my record on here supports that I do not give up lightly or often suggest paying up but sorry, you are clutching at straws with IMO no chance of winning unless the council really feck up.
Cabopino
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Wed, 30 Mar 2016 - 11:21) *
QUOTE (Cabopino @ Wed, 30 Mar 2016 - 11:43) *
.....As I watch this evidence again, I wonder if I was fully aware, since I turned out of a side road, and didn't have any signage to warn me of this before having to make a prompt decision.

It won't wash with an adjudicator.
Very clear No Entry signs, perhaps the most visible and recognisable sign on our roads.
Easily visible from many yards away or if joining from any side roads leading to restriction.

A schedule 36 sign so no order needed, it is a contravention against the sign.
Doesn't matter if the width restriction sign was turned, local buses sign missing or turned, two ruddy great big No Entry signs.

I think my record on here supports that I do not give up lightly or often suggest paying up but sorry, you are clutching at straws with IMO no chance of winning unless the council really feck up.

Appreciate your input. I'm a layman when it comes to this stuff. Just thought I would investigate if I had any leeway. As ever, I cannot for the life of me see any correlation between £65 and what that actually pays for, but that's life! Appreciate your time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.