Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

ParkingEye Parking charge notice in service station
alpacamad
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 19:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,471

Advice please.

I have received a PCN from ParkingEye for exceeding the 2 hour free parking allowance. It has 2 photos of the car on entry and exit to the car park. It is for £100 reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days.

The driver did not see any signs on entering the car park or ticket machines etc as they had no idea it would be a car park that needed a ticket purchased. The driver was in a hurry to meet people and on slowing down from the motorway they completely missed any signs, and it looked like a free carpark.

There was no knowledge that the car park required a paid ticket after 2 hours and the driver would gladly have purchased one. The website states that the cost of parking after 2 hours is £10, and would be happy to pay this to the landowner. From the research on the forum threads, can I consider the PCN excessive for the landowner to compensate for their lost revenue?

Should I appeal and then ignore as suggested in other threads? Do you have a template letter for an appeal or advise on what points to appeal under?

Many thanks

This post has been edited by alpacamad: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 23:48
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Advertisement
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 19:56
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
matt285
post Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 20:53
Post #2

Group: Closed
Member No.: 58,914

QUOTE (alpacamad @ Mon, 4 Nov 2013 - 19:56) *
Should I appeal and then ignore as suggested in other threads? Do you have a template letter for an appeal or advise on what points to appeal under?

First of all change your initial post and remove any comments on who the driver might have been.

Appeal to ParkingEye on the basis that the driver (third person!) did not see any signs and was unaware that parking had to be paid for, and that the charge claimed is an excessive penalty since the genuine loss of the landowner would (on the understanding of the landowner's website) have been £10, thus ParkingEye claim 10 times as much.

Should they not uphold this appeal they will be expected to provide a POPLA code so you (as the Keeper) can take them to POPLA where they lose all the time if you use the right choice of appeal (lots of templates float around here, just pick one and adjust it to suit your circumstances).

Make sure you get (free) Certificates of Posting when sending letters to ParkingEye since they have a tendency to lose letters and then claim you didn't send them.

Do not ignore them, they currently issue a lot of court claims.

Come back with your draft before you send it off if you wish to get feedback.

+Quote Post
alpacamad
post Tue, 5 Nov 2013 - 00:05
Post #3

Many thanks for the initial advice. I am concerned about posting a draft, as one thread on MSE said the PPC's follow these and can identify appealants? Should the first letter to Parking eye also ask for evidence of their contracts with the landowner and/or get into specifics about dept of transport etc?

+Quote Post
matt285
post Tue, 5 Nov 2013 - 09:00
Post #4

Group: Closed
Member No.: 58,914

QUOTE (alpacamad @ Tue, 5 Nov 2013 - 00:05) *
Many thanks for the initial advice. I am concerned about posting a draft, as one thread on MSE said the PPC's follow these and can identify appealants? Should the first letter to Parking eye also ask for evidence of their contracts with the landowner and/or get into specifics about dept of transport etc?

If you prefer you can PM me for feedback. But to be honest it doesn't much matter what you put into your initial appeal as long as

a) you don't identify the driver
b) you put at least one reasonable point of appeal in

So if you want then you can also ask for the contract - they will never send it to you though wink.gif

They will refuse your appeal in any case but all you need is the POPLA code to kill them there.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
alpacamad
post Tue, 5 Nov 2013 - 12:16
Post #5

Goodresult!!!

Thank you for the advice again. I was not looking forward to the process of defending this, but found the forum and your advice very reassuring.

However, I am pleased to let you know that I telephoned the Landowner (Welcome Break) about this and told them honestly about the incident, and the manager has just got back to me to say they have cancelled the parking notice and taken me off the list. Parking eye have been told not to proceed and it will not get followed up, and I can use his name in the future if I have problems!

As I mentioned there was a party of 5 people, 3 of which were local, maybe they weighed up the pros and cons of alienating customers and losing future income from us, but he conceded that although there apparently are signs on the lamp posts, you have to be quite close to see them.

Its good to know you are all there for all those others being harassed in the same way.
Many thanks

This post has been edited by alpacamad: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 - 14:10

+Quote Post
SchoolRunMum
post Wed, 6 Nov 2013 - 01:31
Post #6

Member No.: 32,130

That's fantastic news!

I will add it to the various 'successful complaints' I have collated about Welcome Break and PE here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4766249

Yours is #7 of the Welcome Break cancellations in recent weeks, linked there for newbies to learn from and follow your lead.

+Quote Post
emanresu
post Wed, 6 Nov 2013 - 07:03
Post #7

Member No.: 13,324

I think it may be worthwhile when phoning the likes of Welcome Break in the future that the company brought in to "manage" is now causing Welcome Break to spend more time managing ParkingEye - at a cost to them and their reputation,

Perhaps we can bid for the managing ParkingEye contract.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 12:47
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here