Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN for driving in a bus lane
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Eas
I have recently got a new job in Coventry City Centre and have been commuting in since the 11/01/16. I usually head down Sky Blue Way, enter the roundabout and take the first exit onto Gosford Street to make my way to a council run car park. There is a bus lane on Sky Blue Way that ends shortly before the roundabout. Sky Blue Way is 3-lane, so I'm typically in the middle before moving over to the left lane and taking the first exit at the roundabout. Now, obviously I have been moving over too early (usually to avoid traffic building up, which are going straight on) and I've snagged myself two PCN's (so far). Just wondering if there's any chance of fighting these based on where I'm travelling and how close I am to the end of the bus lane?

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give.

A few pictures attached.

PASTMYBEST
You need to get the video first thing that is the evidence,
from the photos you could argue that as you entered the left lane at the zig zags that was not the bus lane, and if it was then the signage is confusing
and thus insufficient to convey the restriction, and any incursion would be De minimis

here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4079227,-...3312!8i6656
Incandescent
Indeed, but you'll likely have to test this argument at TPT, as it's unlikely the council will give way. Is this a 24x7 bus lane ! Reason I ask is it seems odd to have zig-zags in the bus lane. Surely buses wouldn't stop there, so why not just have the bus lane markings ?

Personally, I don't see the appeal argument as a particularly strong one, but it might be worth testing it.
PASTMYBEST
QUOTE (Incandescent @ Thu, 11 Feb 2016 - 22:08) *
Indeed, but you'll likely have to test this argument at TPT, as it's unlikely the council will give way. Is this a 24x7 bus lane ! Reason I ask is it seems odd to have zig-zags in the bus lane. Surely buses wouldn't stop there, so why not just have the bus lane markings ?

Personally, I don't see the appeal argument as a particularly strong one, but it might be worth testing it.

TSM 5
17.17 Bus lane markings must not be continued through the controlled area of a pedestrian crossing (marked with zig-zags, see paras 15.14 to 15.26).
The marking to diagram 1049 bounding the with-flow or contra-flow lane is not prescribed for use in such situations; it should be replaced with a row of zigzags
over the length of the controlled area on both sides of the crossing.
If a coloured surface has been used for a bus lane (whether with-flow or contraflow),
this may be continued through the controlled area (although not through the crossing point itself).

Reading this. the zig zags could be interpreted as part of the bus lane. So any argument should be on the confusion caused as they are so close to the end of the
bus lane and de minimis

There are two issues with the PCN

1/ the discount being removed if reps are made

2/ the ability to view the video is curtailed beyond that allowed by the regs

The video will show all hoe long were you in the bus lane

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.