Full Version: [NIP Wizard] NIP issued foreign non EU national driving
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
chris1312
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - July 2015
Date of the NIP: - 13 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 14 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - a412 scotts hill copthorne road croxley green rickmansworth herts
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I was not driving. Car loaned to friend from South Africa. It was insured as I added him to my policy for the duration of his visit.
I sent NIP back with his details in South Africa as this is only an extended holiday visit so no permanent UK address. I have now received a letter asking for his dates of arrival and departure, his relationship to me and my driving licence number and a copy of the insurance certificate. I do not understand why they need my licence number...letter states further enquiries may absolve me from responsibility. I am quite worried by this as I/ wasnt driving have given them the persons address I dont see how I can be responsible.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - No
Do you know who was driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the Section 172 statement naming the person you believe was driving.
    You aren't incriminating them - they'll receive a NIP to complete themselves in due course.

(You might also like to let that person know that they can expect to receive one, and give them the link to this Wizard for when it arrives!)

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:56:03 +0000
Logician
The reason for this is because certain people thought it a wizard idea when caught speeding to invent a foreign visitor who drove the car and has now returned home. This couple were a case in point. The police are wise to this and will often ask for travel details and proof of insurance of the visitor. If that cannot be provided, they have the opportunity of charging the offence of permitting driving with no insurance, which carries the same penalties as no insurance. Some people think their overseas visitor's own insurance will cover them, but it won't for a UK registered car. You did exactly the right thing in adding your friend to your own policy, and you should have nothing to worry about once you provide the information.
Hellfire8
I must say, you did the right thing, as Logician said most people don't but you did the right thing added to him.

Supply the information and you should be okay smile.gif
chris1312
QUOTE (chris1312 @ Tue, 18 Aug 2015 - 15:56) *
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - July 2015
Date of the NIP: - 13 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 14 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - a412 scotts hill copthorne road croxley green rickmansworth herts
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I was not driving. Car loaned to friend from South Africa. It was insured as I added him to my policy for the duration of his visit.
I sent NIP back with his details in South Africa as this is only an extended holiday visit so no permanent UK address. I have now received a letter asking for his dates of arrival and departure, his relationship to me and my driving licence number and a copy of the insurance certificate. I do not understand why they need my licence number...letter states further enquiries may absolve me from responsibility. I am quite worried by this as I/ wasnt driving have given them the persons address I dont see how I can be responsible.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - No
Do you know who was driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the Section 172 statement naming the person you believe was driving.
    You aren't incriminating them - they'll receive a NIP to complete themselves in due course.

(You might also like to let that person know that they can expect to receive one, and give them the link to this Wizard for when it arrives!)

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:56:03 +0000

Further to the above I filed in the form I was sent following the return of the NIP and enclosed a copy of the insurance. Today I received a letter asking me to reconsider as the police believe they can prove he has an address in the UK and a UK licence.
He did live in the UK for a period of about 5 yrs returning to South Africa in 2005 and he surrendered his UK licence in South Africa at some point after his return.
The letter has another attached information part of the NIP form and they remind me that giving false information is an imprisonable offence.
Any help or suggestions would be most welcome
Logician
You reply that to the best of your knowledge he used to have a UK address which he gave up 10 years ago when he returned to South Africa in 2005, and if he has any current UK address you have no knowledge of it. He has told you he has surrendered his UK licence. If true you could add that all your dealings with him have been at a South African address which to the best of your knowledge and belief is his only address.

Probably they have found his old UK address and UK licence and have got very excited thinking they are on to something. It is sometimes difficult to persuade people they are on a false trail but you will have to persist. On the other hand if there is anything dubious going on, now is the time to come clean before it escalates. This is not say I think there is, what you have written is completely credible.
chris1312
Thank You for your advice.
I am beginning to wish I had never offered to help in the first place. He has since got another fine for doing 38 in a 30, so I guess I will have to go through this again. Both of the cameras on which he was caught are in places where it would be reasonable to think you were in a 40mph limit, so I understand how easy it was, nonetheless it is something I could do without.
Gan
Even in Plodland, do they seriously believe that people provide South African addresses for UK residents when they arrange temporary insurance ?
The Rookie
Hardly his fault the Police are suspicious, hardly their fault either when history suggests they are right to be suspicious, a simple truthful letter is all that is needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.