Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this dangerous Driving
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Dillm2
Hi

I hope you guys can advise me
On one of our local hill there are two lanes up and one down
There was a learner driver in the slow lane doing 27mph by my speedo in a 30
I decided to overtake steadily and was blinded by the sun prior to passing the other car on recovering my vision I had reached the lane merge sign on the road and an island in the road approx 200ft distant
I noted that the other driver had seen me and was slowing down and I felt that the only action was to speed up to ensure I safely passed the Learner keeping as far to the right as possible as the only other option was a possible rear end shunt.

I have been told that this could be construed as Dangerous Driving
BaggieBoy
Unless the other driver had to take avoiding action, it sounds like a simple speeding offence to me. If it was a local road, surely you should have known about the lane merge and not even started the overtake at that point.

Were you seen by a police officer or is this just a "what if"?
Dillm2
Hi
Although it is a local road it is not one I would use
I had started overtaking 100 yards previously at Speed Limit which is why it took so long to overtake
Not sure if I had been seen by an Police officer

I have been driving for 35 years clean licence and I am knocking myself up about a possible lack of judgement

Thanks for your comments
Logician
Well it clearly was not the only possible action on your part, you could have braked and gone in behind the learner. And of course you should not have started the overtaking manoeuvre unless you could see that the road was clear to enable you to complete it, which it clearly was not, there was not sufficient clear road before the lane merger. However I do not think it comes anywhere near the definition of dangerous driving, which is:

a person is to be regarded as driving dangerously if (and, subject to subsection (2) below, only if)—
(a) the way he drives falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver, and
(b) it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.

It does not even sound like careless unless the learner had to brake or there was another vehicle involved, simply a speeding offence as BaggieBoy has said.
peterguk
QUOTE (Dillm2 @ Sun, 15 Nov 2015 - 18:03) *
I decided to overtake when I actually was in the process of overtaking (we were side by side) I noted their was a lane merge sign on the road and an island in the road

I felt that the only action was to speed up to ensure I safely passed the Learner keeping as far to the right as possible as the only other option was a possible rear end shunt

Not forgetting the option of abandoning the overtake, which side of the island did you take?
Dillm2
On the Left hand side
ps From passing the other vehicle to the island according to Google Maps is about 210 ft
StuartBu
QUOTE (Dillm2 @ Sun, 15 Nov 2015 - 18:23) *
Hi
Although it is a local road it is not one I would use
I had started overtaking 100 yes previously at Speed Limit which is why it took so long to overtake
There were plenty of police about so I don't know if I was seen

I have been driving for 35 years clean licence and I am knocking myself up about a possible lack of judgement

Thanks for your comments

Did you mean 100yds and not 100 yes?

"plenty of police about". what does that mean and why" plenty"?
Dillm2
Sorry for the Typo

Have Updated Post to be more readable
Dillm2
Hi
Update
Just realised I have Dash Cam Footage of the incident
I had forgotten that I was blinded by the sun which prevented the view of the signs until I was on top of them
southpaw82
Sounds more like careless/inconsiderate driving and/or speeding.
peterguk
QUOTE (Dillm2 @ Mon, 16 Nov 2015 - 11:32) *
I had forgotten that I was blinded by the sun which prevented the view of the signs until I was on top of them

Which would be no defence had a charge resulted. Swap the sign for a pedistrian and then consider the possibilities...
Dillm2
Yes I agree would have been a disaster

However I have could have chosen better wording after looking at The Dash cam footage and done the maths using speed * time = distance means I was approx 215 ft from
the Sign

I am sorry to go one about this but can't relax about the incident

Thanks
The Rookie
For most the offences that could be considered, they have 14 days in which to notify the registered keeper of the vehicle involved.
Hassan2015
I am struggling to understand why you are worried?

Unless you were either:

1) Stopped by the police at the time and given a verbal NIP
2) Been caught by a speed camera/van when you were speeding
3) Caused an uncoming vehicle to slam their brakes on, take avoiding action, went on the wrong side of the island

There is no problem to worry about?

But you only know what happened and why you might be under the assumption that you have done something wrong!

As said, if you are the registered keeper of your car, and your name and address are all correct and up to date on your V5C ( car logbook), then the police have 14 days to initiate any proceedings against you, unless you were stopped on the scene, which case it is considered as a verbal NIP and they would have told you what they were going to do.

Dillm2
I am sorry but guess I am one of those people who worry about anything and everything
Thanks for listening
thisisntme
I suspect the only thing you have caused to happen is for the instructor to say to his/her pupil: "Would you undertake an overtaking manoeuvre on a car doing 27 in a 30mph speed limit? What are the risks involved?"
paulajayne
30 MPH is not a target, it is a limit.
AntonyMMM
QUOTE (thisisntme @ Tue, 17 Nov 2015 - 09:58) *
I suspect the only thing you have caused to happen is for the instructor to say to his/her pupil: "Would you undertake an overtaking manoeuvre on a car doing 27 in a 30mph speed limit? What are the risks involved?"

And whilst blinded by the sun apparently ...
Dillm2
I had not made it clear although I was overtaking the car , I had moved nto the correct lane and travelling at the speed limit for a right turn ahead but since I last used the road the council had put in traffic calming measures I have been back up the road and there is no warnings until you go round the bend prior to the lane merge sign on the road which is well worn
Just glad it did not turn out worse
The Rookie
Live, learn, improve, the possibility of some action is tiny, probably less than 0.1% (based on what you have told us), so get learn from your mistake and move on with life!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.