Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disabled Parking Signs
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
tommy2009
Hi!
I think I'm in the right place.

Took my Dad to the local hospital yesterday for an x-ray.
We are both disabled.
The hospital has an area purely for disabled drivers, which we parked in, displaying my badge. I then realised it was a pay and display.
The two photos I've included are the only type of signs. One at each bay and the other at the machine.
Charges are £2 first hour, £2.80 for more than an hour.

My queries are -

Given they are members of BPA, they can't ticket disabled drivers. Or does that just apply in free car parks?

To read their T&C's you have to request a copy from the car park office, wherever that is. Shouldn't they be displayed on the signs?

I toyed with the idea of not paying, but felt it wise to ask here first.

Thanks.

Tom
Jlc
Hit the '! Report' button - this thread needs to be moved to the private parking forum.

The BPA CoP says:

27.5 If your landowner provides a concession that allows parking for disabled people, if a vehicle displays a valid Blue Badge, you must not issue it with parking charge notices.

There's no concession as everyone has to pay (which is not discrimination).

If you are or know the registered keeper then wait for the Notice to Keeper. A depersonalised scan of the PCN you have received would be handy.

Not the best signs - but one point to note is that 'lost tickets' are charged at daily rate, that's not £50... The amount requested is extravagant to me.
albert2008
QUOTE (Jlc @ Wed, 28 Oct 2015 - 17:09) *
If you are or know the registered keeper then wait for the Notice to Keeper. A depersonalised scan of the PCN you have received would be handy.

He toyed with the idea of not paying, but felt it wise to ask here first.
tommy2009
As Albert said, I did buy a ticket and didn't receive a PCN.
I put it in this section because it wasn't about a ticket I'd received, but it seemed to fit the 'Technical Discussions' heading.

I fully respect whatever you say, JLC, having read much of your advice over the years.
But, it confuses me.
You quote from the BPA about not ticketing disabled badge holders, but say it's not discrimination because everyone pays.
My question and point was, if they ticket a disabled driver for not paying whilst displaying a badge, is the PCN invalid because of the BPA rule.

And, by not displaying their T&C's on the signs, doesn't that make it impossible to form a contract without finding a 'car park office' and asking for a copy of the T&C's?
Whilst you were trying to find this office and then reading the T&C's, and in the fullness of time returning to your car after deciding not to park because you didn't like the T&C's, you find a ticket issued, would it be payable?
If it's an office, I'd imagine they work office hours, so what if you park outside office hours and can't obtain a copy of the T&C's.

This is purely a hypothetical case, asked in the Technical discussion forum, simply out of interest.
I realise there are many many reasons why a PCN shouldn't be paid, as the other forum clearly shows.
I just wondered about these two basic points, that's all.

Thanks.

Tom.
kommando
There was no concession for disabled not to have to pay for parking, they provide paid disabled places hopefully so you have less distance to walk (assuming they are in the right place), so you could get a ticket for not paying despite having the disabled badge. In this case the badge only allows you to use the place not to free parking or overstaying.
axeman
Lost tickets charged full days rate, you say £2 for 1 hour £2.80p for more, is £2.80p the full day rate? if so that's the hypothetical maximum.

I was in a rush and parked at Manchester Airports short stay car park but the business trip lasted 5 days longer than planned so on return my fee should have been £130 but a lost ticket was £70, saved £60 !!
Jlc
QUOTE (tommy2009 @ Wed, 28 Oct 2015 - 20:00) *
This is purely a hypothetical case, asked in the Technical discussion forum, simply out of interest.
I realise there are many many reasons why a PCN shouldn't be paid, as the other forum clearly shows.
I just wondered about these two basic points, that's all.

Aha, then to the flame pit...

As already noted, they should make 'reasonable adjustments' for disabled bays such as being closer to the entrance, wider bays etc. Being disabled doesn't necessarily dispose of the need to pay a tariff.

The signs must convey sufficient information for the contract to be formed by conduct, i.e. parking. If more of the T&C's are elsewhere then the contract cannot commence until these conditions are understood or the driver leaves and decides not to accept the contract. (Of course, there's the discussion about whether there's a contract at all and a licence instead)
The Rookie
Failure to comply with terms and you agree to pay - how does that work then? Idiots......

Nothing on the sign says if you don't pay and display you are doing anything wrong anyway....you can't consent to the terms and conditions if they aren't there for you to read!

I bet their contract with the hospital doesn't allow them to sell parking spaces at £50 each, with no time limit on how long you can then use it for!

No address for the company who claim you are making a contract with them, and no Co number on the one sign either, plus the company name (598379) is for "Cofely workplace ltd" not Cofely gdfsuez so misrepresenting who they are. The BPA approved operator is 'Cofely' so neither of those entities is a member anyway and shouldn't be accessing the DVLA database.

Not that you can tell they are new to this! In fact the word parking only appears once on their entire website. http://www.cofely-gdfsuez.co.uk/solutions/...ies-management/

Anyone in Mid Yorkshire want to teach them some lessons at £27 (or whatever it is now) a time?
tommy2009
Thanks to all for the insight.
I especially love it when The Rookie goes on a rant.
Thanks for taking the time to delve a little deeper.
I asked the questions because I thought the signage was wrong, but didn't know for sure.
I do now.

I could have been the one putting them to the test a while back.
2 years ago I ended up in A&E there on xmas day for 4 hours.
Cold xmas dinner to go back to.
The car park is right outside A&E.
I just saw all the big disabled signs and parked with my badge.
Had enough on my mind without thinking it was pay and display.
They obviously don't work xmas day because I didn't get a ticket.
However, I wonder how many more in my position have been issued tickets?

I do try to spread the word though.
A guy was buying a ticket as I took the photos.
I told him I was sending them to Pepipoo, and he should never pay a PCN without seeing you guys first.
Something I make a point of telling people if I'm at the ticket machine with them.

Thanks again to all for your continuing time and trouble.

Tom
The Rookie
Just a quick update, I have finally (only took 4 goes) got an answer from the BPA, the 'Cofely' member is listed as "Cofely GDFSuez trading as Cofely workplace limited", I don't know much about company law, but CwpLtd is a listed company, Cofely GDFSuez isn't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.