Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forming a prior opinion
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
picko
I have just witnessed 3 policemen holding a mobile camera at a bend in Long Melford Sudbury. As soon as cars exit the bend some have been caught and pulled over. I telephone Bury St Edmunds traffic unit and spoke to Victoria. She said they can do what ever they like so long as they are not in a dangerous position. I asked if "they should be forming a prior opinion?" she said "nope! as I said they can operate the camera how they like" She said if I have a problem with that to write a letter to Joy Mayhew, Cheif inspector.

Now who is right?
nemo
QUOTE (picko @ Thu, 6 Apr 2006 - 12:46) *
I have just witnessed 3 policemen holding a mobile camera at a bend in Long Melford Sudbury. As soon as cars exit the bend some have been caught and pulled over. I telephone Bury St Edmunds traffic unit and spoke to Victoria. She said they can do what ever they like so long as they are not in a dangerous position. I asked if "they should be forming a prior opinion?" she said "nope! as I said they can operate the camera how they like" She said if I have a problem with that to write a letter to Joy Mayhew, Cheif inspector.

Now who is right?

Not Vicky, that's for sure...rolleyes.gif We all know they don't always form prior opinion before zapping, but it can't be that often a scammer (albeit a clerk) admits to a complete breach of ACPO guidelines and the law...

It would be interesting to see what the CC has to say on the matter - are you going to write a letter ?
avonne
I have hade dealings with Joy Mayhew, she was Acting CI last time I wrote to her. Very nice lady all the same.

If you don't write, I bloody well will.
blackdouglas
QUOTE (picko @ Thu, 6 Apr 2006 - 12:46) *

Now who is right?

Both.

Strictly speaking, in law, the operator must form a prior opinion (primary evidence) prior to operating the camera to obatain corrboration (secondary evidence) Or the opionion of a second witness. Except on motorways where the opion of one person is enough.

In practice however, the operators can do what they like and get away with it. And they often do.
picko
Well...... my brother went past there and no less than 20 mins after i made the call they packed up and went....... who knows maybe there were crimes going on in Suffolk and it would look better if 3 police officers tackled some of the more important issues in this county, which after all is what I pay 'em for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.