PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Disabled Bay not displaying valid disabled badge/permit - POPLA APPEAL ALLOWED!, Parking Control Management UK LTD, Meadowhall Shopping Centre
trubster
post Mon, 10 Dec 2012 - 03:59
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,078

So here we go, I got a ticket for being in a Disabled bay, I have not had time to renew my sons blue badge but the car has a DISABLED VED, I left a note on the windscreen saying "Disabled, see tax disc" but still got a ticket.

For the alleged "Breach of the terms and conditions signposted on the site" they want compensation of £95.00 (Inc VAT) or £57.00 (Inc VAT) within 14 days

They also refer to the invoice being a "Charge" which I am sure is against some ruling somewhere (Might be wrong - A charge of £95.00 is now due)

It waffles on about BPA and POPLA so my question is... keep schtum or appeal? I know the blue badge scheme is not valid in PPCs which is why I wasn't too fussed and left a note as it falls under the DDA and not the BBS.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

----------------
Edit 5/3/13

Popla's Decision

5 March 2013
Reference: ---------- always quote in any communication with POPLA
Trubster (Appellant) -v- Parking Control Management (UK) Ltd (Operator)
The Operator issued parking charge notice number PM------- arising out of the presence at Meadowhall Shopping Centre, Red Upper, on 9 December 2012, of a vehicle with registration mark ---- ---.
The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.
The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.
The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.
The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

---------- 2 5 March 2013
Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
At 14.59 on 9 December 2012, the Operator issued a parking charge notice because the vehicle with registration mark ---- --- was parked in a disabled bay but the Operator’s employee could not see a valid disabled badge on display. The employee then took a number of photographs of the vehicle, one of which shows the parking charge notice on the windscreen.
It is noted that on the copy of parking charge produced, it states that the full amount of the parking charge is £95, but that the reduced amount of £57 will be accepted if paid within 14 days. However on the back of the notice it states that £75 will be accepted if paid within 7 days. This is confusing for motorists and means that they will know not know how much to pay at what stage.
The Operator’s case is that the terms and conditions for parking are clearly displayed throughout the disabled parking areas and state that motorists parking in disabled bays must clearly display a disabled badge. Copies of the conditions have been produced. They also state that a failure to comply with the restrictions mean that a parking charge notice will be issued. The Appellant does not dispute this.
The Appellant made representations, stating that he has a disabled tax disc and he was with his disabled son. In addition the Appellant states that the Operator has no legal right to enforce parking charge notices issued on this land, and that the charge bears no relation to genuine loss to the Operator.
The Operator rejected the representations, as set out in the copy of the notice of rejection they sent, because no valid disabled badge was displayed on the windscreen.
The Operator submits that their authority to issue parking charge notices is not in question. In Paragraph 46 of the decision in VCS v HMRC it states:
VCS is permitted under the contract [with the landowner] to collect and retain all fees and charges from parking enforcement action
Membership of the Approved Operator Scheme does require the Operator to have clear authorisation from the landowner (if the Operator is not the landowner), to manage and enforce parking. This is set out in the BPA Code of Practice. Therefore the Operator is likely to have authority to issue parking charge notices.

---------- 3 5 March 2013
However, as the point was raised by the Appellant, then the Operator should address it by producing such evidence as they believe shows that they do have authority. The Operator states that they are not obliged to provide a copy of any authority but that if I wish to see it they will discuss the matter. However I may only make a decision on the basis of the evidence submitted to me and I am not permitted to enter into discussions with the parties. A copy of the contract has not been produced.
Having carefully considered all the evidence before me, I must find as a fact that, on this particular occasion, the Operator has not shown that they have authority to issue parking charge notices. As the Appellant submits that the Operator does not have authority, the burden of proof shifted to the Operator to prove that they do. The Operator has not discharged the burden. Further to this, the Operator has not clearly stated how much the Appellant should pay and when, whether £75 within 7 days, £57 within 14 days or £95 within 28 days.
Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.
Shona Watson
Assessor

This post has been edited by trubster: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 18:33

--------------------
ParkingEye Ltd
Roxburghe (UK) Limited
Imperial Civil Enforcement Solutions
Car Park Services Limited
Kernow Parking Solutions (KPS)
Smart Parking Limited also trading as Town & City Parking

Be careful what you say about your case, WE ARE BEING WATCHED!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Start new topic
Replies (100 - 119)
Advertisement
post Mon, 10 Dec 2012 - 03:59
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Basfordlad
post Tue, 26 Feb 2013 - 14:32
Post #101

Group: Closed
Member No.: 47,486

QUOTE (trubster @ Tue, 26 Feb 2013 - 14:14) *
Here we go, free for all to use biggrin.gif

(That fit the circumstances in the page)

QUOTE (Basfordlad @ Tue, 26 Feb 2013 - 14:03) *
Even the supposed date is tomoz it will proberly over run by a few weeks

Are they really that busy or are they just really slow?

Its just an estimated date.....

+Quote Post
minotaur
post Thu, 28 Feb 2013 - 16:20
Post #102

Member No.: 58,478

Of course, what you are really after is positive discrimination.

--------------------
Remove Residents' Parking Scheme: Nottinghamshire County Council 0 - Me (and others) 1
Parking Tickets: Nottinghamshire County Council 0 - Me 3
Parking Tickets: Civil Enforcement Ltd. 0 - Me 1

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Thu, 28 Feb 2013 - 16:25
Post #103

Member No.: 21,992

Two atoms in a pub. One says to the other "I think I've lost one of my electrons".

The second atom says "Are you sure?"

The first atom replies "Yes. I'm positive."

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
minotaur
post Thu, 28 Feb 2013 - 20:24
Post #104

Member No.: 58,478

QUOTE (ManxRed @ Thu, 28 Feb 2013 - 16:25) *
Two atoms in a pub. One says to the other "I think I've lost one of my electrons".

The second atom says "Are you sure?"

The first atom replies "Yes. I'm positive."

biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

also - SPILK

This post has been edited by minotaur: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 - 20:25

--------------------
Remove Residents' Parking Scheme: Nottinghamshire County Council 0 - Me (and others) 1
Parking Tickets: Nottinghamshire County Council 0 - Me 3
Parking Tickets: Civil Enforcement Ltd. 0 - Me 1

+Quote Post
trubster
post Sun, 3 Mar 2013 - 19:01
Post #105

Well I have had no reply from PCM, British Land, Smith whatever they are called that manage meadowhall, the investment bank (50% landowner) and a really sorry excuse for a reply from meadowhall.

Also POPLA have not given me a decision either.

Its time to "Up the ante"

Can someone help me with a MCOL Claim?

Thanks

--------------------
ParkingEye Ltd
Roxburghe (UK) Limited

+Quote Post
Basfordlad
post Sun, 3 Mar 2013 - 19:11
Post #106

Group: Closed
Member No.: 47,486

You wont be able to do a mcol for tht number of defendents ( I think) will need to be paper based

Send a pm to schoolrunmum to assist as this is her field

+Quote Post
SchoolRunMum
post Sun, 3 Mar 2013 - 23:13
Post #107

Member No.: 32,130

Got the pm, I can help with the detail of the breach of the Equality Act but have no expertise with filling in a County Court form. Wageslave or bargepole for that bit I think, and you'll need to get a paper form from your local County Court.

Another idea is to up the ante with a draft Court Claim - I think wageslave used one of those before (effectively a blank one filled out to show that you mean business). See what others add tomorrow.

This post has been edited by SchoolRunMum: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 - 23:14

+Quote Post
dawmdt
post Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 10:09
Post #108

Member No.: 26,079

QUOTE (SchoolRunMum @ Sun, 3 Mar 2013 - 23:13) *
Got the pm, I can help with the detail of the breach of the Equality Act but have no expertise with filling in a County Court form. Wageslave or bargepole for that bit I think, and you'll need to get a paper form from your local County Court.

Another idea is to up the ante with a draft Court Claim - I think wageslave used one of those before (effectively a blank one filled out to show that you mean business). See what others add tomorrow.

You can download the blank form from the internet:

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCT...rt_forms_id=338

--------------------
I am Not a Lawyer

+Quote Post
trubster
post Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 16:56
Post #109

QUOTE (dawmdt @ Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 10:09) *
QUOTE (SchoolRunMum @ Sun, 3 Mar 2013 - 23:13) *

You can download the blank form from the internet:

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCT...rt_forms_id=338

Its quite difficult to get 5 defendants on that one

--------------------
ParkingEye Ltd
Roxburghe (UK) Limited

+Quote Post
trubster
post Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 18:06
Post #110

Well Thank you Shona, I was hoping you could rule on the Disabled Badge and Equality Act, but either way Thank you for allowing my appeal

5 March 2013
Reference: ---------- always quote in any communication with POPLA
Trubster (Appellant) -v- Parking Control Management (UK) Ltd (Operator)
The Operator issued parking charge notice number PM------- arising out of the presence at Meadowhall Shopping Centre, Red Upper, on 9 December 2012, of a vehicle with registration mark ---- ---.
The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.
The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.
The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.
The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

---------- 2 5 March 2013
Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
At 14.59 on 9 December 2012, the Operator issued a parking charge notice because the vehicle with registration mark ---- --- was parked in a disabled bay but the Operator’s employee could not see a valid disabled badge on display. The employee then took a number of photographs of the vehicle, one of which shows the parking charge notice on the windscreen.
It is noted that on the copy of parking charge produced, it states that the full amount of the parking charge is £95, but that the reduced amount of £57 will be accepted if paid within 14 days. However on the back of the notice it states that £75 will be accepted if paid within 7 days. This is confusing for motorists and means that they will know not know how much to pay at what stage.
The Operator’s case is that the terms and conditions for parking are clearly displayed throughout the disabled parking areas and state that motorists parking in disabled bays must clearly display a disabled badge. Copies of the conditions have been produced. They also state that a failure to comply with the restrictions mean that a parking charge notice will be issued. The Appellant does not dispute this.
The Appellant made representations, stating that he has a disabled tax disc and he was with his disabled son. In addition the Appellant states that the Operator has no legal right to enforce parking charge notices issued on this land, and that the charge bears no relation to genuine loss to the Operator.
The Operator rejected the representations, as set out in the copy of the notice of rejection they sent, because no valid disabled badge was displayed on the windscreen.
The Operator submits that their authority to issue parking charge notices is not in question. In Paragraph 46 of the decision in VCS v HMRC it states:
VCS is permitted under the contract [with the landowner] to collect and retain all fees and charges from parking enforcement action
Membership of the Approved Operator Scheme does require the Operator to have clear authorisation from the landowner (if the Operator is not the landowner), to manage and enforce parking. This is set out in the BPA Code of Practice. Therefore the Operator is likely to have authority to issue parking charge notices.

---------- 3 5 March 2013
However, as the point was raised by the Appellant, then the Operator should address it by producing such evidence as they believe shows that they do have authority. The Operator states that they are not obliged to provide a copy of any authority but that if I wish to see it they will discuss the matter. However I may only make a decision on the basis of the evidence submitted to me and I am not permitted to enter into discussions with the parties. A copy of the contract has not been produced.
Having carefully considered all the evidence before me, I must find as a fact that, on this particular occasion, the Operator has not shown that they have authority to issue parking charge notices. As the Appellant submits that the Operator does not have authority, the burden of proof shifted to the Operator to prove that they do. The Operator has not discharged the burden. Further to this, the Operator has not clearly stated how much the Appellant should pay and when, whether £75 within 7 days, £57 within 14 days or £95 within 28 days.
Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.
Shona Watson
Assessor

So lets see what PCM / Meadowhall have to say about this now as they have well and truly ignored my LBA

--------------------
ParkingEye Ltd
Roxburghe (UK) Limited

+Quote Post
SchoolRunMum
post Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 18:50
Post #111

Well done! Yes, very interested to see what Meadowhall have to say about his now if you just send them a copy of the decision and say summat like:

'POPLA have, as expected, upheld my appeal even though your agent PCM would not desist. PCM now have to drop this unlawful charge because their fake tickets are unclear and they failed to show a copy of the contract with yourselves. POPLA did not even need to consider the disability issues in my case since ALL PCMs tickets are non-compliant, a matter I am sure you will want PCM to rectify before they can pretend to 'fine' anyone else on your land.

But that is most certainly not the end of the matter as far as I am concerned; I cannot overlook the fact that the Equality Act 2010 was breached and I was unlawfully harassed, intimidated and severely inconvenienced by PCM's threats - and they are your agent, so you are liable for their actions regarding any disability discrimination. I remind you that I had a legal right to park in that disabled bay unharassed, under the Equality Act, and an agent's signs cannot circumvent the law by misleading visitors into believing that the (Council only, on-street only) irrelevant Blue Badge scheme is the only indicator of disability need allowed.

Now are you going to apologise and settle the matter out of Court for the sum requested for harassment damages in my Letter Before Action - or am I going to have to just go ahead and file the attached Small Claim form naming you as one of several parties liable for your agent's actions? Take formal notice that I will now pursue the latter course of action unless this is now settled to my satisfaction within seven days of the date of this letter, and you undertake to prevent your parking agent from breaking the Equality Act and the BPA Code of Practice in future. I expect an undertaking in writing not to put fake PCNs on any car in future which has a disabled tax disc or any other clear indicator of such need.' Enclose a copy of a form, filled out (get it from your local County Court).

This post has been edited by SchoolRunMum: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 19:10

+Quote Post
trubster
post Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 19:05
Post #112

QUOTE (SchoolRunMum @ Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 18:50) *
Well done! Yes, very interested to see what Meadowhall have to say about his now if you just send them a copy of the decision and say summat like:

'POPLA have, as expected, upheld my appeal even though your agent PCM would not desist. PCM now have to drop this unlawful charge but that is most certainly not the ends of the matter as far as I am concerned. I have been harassed, intimidated and severely inconvenienced by PCM's unlawful threats - and they are your agent, so you are liable for their actions regarding any disability discrimination. I remind you that I had a legal right to park in that disabled bay unharassed, under the Equality Act 2010.

Now are you going to apologise and settle the matter out of Court for the sum requested for harassment damages in my Letter Before Action - or am I going to have to just go ahead and file the attached Small Claim form naming you as one of several parties liable for your agent's actions? Take formal notice that I will now pursue the latter course of action unless this is now settled to my satisfaction within seven days of the date of this letter, and you undertake to prevent your parking agent from breaking the Equality Act and the BPA Code of Practice in future. I expect an undertaking in writing not to put fake PCNs on any car in future which has a disabled tax disc or any other clear indicator of such need.' Enclose a copy of a form, filled out (get it from your local County Court).

Thanks SRM, I will hand deliver one to the chap who wrote me that lovely letter and based on his response there and then, I will forward copies of the same letter to PCM and all other parties involved

--------------------
ParkingEye Ltd
Roxburghe (UK) Limited

+Quote Post
SchoolRunMum
post Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 19:25
Post #113

Have added in a bit more in an edit (as you do!) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lynnzer
post Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 19:44
Post #114

Member No.: 4,813

Just making a remark. Shona seems to have been well trained by us at throwing out a claim when the question of landowner rights are questioned.
I would think this point would win perhaps 95% of all appeals.

--------------------
The Asda shopping trolley parking ticket enthusiast

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 20:14
Post #115

Member No.: 49,223

Brilliant!!! Good news. I'm getting to like Shona. But do they only have one adjudicator???

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
bama
post Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 21:33
Post #116

Member No.: 4,323

'POPLA have, as expected, upheld my appeal even though your agent PCM would not desist. PCM now have to drop this unlawful charge because their fake tickets are unclear and they failed to show a copy of the contract with yourselves. POPLA did not even need to consider the disability issues in my case since ALL PCMs tickets are non-compliant, a matter I am sure you will want PCM to rectify before they can pretend to 'fine' anyone else on your land.

But that is most certainly not the end of the matter as far as I am concerned; I cannot overlook the fact that the Equality Act 2010 was breached and I was unlawfully harassed, intimidated and severely inconvenienced by PCM's threats - and they are your agent, so you are liable for their actions regarding any disability discrimination. I remind you that I had a legal right to park in that disabled bay unharassed, under the Equality Act, and an agent's signs cannot circumvent the law by misleading visitors into believing that the (Council only, on-street only) irrelevant Blue Badge scheme is the only indicator of disability need allowed.

SRM, I love you.

--------------------
Which facts in any situation or problem are “essential” and what makes them “essential”? If the “essential” facts are said to depend on the principles involved, then the whole business, all too obviously, goes right around in a circle. In the light of one principle or set of principles, one bunch of facts will be the “essential” ones; in the light of another principle or set of principles, a different bunch of facts will be “essential.” In order to settle on the right facts you first have to pick your principles, although the whole point of finding the facts was to indicate which principles apply.

Note that I am not legally qualified and any and all statements made are "Reserved". Liability for application lies with the reader.

+Quote Post
SchoolRunMum
post Wed, 6 Mar 2013 - 00:18
Post #117

QUOTE (bama @ Tue, 5 Mar 2013 - 21:33) *

SRM, I love you.

Awww...shucks!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
ItchyCrakus
post Wed, 6 Mar 2013 - 10:12
Post #118

Member No.: 54,557

Get a room or use a dating site you two. biggrin.gif

Go get 'em Trubby

This post has been edited by ItchyCrakus: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 - 10:13

--------------------

accusare nemo se debet, nisi coram Deo

+Quote Post
zamzara
post Wed, 6 Mar 2013 - 12:17
Post #119

Member No.: 1,898

You may have won the appeal, but I think POPLA won themselves a case of fudge!

--------------------
Posts by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

+Quote Post
instrumentsofjoy
post Wed, 6 Mar 2013 - 13:39
Post #120

Member No.: 45,808

Am I right in thinking that this means all appeals to POPLA which ask for a copy of the contract between landowner and PPC will succeed?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 15:51
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here