PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Cancelled speed aweness course by organiser, now conditional offer
deanoinmorley
post Mon, 27 May 2013 - 22:59
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 62,202

I got caught by a speed camera and was offered a speed awerness course. I booked and paid for a course date and with less then 24hrs notice the organiser left me a voice mail to say it was cancelled due to bad weather and another date would be organised. A couple of weeks later the next thing I recieved was a conditional offer. I called the number on the paperwork and the OB said I should of been told when there cancelled I only have 7 days to get booked in for another date but even he said there not telling people and although I'd booked time for work and paid for a course I had to pay the £60 fixed penalty and take the 3 points. Since then I lost the conditional at work and now have a court summons. My argument is that the organiser should of given me a date for another course when there cancelled, or at least called me back before the 7 day deadline with another date. I'd done my side of the deal. Whats my next step? Could I win in court?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Mon, 27 May 2013 - 22:59
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Logician
post Mon, 27 May 2013 - 23:23
Post #2

Member No.: 36,528

No. There is no right to do a course, it is at the discretion of the police. You may be able to persuade the court to give you the equivalent sentence as the fixed penalty offer that you lost, but don't count on it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Mon, 27 May 2013 - 23:29
Post #3

Member No.: 18,483

Depends. If the police promised not to prosecute you if you did the course, they may be able to be held to that promise. What were the terms of the offer? Did you just have to book or actually attend? I'm betting the latter.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
desktop_demon
post Tue, 28 May 2013 - 07:13
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 21,303

Hmmm. Very interesting. OP can you tell us more? Do you still have the course offer documents? I suppose not but the principle of "legitimate expectation" does need to be considered. Maybe the person running the course could be held liable for the extra costs incurred?.

--------------------
When your life finally flashes in front of you - let's hope there's something worth watching.

+Quote Post
bama
post Tue, 28 May 2013 - 08:39
Post #5

Member No.: 4,323

still got the voice mail ? ?
if so what ere the exact words ?

--------------------
Which facts in any situation or problem are “essential” and what makes them “essential”? If the “essential” facts are said to depend on the principles involved, then the whole business, all too obviously, goes right around in a circle. In the light of one principle or set of principles, one bunch of facts will be the “essential” ones; in the light of another principle or set of principles, a different bunch of facts will be “essential.” In order to settle on the right facts you first have to pick your principles, although the whole point of finding the facts was to indicate which principles apply.

Note that I am not legally qualified and any and all statements made are "Reserved". Liability for application lies with the reader.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Monday, 16th December 2019 - 13:58
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.