Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving on SORN
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
swift-sct
Hi

I am asking this on behalf of someone else who I was talking to last night and it got me thinking.

They have a car which is declared SORN. It has valid insurance and MOT.

last week, they moved house and without thinking drove the car to their new home. Only a mile or so but they did it.

They passed a police traffic car, which I presume had ANPR fitted. The police car however continued on its way without a 2nd glance and did not pull this person over.

It got me thinking, i thought ANPR was constantly on so would it not show SORN? Also, would they not pull the car over if it had detected the SORN as I thought the car would be impounded?

They looked on the DVLA website and noticed the penalty was upto 5k and possible jail time. Is this also correct or is there not a fixed penalty for this offence?
peterguk
Car may have had ANPR, who knows.

ANPR might have been switched on, who knows.

They don't have to stop the car at the time.
Unzippy
ANPR isn't constantly on. Even when it is on, it maybe ignored as they are doing something more important.
swift-sct
If it was on... Would a pull be more likely than a letter
peterguk
QUOTE (swift-sct @ Sun, 6 Mar 2016 - 14:35) *
If it was on... Would a pull be more likely than a letter

No one can answer that question.

At the end of the day your mate took a chance, and needs to man up and forget it unless something arrives in the post.
swift-sct
Fair comment.

So moving on, how is the fine worked out? I have read 5k max fine. Is a fine that high likely if he was to plead guilty etc?
Logician
QUOTE (swift-sct @ Sun, 6 Mar 2016 - 15:18) *
Fair comment. So moving on, how is the fine worked out? I have read 5k max fine. Is a fine that high likely if he was to plead guilty etc?

The maximum fine is £1000 or 5 times the annual duty. Guideline fines are related to net weekly income, 1 to 3 months without tax 50%, 4 to 6 months 100%, 7 to 12 months 150% and in all cases plus amount of tax unpaid, less 33% for a guilty plea, 10% surcharge (maximum £20) and £85 costs.

localdriver
As the there was a SORN in respect of the vehicle, the maximum is a level 4 fine (£2500). s.29,(3A), (b), Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994.
NewJudge
Yes and no possibility of "jail time" (unless the fine remains unpaid).
swift-sct
Thanks for that.

Where do they stand by taxing the car retrospectively i.e taxing it today from the 1st of march? Will that help matters?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.