Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Eye
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
Lindylou
I wonder if you could give me some advice please. I have got a ticket from Parking Eye for not having a ticket on my car on 1st April. I was called for a routine check up at the hospital
but I didn't realise hat the previous rule of the first half hour free had be abolished so I admit I didn't buy a ticket.
However, since then I am living in Greece for at least the whole of the summer, possible longer. In mid June a relative forwarded the post to me (this is the letters that I had not already
informed the change of address) and this included letters from Parking eye getting more and more aggressive.
As per advice online I ignored them until I received a claim form from County Court Northampton. I emailed them giving them the reference number and asking if it was genuine.
They confirmed it was.

I read some of the advice on this forum and decided to offer to pay the reduced original fine of £40 (stating that I wasn't sure who was driving but that I am the owner of the car.)
I also pointed out that the letter asks that any monies due should be paid direct to Parking Eye and therefore the court costs should not apply as it was only an application to the court
(am I right?)
After a few days I received an email stating that they would not accept my offer and that I now owe £170.00.

I have a few questions
1. Do I still ignore this or should I take some kind of action. If so what
2. If I am living in Greece can they still enforce a fine.

I would appreciate some advice on this as I am beginning to get a little worried.

Thank you

Mrs Linda Leith
The Slithy Tove
When you contacted PE, did you give them your Greek address? If not, then do so. Say that you are the driver and this is now your address, and all further correspondence should be sent to that address. Don't worry that you won't be there for ever. As far as PE are concerned, you are, and that's the end of it.
Hellfire8
QUOTE (The Slithy Tove @ Wed, 29 Jul 2015 - 15:23) *
When you contacted PE, did you give them your Greek address? If not, then do so. Say that you are the driver and this is now your address, and all further correspondence should be sent to that address. Don't worry that you won't be there for ever. As far as PE are concerned, you are, and that's the end of it.

Won't be the end of it if there is an active court case going on as the OP will still receive a DJ against him.
emanresu
@LindyLou

You might also consider having your post redirected to you in Greece. See Poste Restante http://www.postoffice.co.uk/poste-restante

ParkingEye's system is automatic from the ticket issue all the way through to the issue of a court claim. Unless a human at PE changes something (are they human there?), you may come back to a default CCJ. So either get your post redirected or someone look at it for you.

At the same time contact the hospital (PALS service) and get them to cancel as a genuine patient. They cancel a lot of tickets where the patient can show that they were - a patient.
wedged
QUOTE (emanresu @ Thu, 30 Jul 2015 - 05:55) *
ParkingEye's system is automatic from the ticket issue all the way through to the issue of a court claim.

Doesn't Rosanna Breaks (their solicitor) personally sign each MCOL application though?

LindyLou - did she sign yours?
Lindylou
Yes the name on the Court Claim form is Rosanna Breaks, not signed but printed.
emanresu
At the same time contact the hospital (PALS service) and get them to cancel as a genuine patient.

Have you contacted them and what did they say?
Lindylou
Yes I emailed them and offered to pay the original fine after explaining the situation but they replies saying that I now owe £170.00
emanresu
Yes I emailed them and offered to pay the original fine after explaining the situation but they replies saying that I now owe £170.00

This is not a normal reply from a NHS Trust. Who within the Trust did you contact and which Trust was it?
Lindylou
I spoke to a lady at Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership Trust who said she couldn't help as I was not a member of staff
Gan
You wanted PALS (Patient Advice Liaison Service)
emanresu
I spoke to a lady at Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership Trust who said she couldn't help as I was not a member of staff

You have one of the rare cases where the Trust are not the owners of the car park - or even the site. Its a PFI site and there will be a PFI company somewhere that hired PE.

It sounds as if you may have had a ParkingEye holiday "special". They love to issue claims in holiday periods as most people miss the 14 days deadline to
challenge.

What is the title of the form or letter sent
hoohoo
As you are currently living in Greece I would be tempted o file a simple defence stating the address is no longer valid, you now live in greece (give address) and therefore you are out of jurisdiction of the courts.

Only do this if you currently have no ties to the uk (eg a job, or a hourse you own or rent.)

Whatever, you must acknowledge the claim and file a defence within strict timescales. You may have already run out of time. If so, get in a defence tonight if at all possible.
If the above does not apply, defend the claim on the basis that
1) The signage did not form a contract
2) The signage does not obey consumer legislation
3) The charge is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss and is not saved as a deterrent because it does not follow the guidelines established by the court of appeal in ParkingEye v Beavis
4) There is no authority from the landowner to issue charges
5) The protection of freedoms act does not apply so there is no keeper liability

This should give you enough points.

In any case, give them your address in Greece

Lindylou
Thank you. I do still own a house in UK but I shall give them my Greek address and see how it goes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.