Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Variable Speeding Fine
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
zee aze
Hi Guys,

My cousin got a speeding fine and was wondering if there is any advice or appealing it.

Basically there was an accident on the day and at various stages of the motorway there were various speed limits showing - it was difficult for him to ascertain at which stage one speed limit expired and which speed limit was applicable.

He set his cruise control at 70mph thinking there were no limits applicable and got clocked at 71mph.

He also managed to email the camera control board and below was the response.
-------------

Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Thank you for your enquiry to CCC (HAIL) as below which has been forwarded to me.

Having investigated this enquiry, from the data available to me I can advise at the above location, date and time a mandatory speed limit of 50mph was set automatically due to traffic congestion ahead from approx. 09:16 at G5277B, approx 09:23 at G5271B and approx. 09:42 at G5265B until after the time that you passed through this section. These details are provided for information only, in response to your enquiry, as the speed limit applicable to any speeding offenses can only be confirmed from the information held by the Police.

There are several reasons why signals may be set and the variable mandatory speed limits are applied to protect drivers travelling behind from suddenly encountering slow or stationary traffic. The speed limits are applied to smooth the traffic flow and avoid drivers having to brake sharply at the back of a queue. By lowering the speed limit in advance of a queue it is quite possible for it to have dissipated by the time drivers reach the location of the original queue.

Road safety of the travelling public is of upmost importance to us. Drivers have a responsibility to keep to the speed displayed, and enforcement is one of a number of measures which are used to encourage compliance with the displayed speed limits. Variable speed enforcement cameras are installed as part of every smart motorway scheme and are operated by the police. Any speeding offence queries should therefore be raised with the issuing police force.

Regards
John Craigen | M25 DBFO Asset Manager & SE Regional Enforcement Coordinator
Highways England | Bridge House | 1 Walnut Tree Close | Guildford | GU1 4LZ
Tel: +44 (0) 300 470 1075
Web: http://www.highways.gov.uk
Email address: john.craigen@highwaysengland.co.uk

-----------------

Below is the copy of the Speeding fine.

ford poplar
There is nothing to appeal/contest - yet, but he needs to complete s172 and confirm name & address of vehicle's driver(s) at time of offence, even if nowhere near M25, and ensure it is received by the Camera & Ticket Office of Bedfordshire Police within 28 days (deadline Mon 26 Oct) so complete & return by First Class Mail no later than Wed 21 Oct and get free Cert of Posting from PO counter.
Likely outcome - COFP for excess speed.
Failure to return s172 in time - £650 fine + 6 points and MS90 endorsement on Licence.
peterguk
QUOTE (zee aze @ Tue, 20 Oct 2015 - 02:34) *
it was difficult for him to ascertain at which stage one speed limit expired and which speed limit was applicable.

No different to non-motorways.

A speed limit changes when a new one (or NSL sign) is displayed.
Logician

Basically there was an accident on the day and at various stages of the motorway there were various speed limits showing - it was difficult for him to ascertain at which stage one speed limit expired and which speed limit was applicable.

It should be extremely easy on a managed motorway like this section of the M25, there are overhead gantries displaying the limit in force, and there is an allowance to allow for adjustment when the limit changes. Cruise control is useful there, but you do have to be alert and prepared to brake when you encounter a lower limit. Your cousin will just have to accept that he got it wrong, return the form and then accept the fixed penalty when it is offered. The only appeal possible is to reject the fixed penalty and opt for court, which would be a foolish thing to do as he apparently has no defence and the penalties in court would be very much higher.
bama
it was difficult for him to ascertain at which stage one speed limit expired and which speed limit was applicable.

and if he used that in court (or at the roadside after a stop) he would probably 'get extra'. that arg wouldn't be a mere foot wound, it would blow both feet clean off !
zee aze
Right i see

What I can’t understand is if he was was on cruise control at 71mph why didn’t the other cameras mentioned in their letter pick him up?
Jlc
QUOTE (zee aze @ Tue, 20 Oct 2015 - 14:12) *
What I can’t understand is if he was was on cruise control at 71mph why didn’t the other cameras mentioned in their letter pick him up?

I believe it's HADECS3 there - either he only passed one camera or they have treated it as one continuous offence. Not be caught elsewhere wouldn't be a defence for be caught.
Logician
QUOTE (zee aze @ Tue, 20 Oct 2015 - 14:12) *
Right i see What I can’t understand is if he was was on cruise control at 71mph why didn’t the other cameras mentioned in their letter pick him up?

I suggest those are gantry numbers, and the information given is when they started to display a 50mph limit. It does not follow that those gantries had active cameras mounted on them, or that your cousin passed them when they had those limits. Another possibility which is just speculation is that a single journey is recognised on a managed motorway and only one NIP issued in respect of it, even though more than one camera is triggered.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.