Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DVLA Fine
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Hassan2015
Hello

Apologies if this is the wrong place, so please do move it to where it is necessary.

We received a fine letter from DVLA 3 days ago, £80 for non tax payment and reduced to £40 if paid within 28 days.

Never got any reminders from them. The tax had run out on 1st September and we didn't realise. Without the paper tax it is not easy to check and ...

When it was paper disc, you would know all the time, but with the new system, as said you don't normally know.

We only bought the car in April and although I thought it was taxed for 12 months, obviously we only taxed it for 6 months.

Rang DVLA as I was a bit worried with the mrs getting pulled over in the car and getting her car confiscated when she was out with the kids.

The chap on the phone told me that a reminder did go out, but he couldn't tell me when as accordnig to him, they send a bunch of reminders to royal mail and it is then Royal mail that sends them out when it is due!

So I paid for the 12 month tax over the phone and he asked me to write a letter to DVLA and let them know I never got the rmeinder and they might cancel the fine.

I don't think they would cancel it as more than likely they will come back to me and say it is my responsibility to make sure car is taxed all the time.

Any advice or help on this matter would be helpful.

Thanks
NewJudge
There's not really too much to give advice on. You forgot to tax the vehicle and were issued with a penalty as a result. The fact that you did not receive a reminder is scarcely relevant. You can only hope that the penalty is cancelled but I would be extremely surprised if it was as just about anybody who receives the same penalty can offer a similar explanation. If you depended on your tax disc to nudge you when to renew, how about sticking a piece of paper inside the car with "Tax expires end of November" (or whenever) written in big red letters. rolleyes.gif
StuartBu
QUOTE (NewJudge @ Mon, 2 Nov 2015 - 12:36) *
There's not really too much to give advice on. You forgot to tax the vehicle and were issued with a penalty as a result. The fact that you did not receive a reminder is scarcely relevant. You can only hope that the penalty is cancelled but I would be extremely surprised if it was as just about anybody who receives the same penalty can offer a similar explanation. If you depended on your tax disc to nudge you when to renew, how about sticking a piece of paper inside the car with "Tax expires end of November" (or whenever) written in big red letters. rolleyes.gif

Or pay for it by Direct Debit ( various options available )
Hassan2015
Well had the response form DVLA and they are not cancelling the fine! Never mind. Lesson learnt!

Incandescent
I have created my own DVLA look-alike tax disc, and whenever I tax one of my cars, update the disc to the new expiry date and put it in the tax disc holder on the car. So I have a visible reminder on my car all the time.
glasgow_bhoy
The garage I use has a wee card inside the windscreen which tells you your MOT and Tax expiry dates, along with next service date/mileage. Extremely handy to have!
StuartBu
QUOTE (Incandescent @ Sat, 14 Nov 2015 - 10:44) *
I have created my own DVLA look-alike tax disc, and whenever I tax one of my cars, update the disc to the new expiry date and put it in the tax disc holder on the car. So I have a visible reminder on my car all the time.

Facing which way and which end of the windscreen..after all it is for your benefit not anyone else.. No need for it to look like a Tax Disc ...Its a lot easier paying by D/D or you could set a reminder on your mobile 'phone if you have one
Hassan2015
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Sun, 15 Nov 2015 - 03:58) *
QUOTE (Incandescent @ Sat, 14 Nov 2015 - 10:44) *

Facing which way and which end of the windscreen..after all it is for your benefit not anyone else.. No need for it to look like a Tax Disc ...Its a lot easier paying by D/D or you could set a reminder on your mobile 'phone if you have one

Problem with mobile phone is that more than likely you change your phone and forget to transfer the dates and you are back to square one.

Had one of those stickers from a garage, but the constant sun in the summer has washed the ink off and you can't see anything.

Might have to go down the DD route. I have paid for the next 12months now, so will look into paying monthly maybe from next year, depending on the cost difference for paying monthly vs DD

Unzippy
QUOTE (Hassan2015 @ Sun, 15 Nov 2015 - 10:36) *
Problem with mobile phone is that more than likely you change your phone and forget to transfer the dates and you are back to square one.

rolleyes.gif

Android - google calendar
Apple - apple calendar.

Doesn't matter what you do with the phone, the info is always backed up ready to sync with another phone...
Monster 900
QUOTE (Unzippy @ Sun, 15 Nov 2015 - 12:10) *
QUOTE (Hassan2015 @ Sun, 15 Nov 2015 - 10:36) *

rolleyes.gif

Android - google calendar
Apple - apple calendar.

Doesn't matter what you do with the phone, the info is always backed up ready to sync with another phone...

Indeed.

Reading this thread this morning finally galvanised me into action. Road tax, MOT and insurance renewal dates, for all four vehicles, now in Google Calendar with annual repeats, forever.

So some good has come from the OP's misfortune.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.