Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 37 in a 30
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
juliasdream
hi.
I just received a NIP
I am aware of the exact circumstances of this incident
I was following a car and a van towing a caravan
The road opened out to becoming a dual carriageway and I passed the car and having seen a vehicle parked further on (not actually aware it was a police camera car) I slowed up behind the van with the caravan knowing he'd need to pull out into my lane
I must have reached 37mph momentarily to that point while passing the car
I would have been driving much less than 37mph as I passed the camera car
Only afterwards I'd noticed it was a camera car.
The speed limit changes between 30 and 40 at different sections of that road and I wasn't absolutely sure which limit I was in. I know now that I was one mile into the 30mph limit even though it was a dual carriageway.
Personally I think there should be a reminder of the limit being it was a DC

My thoughts are that if I ask for evidence I am only prolonging the obvious result causing myself more harm than good
I would prefer a speed awareness course to having points

My last conviction wasn't for speeding. It was a NI10 driving for business without business cover
That conviction was spent over a year ago. I did get caught speeding once before but about 15 years ago
i'm wondering if I would be legible for a drivers awareness course instead of points and what is the best way of achieving that result
I'm a 67 yo pensioner on very low income
justforthepictures
QUOTE (juliasdream @ Wed, 5 Aug 2015 - 14:44) *
hi.
I just received a NIP
I am aware of the exact circumstances of this incident
I was following a car and a van towing a caravan
The road opened out to becoming a dual carriageway and I passed the car and having seen a vehicle parked further on (not actually aware it was a police camera car) I slowed up behind the van with the caravan knowing he'd need to pull out into my lane
I must have reached 37mph momentarily to that point while passing the car
I would have been driving much less than 37mph as I passed the camera car
Only afterwards I'd noticed it was a camera car.
The speed limit changes between 30 and 40 at different sections of that road and I wasn't absolutely sure which limit I was in. I know now that I was one mile into the 30mph limit even though it was a dual carriageway.
Personally I think there should be a reminder of the limit being it was a DC

My thoughts are that if I ask for evidence I am only prolonging the obvious result causing myself more harm than good
I would prefer a speed awareness course to having points

My last conviction wasn't for speeding. It was a NI10 driving for business without business cover
That conviction was spent over a year ago. I did get caught speeding once before but about 15 years ago
i'm wondering if I would be legible for a drivers awareness course instead of points and what is the best way of achieving that result
I'm a 67 yo pensioner on very low income

If the 30mph road you were detected on has a system of streetlights, there cannot legally be any reminders in the form of additional signage such as repeaters.

You should be offered a course in place of points/fine at 37mph (assuming the constabulary in question offers this option).

Unless you plan to contest the allegation, then yes, you would be prolonging the inevitable, even potentially jeopardising a course offer if you start putting obstacles in the way.
juliasdream
QUOTE (justforthepictures @ Wed, 5 Aug 2015 - 14:50) *
If the 30mph road you were detected on has a system of streetlights, there cannot legally be any reminders in the form of additional signage such as repeaters.

You should be offered a course in place of points/fine at 37mph (assuming the constabulary in question offers this option).

Unless you plan to contest the allegation, then yes, you would be prolonging the inevitable, even potentially jeopardising a course offer if you start putting obstacles in the way.

Thanks for the reply
It is mentioned that an awareness course is possible if they decide to offer it
I'm wondering under what circumstances the offer it who when they dont.
I'm kind of tempted to add a letter to say that I'm normally a very careful driver who respects the rules of the road and don't make a habit of speeding like that. That I feel an awareness course may be beneficial to me
It is quite true that I'm not a habitual speeder
What do you think?
Spenny
QUOTE (juliasdream @ Wed, 5 Aug 2015 - 15:40) *
QUOTE (justforthepictures @ Wed, 5 Aug 2015 - 14:50) *

Thanks for the reply
It is mentioned that an awareness course is possible if they decide to offer it
I'm wondering under what circumstances the offer it who when they dont.
I'm kind of tempted to add a letter to say that I'm normally a very careful driver who respects the rules of the road and don't make a habit of speeding like that. That I feel an awareness course may be beneficial to me
It is quite true that I'm not a habitual speeder
What do you think?

The processing of tickets is essentially an administrative tick box and the offering of a course is based on speed and prior driving record according to the force's policy. There is no reason to think you would not be offered a course if you fit the profile (which it sounds as if you do).

They cannot tell the difference between a self-proclaimed careful driver and a lucky lunatic so it really is not a lot of point concerning yourself. There are also plenty of drivers who are under the illusion that they are driving appropriately when they do not, so you might understand that a "self-serving" letter will carry no weight.
Jlc
It's offered on the speed and whether you've attended one within the last 3 years. There's no reason why you shouldn't qualify - adding a note will make no difference.
The Rookie
You will be offered a course.

The only time they won't offer it (if you are in the correct speed range) is if they have a record of you having done one in the last 3 years or in your replies you make it clear you don't accept guilt (you don't have to accept guilt to go on the course, but successful completion requires you don't challenge it!).

A letter is a waste of a piece of paper, no one says they are anything but normally careful!

What do I think, fill in the form and send it back, nothing more, nothing less.

Most people caught speeding ARE habitual speeders, whether they know and accept it or not, read your first post and it implies you do habitually speed, just not knowingly or deliberately (which seems the criteria many people use rather than the legal position), if you accept that and learn from it then it makes getting caught again much less likely!
Bibble
QUOTE (Spenny @ Wed, 5 Aug 2015 - 15:50) *
a course is based on speed and prior driving record according to the force's policy.

Is this 'prior driving record' just the 3 previous years before the current NIP (not having done a SAC in the last 3 years) or can they (any force) take into consideration previous SAC's completed more than 3 years previous?

Can they look further back than 3 years at their discretion ?
Logician
QUOTE (Bibble @ Wed, 5 Aug 2015 - 19:14) *
QUOTE (Spenny @ Wed, 5 Aug 2015 - 15:50) *
a course is based on speed and prior driving record according to the force's policy.
Is this 'prior driving record' just the 3 previous years before the current NIP (not having done a SAC in the last 3 years) or can they (any force) take into consideration previous SAC's completed more than 3 years previous? Can they look further back than 3 years at their discretion ?

They can, because it is all at their discretion and extra-statutory, but they do not, because they are all part of the national scheme in which the sole criteria are the speed and not having committed an offence in the previous 3 years for which a course was done.

The Rookie
The ONLY criteria are whether the speed is in the range and whether you have done a course in the last three years apart from being obviously obstructive NOTHING else is currently considered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.