Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Part Exchanged car to dealer and received fine from DVLA
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
TSE
Hi everyone,

Hope you may be able to asdvise me. I bought a new vehicle back in November 2015 and part exchanged my previous vehicle to the same dealer. During the transaction dealer said he'll send off the neecessary paperwork fo DVLA ( the yellow bit) I was a bit sceptical at first but he seemed very insisiten on this. Anyway registered the new vehicle and 3 months later received notification of tax. I sent a letter to the DVLA saying the vehicle was sold along with all the paperwork proving this. I also spoke to the dealership to confirm he had sent the new registered keeper form which he assures me he did. Few weeks later I received acknowledgement that they recevied my lettter and they will process it iwthin 2 weeks but now have fined me for having no insurance??? Spoke to the dealership again and will be asking them to pay the fine even though really I should have sent the 'yellow bit' myself. The tax runs out for the old vehicle on 1st April 2016. Will the DVLA also send me a fine for no Tax on the vehicle if they have not amended their records before the 1st April? How would you approach thios situation?

Thanks in advance!
peterguk
QUOTE (TSE @ Wed, 23 Mar 2016 - 17:15) *
The tax runs out for the old vehicle on 1st April 2016

The tax would have been cancelled/refunded when the notification of change of keeper was received by DVLA.
The Rookie
Except that has clearly not happened so it is still taxed and obviously not insured.
TSE
The plot thickens........ spoke to the dealers and it turns out that they tried to sell the vehicle but it was still registered as stolen. The vehicle was stolen a few years ago and was recovered and returned by the police but seems to be still on the police database as a stolen vehicle. Surely there is a case here for the DVLA to waive the fine for the vehicle not being insured??? If someone else has tried to register the vehicle but can't because it is still on the police database as a stolen vehicle then surely that is not down to the owner of the vehicle?? Should I:

A ask the dealership to pay the fine (in good faith) for the insurance as it was sold to them at the time?
B Pay the fine (£50 within the time period with the deadline being 8/4/16) before it gets to £100 and be done with it all?
C Get information from the police to confimr in writing that the vehicle was reported stolen on xxxxxx and retrieved on xxxxxxx and write the DVLA supplying this information and not pay them a red cent?
D Other

biggrin.gif

Another concern is that the DVLA will try and send a cheeky fine for the vehicle not being taxed after the 1st April and that will really wind me up!!

Logician
AFAIK the dealer should have notified the DVLA that the vehicle was "in trade" which should have removed you as the registered keeper and triggered a refund of any remaining full months of road tax. That did not happen and you have received this fine and not received the refund, so as far as I can see it is up to the dealer to sort out the mess. A prudent dealer would have checked for outstanding finance and a stolen marker when they took in the vehicle. A lesson to us all to send off the paperwork to the DVLA ourselves and not leave it to the dealer.
ojnab
QUOTE (TSE @ Wed, 23 Mar 2016 - 21:12) *
Another concern is that the DVLA will try and send a cheeky fine for the vehicle not being taxed after the 1st April and that will really wind me up!!

IIRC, the DVLA a few years back decided to circumvent the legal system by issuing a sort of invoice for their penalties without actually bothering to fine people. Then they offload it to a debt collector, without actually giving you any opportunity to appeal.

The computer doesn't issue the fines immediately for not having tax, so you're probably ok on that one now they've acknowledged your letter.

It will be interesting to see if they put last November or this March down as the date of transfer. Your penalty for no insurance might get cancelled and you get a tax refund. But I don't think that's likely.

I'd suggest writing recorded delivery and including a photocopy of their acknowledgement, and ask them to cancel the penalty and instead pay you your 4 months of tax refund.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.