Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bus Lane PCN Newcastle
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Nanu
Click to view attachment
Just received a PCN for being in a bus Lane. As can be seen from the attached image the road is actually a dual carraigeway with both Southbound Lanes closed due to roadworks. The two Northbound lanes are being used as one lane in each direction and the camera is at the North end facing South. Apparently I entered the bus lane from the south end heading north and although road markings can clearly be seen when travelling in the opposite direction the image attached to thePCN shows no evidence of bus lane signs at the end I entered from. I only realised once I saw the bus lane signs on the road as I exited.

Any views if I have a case?
PASTMYBEST
From that narrative the bus lane must be suspended, else mayhem would ensue

Post up the PCN and view the video if possible post it here
Mad Mick V
Looks like John Dobson Street.

OP needs to consider this thread:-

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry1160609

Mick
Nanu
Thanks Mick,

Yes it is John Dobson Street and the link is very helpful.
I have replied to the asked the council on line to provide evidence of the signage that I have passed which would have warned me of the bus lane. All the image shows is me leaving what they say is a bus lane.
Whilst there is clear signage for the bus lane in the opposite direction as can be seen on the image and no doubt they will be able to provide documentry proof that I have driven down a bus lane but I would suggest that without evidence of the correst signage being in place at the end of the bus lane I entered the charge notice is invalid.
Am I correct in thinking that being in a bus lane per say is not the offence but contravening the signs is? or at least it is for them to prove that the signage for the bus lane was in place at the time of the incident which the image provided does not prove.
Mad Mick V
Being in a bus lane is the contravention but, as you comment were the signs adequate.

Found something else a TTRO:-

CITY OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE (JOHN DOBSON STREET AREA) TEMPORARY TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER 2016 NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that on 28 January 2016 the Council of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne made an Order under Section 14 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, the effect of which will be to prohibit all vehicles from proceeding on the following lengths of road - (a) John Dobson Street - between St Marys Place and Market Street East, (b) Northumberland Road - between John Dobson Street and Northumberland Street, © Northumberland Street Service Road - for its full length, (d) North Street - for its full length, (e) Durant Road - between John Dobson Street and College Street, (f) Lisle Street - for its full length, (g) Library Service area - for its full length, (h) New Bridge Street West - between John Dobson Street and Erick Street, (i) Erick Street (north of Market Street) - for its full length, (j) Cross Carliol Street - for its full length, (k) Market Street East - between Pilgrim Street and Croft Street and (l) Carliol Street - between Carliol Square and Market Street East. The alternative route for vehicles will be signed on site. The Order is required to allow works to be carried out on or near the highway. Exemptions will be provided for vehicles engaged in the works, police, fire brigade and ambulance vehicles on emergency call, pedal cycles (when signed), and when possible for vehicles requiring access to properties within the closure areas. The Order will come into operation on 5 February 2016 and will continue, as and when the relevant traffic signs are displayed, for 12 months or until the proposed works are completed, whichever is the earlier. The closures will be implemented in phases as and when the relevant signs are displayed. Further information may be obtained by telephoning the Council’s Highways and Local Services section on (0191) 2787878 ext. 26844. Dated: 1 February 2016 L Scott, Service Manager Democratic Services, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH TM Ref: 224833950-01

Mick
Nanu
"The Order will come into operation on 5 February 2016 and will continue, as and when the relevant traffic signs are displayed" &"The closures will be implemented in phases as and when the relevant signs are displayed"

So as I read it, No signs the order does not apply and it is up to them to evidence that the signs were being displayed at the time of the incident or am I being too simplistic?
Mad Mick V
I would email the parking people and ask where the bus lanes currently exist on JDS. With one exception all bus lanes were revoked by the Consolidation Order of 2015 so we need to know whether Bus Lanes have been reinstated.

A no car zone doesn't automatically become a bus lane if the TTRO prohibits vehicles. In fact if the prohibition is a ban on cars a bus lane contravention cannot stand.

The signs are important to determine position and length of any bus lane.

I think this "clever" Council has got it wrong because the road works have resulted in a dual carriageway becoming 2 way and they still want to impose bus lane restrictions even when motorists have to use what they argue is a bus lane to access Ridley Place. A right dog's breakfast!!!!

Mick
Whitevandrayman
Yeah John Dobson street is a bus only point past the turn off for The Five Swans, I deliver regularly to the five swans and the bus lane starts AFTER the turn off for it. The signs were there before the camera went up they're placed just before the bus lane starts and it was mentioned on the radio when the camera was turned on too.

I have seen whole lines of cars going through this when delivering to the five swans, the council will be laughing all the way to the bank!
Nanu
Does anyone have an idea how long councils usually take to respond to challenges to PCN's?
Lynnzer
QUOTE (Whitevandrayman @ Thu, 24 Mar 2016 - 21:19) *
Yeah John Dobson street is a bus only point past the turn off for The Five Swans, I deliver regularly to the five swans and the bus lane starts AFTER the turn off for it. The signs were there before the camera went up they're placed just before the bus lane starts and it was mentioned on the radio when the camera was turned on too.

I have seen whole lines of cars going through this when delivering to the five swans, the council will be laughing all the way to the bank!

Not living in the radio broadcast area, or listening to some other station I wouldn't have heard that broadcast anyway. However don't they also have to advertise it in the local papers? Might not have done so, so may be an appeal point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.